Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Was it a charger or challenger..Question! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/charger-challenger-question-1802/)

Puthy 09-21-2007 03:18 AM

Was it a charger or challenger..Question!

So i was cruising around in my old town yesterday with one of my buddies. Well it always pisses him off because when i see someone selling older cars I have to stop and turn around (muscle cars of course and im 23). He got angry and i explained to him around here you might be able to get a classic body style that actually runs for very very cheap. Obviously it would be a project to put my sons to work in future and help me on Saturday's ^^

To get to the point sorry, it was flat really flat in front from google it looked like a charger...it said "dodge" on the front grill on the right. There was no identification anywhere marked as charger or challenger. I don't think it was a "dodge dart". What did catch my eye i believe in the front or back in the middle there was a red V, that didn't click anything in my head. Any answers at all would really be comforting right now.

Thanks,

Bill

Puthy 09-21-2007 06:51 AM

RE: Was it a charger or challenger..Question!

It was a 1971 charger looked like its in VERY good shape (frame paintjob) has brand new nice 15" tires white lettering and interior like i said looks flawless and its leather. He was "asking $7500" for it. The only problem is its packing a "318" engine in it...isen't that like really really small? I don't know much about motor's i just know my brothers 1993 f150 had something like a 350 big block i think? and it was uber fast. Well here we go compare it to this....318 in a charger and i drive a f150 v8 Tritan any knowledge would be very usefull.

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2007 07:17 PM

puthy....it depends on your definition of small. The 318 was a very common small V-8 engine and it usually had a a big 2 barrel. That being said, another common engine
in Ford was the 302 and it is also a small V-8 engine but both models could easily be fixed up to run fast.

RLSH700 09-23-2007 08:30 PM

Darn it, I was just home earilier today and I could have picked up my Mopar Muscle book to give you specific info. Okay, here is the best I can do off the top of my head. The 318 (which is a 5.2L engine just incase you were wondering) I think might have been the base engine in 1971, if not the slant six was. The engine output was around 230 gross hp, the next year when they switched over to net hp it was rated at 150hp. The 318 (5.2L) was built primarily for reliability and cost.

I don't know any acceleration times and I have absolutely no clue how it would feel behind the wheel. If the car is in good shape for that price, it is definitely something to consider. You can always modify it or drop in a larger engine if you want more power (which who doesn't).

If you brother has an 1993 F-150, I believe it would have the small-block 351 (5.8L) Windsor engine, unless he dropped in something bigger. That produced around 210-215 hp (net) unless it was the Lightning model which is very rare which produced around 240hp (net).

Comparing a 1971 Charger with a 318 to a F-150 is a very difficult comparison to make. They are two very different vehicles. When you make a reference to "Triton" are we still comparing your brother's F-150 or a different one? The Triton series started in the 1997 F-150, the one offered in the 1993 F-150 was a Windsor engine (completely different). Also what transmissions does each vehicle have equipped: auto or manual (if manual please list the number of gear ratios if possible)? In short, some more info might need be required.

Puthy 09-24-2007 04:27 AM

Thank you Rlsh for your wisdom. I know own a 2002 v8 triton i was comparing it to mine now. Regardless im going to have a 2008 challenger i was just thinking it would be great to have an older car to have something "productive" i like to call it, to play with on weekends.

RLSH700 09-24-2007 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Puthy

Thank you Rlsh for your wisdom. I know own a 2002 v8 triton i was comparing it to mine now. Regardless im going to have a 2008 challenger i was just thinking it would be great to have an older car to have something "productive" i like to call it, to play with on weekends.
No problem, it depends again on which engine it is. The 4.6L Triton generates around 231hp & 292ft-lbs of tq, 5.4L 260hp & 350ft-lbs of tq. The Triton is an SOHC 2 valve engine; meanwhile, the 318 (5.2L) is a classic OHV 2 valve (pushrod). The 318 tends to make its torque and the hp at the lower end being a pushrod and the Triton generates its power and torque towards the middle and higher end. Now those are all net ratings. The Charger wouldn't make a bad weekend car, the only thing is it will probably need more maintenance as it is an older car. Good luck with the decision making phase.