Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy, and possible owner.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, and possible owner.

Hey everyone, names Evan. I have been in love with the Challenger since my uncle owned a 70's challenger. I finally have the funds to purchase a new vehicle, and the Challenger is top on my list. The only problem....

Reliability. After reading many articles from Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, and online websites, I found a reoccurring theme. Dodge vehicle are some of the most unreliable vehicles on the market. And when I start comparing it to my other possible choice. (The Toyota FJ Cruiser, Yes I am part of their forum too) I find myself worrying about my beloved Challenger becoming a money pit.

Is there any truth to this? I am looking into the 2011 Challenger Rallye, and I hope to get 150,000 miles out of it, before real problems start to occur (I.E Engine, Tranny, ect).

I was hoping the Challenger wizards on this forum would be able to help me.

To answer some questions you might have.

I don't drive like I am being chased by the devil.
I do keep up with regular oil changes.
I don't plan on pushing it to hard, acceleration, braking, racing wise. Only occasionally when some Aftermarket Nissan Tuner revs at me.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Can't speak for others but my Challenger has been very reliable. I purchased my 2008 SRT8 new back in 2008, and have no issues with the Challenger. In fact I have to say, that it's been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It's been reliable, and other than a recall on the key fob for reprograming.....never a problem. I should add that I don't "hot dog" much and never race it. Just a real nice cruiser... I find it interesting that you say you keep finding a reoccurring theme that the Challenger is unreliable as most of what I have read never even mentioned it. In fact the only reoccurring theme I have found deals with the size and weight of the Challenger. Which is really funny, because if you look at the Camaro, it's only between 300 and 500 pounds lighter.......
Most writers who say the Challenger is unreliable are still living in the '70's when most Chrysler products had quaility issues......(Great Engineering, poor quaility control)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks. I was a real big Dodge guy, until I had major issues with a Status and Durango. Switched to Toyota. But after hearing about Fiat buying a good part of Chrysler, I decided to give it another look.

Sorry, I meant re-occuring reliability issues with Dodge and Chrysler itself, not the Challenger.