Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Backup plan? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/backup-plan-1294/)

Olds442 05-01-2007 01:58 AM

Backup plan?

Has anyone else given it thought of what kind of vehicle they would get if for some reason..

- the new Challenger fell through
- they didn’t have enough money to afford this kind of car
- not practical
- other responsibilities
- anything I couldn’t think of

I think I would have to say a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

WhiteHeat 05-01-2007 09:47 AM

RE: Backup plan?

Backup plans? Sure:

If I NEED a car before the Challenger is available (not likely): '07 Eclipse

If the Challenger is too expensive (over $35K): '08 Accord Coupe if it looks as good as promised.

I would also consider the new Camaro and the Mustang, but I'd probably pick the Accord. The concept Camaro interior is too gaudy and I've had a bad history with Fords.

Heat

TechmanBD 05-01-2007 09:57 AM

Already have my back up. The pic of what I have in in my avatar. I couldn't wait and I don't see the Challenger being in the price range I would pay.

lear4406 05-01-2007 11:06 AM

I would not buy a car if the Challenger were to not be available. I own 5 cars and the money would be split between them. I really don't need this Challenger, I just want it, its what I've been waiting for from Dodge. The newest car I own is a 1993. So they have'nt built a car that I would consider until now.

Cuda340 05-01-2007 11:21 AM

I have decided to wait for the 2009 Challenger SRT.

If DCX pulled the plug on the Challenger, I would buy a Charger SRT.

MGDMike 05-01-2007 12:02 PM

I have no clue.. maybe a Sebring.

wallstreetman 05-01-2007 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

I have no clue.. maybe a Sebring.

My girlfriend just bought one and everyone says how expensive it looks! Classy car!

pcoxe 05-01-2007 07:02 PM

If Dodge cancels the Challenger, I'll probably go to the other extreme and see what Chevy does with the Volt hybrid concept car. If I can't get maximum performance, I'll go for maximum fuel economy instead.

Jeremiah 29:11 05-01-2007 07:05 PM

How about a Hemi hybrid? LOL!

Can you imagine a Hemi Hybrid Challenger?

Hybrid Hemi Chrysler Aspen On The Way in 08

The headline says it all. Chrysler is planning to release a Hemi-powered hybrid engine in 2008 under the hood of the Aspen SUV, along with its Dodge Durango twin. The company claims the hybrid system – jointly developed with BMW and GM (minus the Hemi of course) — will deliver 25% better fuel economy and 40% better efficiency in the city.

There are no exact mileage estimates, but using the current gas-powered Hemi Aspen’s EPA figures — 14/19 mpg city/highway — this would bring city mileage up to 19.6 mpg, with the highway seeing much less of an increase, up to just more than 23 mpg. All figures are using the 2007 EPA guidelines.

The company doesn’t say if horsepower or torque will be increased, but they should be higher than the current 335 hp and 375 pounds-feet of torque. There’s also no mention of an exact release date but it will definitely be in calendar year 2008. The thinking behind such a move probably has to do with the fact that poor mileage has hurt large SUV sales along with the fact that the cost of such systems will likely be more easily absorbed in a higher priced vehicle.

Paladin06 05-01-2007 07:15 PM

Yep, a 1969 Road Runner.

Keninpa 05-01-2007 11:28 PM

I'd go back to my original plan of a few years ago and buy a '70 Challenger. Then do some conservative resto-mods to make it a great drive-it-anywhere car.

I put off buying the '70 when I heard the about the new Chally. If dealer markups make a new one too expensive, putting the money into a true musclecar classic makes more sense to me.

RLSH700 05-01-2007 11:38 PM

We've already discussed this topic before, but that was a while ago. I would probably go with a Charger R/T or SRT-8. I want a muscle car or a full-sized high-powered V8 while I can get one. I might also consider getting a used Viper. You can find those at a reasonable price with low miles.

Nags 05-02-2007 12:49 AM

If i can't get a challenger for the price i wnat i will look at the new Camero or a new Mustang GT

70sguy 02-03-2008 04:17 AM

there is no backup plan, I'm getting an 08 tangerine, currently have f150 supercrew lariat 4x4, sport trac, and accura TL type S, which is very fun to drive

Yankee 02-03-2008 04:53 AM

I'll be officially ready for a Challenger when the lease on the Camry is up in Sep 09 (can't come soon enough for both events). If by some chance the dealers are still trying to gouge the holy hell out of the Challengers or I can't get what I want, I'll "settle" for an SRT8 Charger, maybe a slightly used Statutory Grape one (a.k.a Plum Crazy). Or I might go for an 06 Inferno Red Ram SRT10 standard cab.

By that time I will have been driving my 04 Ram Hemi for 5 years and also the wife's Camry for what I'm sure will have seemed like an eternity... I'll definitely be ready for something with some serious speed! :D

DSkippy 02-03-2008 05:17 AM

RLSH700,

Yeah, I was relaying that to a friend the other day and started to wonder why I wouldn't go that approach, then I remembered how particular the wife is about not having the kids clutching for life to the hood of the car as we go places!;)

I really did wonder though for a moment before remembering, oh yeah kids....oops....

So, I'll just encourage one of my co-workers to do this on behalf of me.

kramtrah 02-03-2008 09:03 AM

my backup plan was buying some scale models as saying that was my Challenger, but diligently saving and paying off everything else, that backup is now reduced to only getting a sublime Challenger SRT8. I am ready for the day to make that order, but considering there has already been a two year wait I can wait just a little longer. As for now, I'll just continue to milk every mile out of my '93 Dakota and the wife drives her '04 Durango.

Rich Knapp 02-03-2008 09:58 AM

My back up plan has 3 folds for Sep.
1. I get an R/T ( best case)
2. I get an new Ram 1500 R/T (if true)
4. I get a Mustage Bullit or GT

TeeWJay426 02-03-2008 10:51 AM

I'd just go without. I don't need a new car; the Challenger is probably the only one I might pull the trigger for.... probably find another classic for the fleet instead, since even if I did get a new Chally, it would still be more of a toy than daily transport anyway.

1 Bad Mirada 02-03-2008 12:04 PM

i hear you there...we dont have any need for a new car...im more worried about where im going to put some of them when that time comes. our driveway holds 5 vehicles and we have a slab out back in front of the shed where i keep the ramcharger in the summer...so six cars, and were maxed out...right now, we dont have the mirada or demon here...

BootCamp 02-03-2008 12:13 PM

I hear ya. Our driveway only holds three - nose to tail - so it's a "pressing need" to get the driveway widened this year. We've been putting it off, but can't any longer.
Moving my wife's Charger at 3:30 am to get my Cruiser out so I can get to work gets old in a hurry. Okay, it's been four years, so it's been old too long already.

Rich Knapp 02-03-2008 04:34 PM

We live in a apt. complex. no drive way or gorage. The Chally would be the weekend car and the 07 Caliber sport will be work car seen as we both work at the same very dusty place (halls bulk powdered cement and lime.). I would drive it in to work (work 2nd shift ) and wife (works days in office) would drive it home and leave Caliber there for me to drive home. The Chally would only have 1-2 hours in dusty lot then. But weekends it would be drive all the time.

Justinec101 02-03-2008 05:41 PM

If the challenger fell through for whatever reason I wouldn't jump on anything immediately. I'd spend a while comparing other new cars. There's the Pontiac G8, Hyundai genesis coupe, camaro, and redesigned mustang to look out for. I'd probably wait a couple years though, my current car works fine.

mopar2ya 02-03-2008 06:14 PM

Guess I'd have to wait for the 'Cuda!! :D

tdub2112 02-04-2008 10:25 AM

Can you say 2011 Challeneger!:D

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

How about a Hemi hybrid? LOL!

Can you imagine a Hemi Hybrid Challenger?

Hybrid Hemi Chrysler Aspen On The Way in 08

The headline says it all. Chrysler is planning to release a Hemi-powered hybrid engine in 2008 under the hood of the Aspen SUV, along with its Dodge Durango twin. The company claims the hybrid system – jointly developed with BMW and GM (minus the Hemi of course) — will deliver 25% better fuel economy and 40% better efficiency in the city.

There are no exact mileage estimates, but using the current gas-powered Hemi Aspen’s EPA figures — 14/19 mpg city/highway — this would bring city mileage up to 19.6 mpg, with the highway seeing much less of an increase, up to just more than 23 mpg. All figures are using the 2007 EPA guidelines.

The company doesn’t say if horsepower or torque will be increased, but they should be higher than the current 335 hp and 375 pounds-feet of torque. There’s also no mention of an exact release date but it will definitely be in calendar year 2008. The thinking behind such a move probably has to do with the fact that poor mileage has hurt large SUV sales along with the fact that the cost of such systems will likely be more easily absorbed in a higher priced vehicle.