Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/)
-   -   YOUR THOUGHTS ON NITROUS? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/your-thoughts-nitrous-237/)

GENX_HEMI9 04-16-2006 10:41 PM

YOUR THOUGHTS ON NITROUS?

Would you use nitrous as a cheap upgrade instead of a supercharger? Why or Why not?

1 Bad Mirada 04-17-2006 09:31 AM

RE: YOUR THOUGHTS ON NITROUS?

i know lots of guys who run the bottle, and i have run it on a friends car. i have often thought about putting it on my car, but i have not...it is SO much cheaper than forced induction, and when done correctly, it isnt THAT much more dangerous than any other modification that will greatly increase the power.

GENX_HEMI9 04-17-2006 02:24 PM

My friend is going to run nitrous in his intrepid. he said the technology is getting better and safer for the engine.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-17-2006 05:15 PM

I agree in that initially it is the cheapest monsterous power you can get.

I don't want to worry about blowing my engine, whether my bottle is empty or not,
the expense of getting it refilled.

With a super/turbocharger it is there all the time. I like simplicity.

Which ever approach make sure it is done right.....nitrous or forced induction.

1 Bad Mirada 04-17-2006 10:01 PM

while nitrous is "safer" now, its still not safe when someone who doesnt respect it is using it...these peoples who throw together a nitrous kit without checking to see if its done right, then they wonder why it messes up their engine...thats why some tracks that i go to dont allow nitrous.

deranged 04-18-2006 03:12 PM

ALL MOTOR FOR ME.

BeeBlood 06-11-2006 08:35 PM

I have Nitrous on my 2000 Dakota R/T. From the show room I went 15.6 in the 1/4 mile to a best of 13.32 in the 1/4 using a 80 HP jet in the system and a pair of slicks. Cheap Horse Power, but you just have to be carefull not to over do it. Start at your lowest jet in your kit and make some passes. Check your spark plugs regularly (to see if you are leaning out) up your jet size if you and your vehicle are happy.

1 Bad Mirada 06-11-2006 08:50 PM

2.3 seconds is an INCREDIBLE drop in time for an 80 shot...youve done Nothing else? how are your short times and trap speeds?

BeeBlood 06-13-2006 06:51 AM

Here are some runs that I made with the different nitrous shots;

Stock from the showroom
.052 Reaction, 2.373 60', 15.770 ET, 86.524 MPH
.086 Reaction, 2.277 60', 15.634 ET, 86.575 MPH
Stock from the showroom with slicks
.004 Reaction, 2.186 60', 15.373 ET, 88.535 MPH
.099 Reaction, 2.191 60', 15.345 ET, 88.969 MPH

40HP Shot
.091 Reaction, 1.872 60', 13.939 ET, 96.079 MPH

.027 Reaction, 1.998 60', 13.998 ET, 96.390 MPH

80HP Shot
.004 Reaction, 1.822 60', 13.529 ET, 93.061 MPH
.003 Reaction, 1.799 60', 13.495 ET, 95.454 MPH

With the 80HP jet, I found the stock set up did not like it (started eating spark plugs - leaning out) and I was not about to start making modifications on a new vehicle with only 2500 miles on it.
I went back to the 40HP jet, and never had a problem. Again I ran it as it came from the show room only with these modifications;
-M/T Drag ET Slicks, Nitrous and a line lock for burnouts & startline launchs.
There is draw backs: nitrous bottle fill-ups unless your track has on site refills, I ended up buying a second bottle so that I would not run out. consistancy - there are a lot of varriables to consider with nitrous - bottle pressure, temperature etc... it's a learning game.

1 Bad Mirada 06-13-2006 09:51 AM

oh, i understand the hassles of the bottle..i have run a bottled car...did the ET Drags go on when you went with the 40 shot at first? i feel that they must have, as pulling a 1.8x 60' time would be pretty incredible on the stock tires.

BeeBlood 06-15-2006 05:21 AM

Yes, once I had the slicks, they stayed on...it sure made a difference in hooking-up off of the line. I started out with a ET Drag slick then switched to the ET Street...that made a difference as well.
The stock tires, without nitrous, were spinning so bad off the line, it was hard to be consistant for bracket racing. I coulding imagin what it would have been like on the bottle. The cost for the factory tires were crazy as well...I couldn't afford to be replacing them regularly.

RLSH700 07-20-2006 08:38 PM

Doesn't this wear out the engine much faster than either Turbochargers or Superchargers?

1 Bad Mirada 07-24-2006 11:21 AM

when installed properly, it is no more harmful than a properly installed turbocharger or supercharger application. The problem is that a "proper setup" is typically very expensive.

the reason that nitrous oxide has such a bad rep is that it is far easier to 'throw together', and its cheaper than a decent turbo or blower setup. so what happens is that kids who want to go faster without alot of money buy themselves a nitrous kit for 600 or so bucks, and that kit can provide about 100hp. that basic kit can still be done "safely", but some cars (such as my stratus) just dont take to nitrous. when you hear about someone adding nitrous and blowing the engine 10 minutes later, they are typically cheap and lazy. they buy a basic kit which only includes a bottle, the lines, and a swtich/solenoid to activate the system. they put a switch on the steering wheel or something, and push the button like the guys on the fast and the furious...:eek:

When the basic kit is hooked up correctly (and "Safely") it will typically be a wet kit. the difference between a wet kit and dry kit is that on a wet kit, there is a nozzle that introduces the nitrous oxide into the system, but there is also a nozzle that adds addition gasoline, thus preventing the car from running lean, or at least lessening the concern of running lean. ideal internal combustion occurs at 14.7 to 1 air to fuel. so for every 1 part of fuel, you have 14.7 parts of gasoline. it is far more complicated than just that, but for this discussion, that amount of information will suffice. some cars, such as something like an SRT4, will have an air to fuel ratio of around 12 to 1...the lower the first number is, the "richer" your engine is...the higher that first number is, the leaner it is. too rich will cause the engine to produce less power, too lean will cause the engine to create tremendous amounts of heat, thus doing things like breaking pistons, rods, etc. adding the additional fuel with a wet kit allows you to run more nitrous without a fuel system controller/piggyback, thus preventing the engine from going too lean, but it only does so much as it is a VERY small amount of gasoline.

all types of forced induction, be it nitrous, turbo, or a supercharger, builds excess heat, hence intercoolers on a turbo or blower setup. the problem is that when nitrous is thrown on a car, it is a far more violent form of adding horsepower. with a supercharger, say that you run 14 pounds of boost which in a perfectly efficient engine (which none are) will roughly double your horsepower. the internal speed of the supercharger increases with engine rpm, so the added power is progressive, and not all at once. a turbo works the same way, but it is even more progressive, since the turbocharger internal speed is fully dependant on the flow of the exhaust gas, and not a belt.

say that youre running the proper amount of boost with a turbo or supercharger to add 100 horsepower to an engine which makes 200 stock hp. with a turbo, at idle, you are receiving very little, if any, gains since the turbo has not spooled up to the proper internal rpm range. a supercharger will have the same effect...as you begin to accelerate with either setup, and your engine rpms increase so does the boost, so the power is added gently, over the power curve, so you may not actually make 100 more horsepower until something like 2500-3000 rpm (just a random number for the example, actual numbers vary greatly) a thrown together nitrous setup is the opposite. as soon as you activate the system and the nitrous is injected into the system, it is adding the amount of nitrous needed to provide 100hp, all at once, so with the flick of a switch you go from 200 to 300hp...that is much harder on the engine than just adding the amount of boost to add 100hp.

the most correct way to run nitrous, and the way that some people successfully and safely run HEAVY nitrous for a long time is to run an progres

TechmanBD 07-24-2006 11:39 AM

None for me. Even with my current car, I want to keep it N/A. DOn't know if I will ever goto a drag strip, I am more interested in going to a track day at a road course or AutoX.

RLSH700 07-25-2006 02:00 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, Patrick. Just goes to show that the old saying is true. "What you pay for is what you get." That does make a lot of sense. Gradual changes are the way to go. Instantous changes are too violent on the engine. It is just like shifting a manual transmission. You don't rev the engine to its top rpm speed and ingauge the clutch, you start off low and build you way up. Reving at the top level is too violent for the transmission and tares the transmission apart eventually.

The Fast and The Furious movies are inaccurate? No!;) You have to be kidding!:D Yeah there is a reason why people don't use movies as a source for an argument. There is a difference between fantasy and reality. It is humorous when you really look at how inaccurate these movies really are. These people who make these movies have about the same IQ as the people who add the cheap Nitrous Oxide Systems. Room temperature.

Jeremiah 29:11 07-25-2006 05:23 PM

That is so true, even some superchargers and very shocking because they ramp up so quickly even in the low RPM range which is another
reason centrifugals superchargers have become popular.

RLSH700 07-26-2006 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

That is so true, even some superchargers and very shocking because they ramp up so quickly even in the low RPM range which is another
reason centrifugals superchargers have become popular.
Didn't Ford have an issue with this on the Thunderbird Super Coupe (S/C) 1990-1995 model?

Jeremiah 29:11 07-26-2006 05:13 PM

I have not a clue.

I am only familiar with Taurus (about 15) and no experience with Thunderbirds.

RLSH700 08-04-2006 09:37 PM

I thought I read something about that with the T-Bird. I know the NA model of the 3.8L V6 T-Bird had Head Gasket problems, but I think they had even more problems due to the supercharger putting on too much pressure too quickly.

mstrueby 09-14-2006 09:43 AM

I dont know about u but if i want preformecne on demand i would take a supercharger or a turbo charger but cause nitrous only works untill u run out and i have never bought nitrous before but i would say its very exspenive. and ne ways nitrous (if not used properly will blow ur motor faster then crap.

1 Bad Mirada 09-14-2006 02:23 PM

nitrous is no more dangerous than a supercharger or turbocharger, when done properly....we hear alot of horror stories about nitrous because morons who know nothing about it try to install it themselves. also, nitrous is far cheaper for the initial setup, and while it is expensive to fill the bottles, compare a decent nitrous setup at 500 dollars, to a crappy supercharger setup at 4000 dollars...you can fill alot of bottles before you are losing money to a supercharger setup. nitrous is a couple bucks a pound...ive seen prices ranging from 2-5 dollars per pound...an a typical system holds 10lbs, more or less depending on the bottle. so, youre looking at around 35 bucks a fill, on average. i ran a friends car for a whole summer at the track on 2 bottles, with a 65 shot.

airfueleddie 11-26-2006 06:51 PM

I look at Nox, superchargers, turbos all in the same light. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and its wonderfull. I dont know of any other way to make ridiculous amounts of H.P. and Tq. I personally like all-motor cars but I think its great and would LOVE to build something and use it bigtime, I have ridden in a car on the bottle,(69 Charger R/T 440-two fours,) it was unbelievable. He would burn rubber at 50 and accelerate to 100+ in no time and I thought this is the fastest car I have ever been in!!He had an adjustable 150 H.P. shot max and he became a juice junkie overnight!!

Old_Goat 05-03-2007 11:46 PM

Nitrous, no. Heard too much bad stuff, plus one day my wife was looking over my shoulder as a Cobra blew off it's intake on some internet video site.

Supercharger, turbo. Right now on my 2005 GTO a maggie supercharger is around 6K. I'm not spending that kind of money to knock off a second. I am not up on MOPAR products enough to know how much a supercharger/turbo cost for the 6.1 SRT engines, but I imagine it is pretty expensive.

Looking at the new Challenger, it will probably run high-mid 12's from the factory. I am figuring this as the 6.1 SRT 300 turns a 13.2 or so, and I figure the new Challenger will weigh about 500 pounds less. 500 pounds less= .5 faster in the quarter. Now add some DR's, a tune, maybe a new stall and you are in the high 11's. That is plenty fast enough for me. If I can get a straight up kill on a Z06, it's a good day.

lear4406 05-04-2007 07:12 AM

Very good point, don't 1/2 way it. Do all the mods and the supporting mods. Get the right guages and know what is going on in your engine. Wide band O2 on any nitrous or Forced Induction. Also exhaust temp is of help. All this to prevent detonation and lean mix. Plan the work and work the plan. When building the engine, build it with the mods of these performance enhancers in mind. Start out with the smallest jets or boost and move up according to what your guages are showing to be safe.

MotionParts.com 06-21-2007 02:04 PM

love the signature