Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   1959 Chevy El Camino (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/1959-chevy-el-camino-6853/)

stevelegel 09-04-2009 03:58 AM

1959 Chevy El Camino

Wednesday and Thursday accomplished major milestone on Chevy project. The underside repair and detailing is complete. I spray painted all the underbelly sheet metal and by hand, painted all the framerails and suspension parts. I used specially formulatred color and texture to reproduce factory original look. Today I'll finish two small details then turn my attention to engine compartment.

stevelegel 09-04-2009 03:59 AM

I found an old post of mine from June about starting the project, by removing layers of old rustproofing. I've since scraped it with heat gun, washed it down with laquer thinner and a scotchbrite pad, cut out, fabricated a dozen rust repairs, detailed the repair areas...and then some... 2 to 3 hours 3 to 4 nights a week. Completing the underside

I enjoy the satisfaction of the process. Update photos soon.

RUBBERBNDMAN 09-04-2009 09:20 AM

Sounds like fun. I wish I had a shop.

stevelegel 09-04-2009 12:48 PM

I outgrew the back yard early on. It is critical to have space, a hoist and the right tools...otherwise it is all suffering and no satisfaction

stevelegel 09-04-2009 01:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
couple photos..from hole in floor board to underside detailing

66inxs 09-05-2009 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I too own a 59 el camino. it has a 62 283 with power pack heads and a 3 on the tree tranny. it is one of my favorite cars. people stare at it like it is a space ship when i am driving it. i have the coffin rails on it too. glad to see that someone else is doing one too. 59 chevies - people either love them or hate them. no middle ground lol. let me know if you need any pix to help your project as mine is a complete running car

stevelegel 09-05-2009 03:57 AM

Thanks for sharing. As my projects go, this was a great raw car. From Texas, some but not major, rust under rustproofing, all parts are there and it runs! My 1970 Challenger I dragged out of the mud of a dirt floored pole barn. It had been drag raced and left partially disassembled. I'll keep you in mind as a resource.
Steve

66inxs 09-05-2009 04:12 AM

mine is a north dakota car so there is no rust on it, it was owned by a owner of a construction company who had his shop crew work on it when there was no equipment to repair. he got to old to drive it as there are on power assists on it. i found it on ebay with 1 minute to go. it said reserve lowered next bidder makes reserve i bid one dollar more as a joke and won the car, so i guess i was meant to have it. i have had it over 8 years and found the parts i needed to complete it on ebay. i thought it was a fun project too and have never seen another one at a cruise in or show which makes it neat too. glad to be of help if needed. i wanted one of these since i was a kid and looked over 20 years before i found the right one for thee right price. these are pretty rare now.