Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Chrylser to cut More jobs (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/chrylser-cut-more-jobs-1950/)

TechmanBD 11-01-2007 10:18 AM

Chrylser to cut More jobs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21566956/

12,000 more jobs on top of the 13,000 announced in Feb. I saw this coming when they said they wanted to strike and did for that 6 hours.

That is still something I can't figure out, how can the workers strike to demand more when the company itself isn't selling.

awsure 11-01-2007 10:31 AM

RE: Chrylser to cut More jobs

They run around with fingers planter firmly in their ears while loudly chanting la la la la la la la la la la la.

Paladin06 11-01-2007 11:03 AM

Simply put, they cut their own throat.

DSkippy 11-01-2007 12:02 PM

Yep. Sacrifices have to be made at all levels when a company is reeling. A job that doesn't have all the exact things you want is still better than no job at all.

TechmanBD 11-01-2007 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

Yep. Sacrifices have to be made at all levels when a company is reeling. A job that doesn't have all the exact things you want is still better than no job at all.

Yes, don't get me wrong, I am not just against the union workers. upper management also needs to cut some of the fat as well.

DSkippy 11-01-2007 01:00 PM

Yep. That's what I meant by all levels (thousand white collar jobs slashed too)...but upper level management has to buy into and sacrifice some of their perks and comps and most importantly obligations to retirees must be met.

I'm not against the union workers. My father put food on the plate and IBEW made sure his family (self included) had good benes to rely on. What I do observe, however, is many unions are rife with corruption. They are lead by people who have a vested interest in friction analogous to civil rights leaders; they need to create dis-satisfaction to justify their existence and this typically only benefits them. In many cases unions stifle competition internally from the workers/union members themselves and their initiative, and there is a culture of suppression towards ambition and upward mobility. Furthermore, there is many times a combative approach to relations with management.

I think they still serve a purpose, but they need to be restructured, and serve their members in a more productive positive manner. Save the battles for real injustices; encourage people to grow into whatever they wish. More people coming up through the ranks into management would certainly foster an empathy from higher ups. And a more team oriented approach between workers and management serves everyone. We all have different roles, skills and abilities and all are equally important.

Jeremiah 29:11 11-01-2007 03:37 PM

I have worked for companies that when business was bad then everybody took temporary cuts in pay, manufacturing went to a 4 day work week and you had
to tqake extra days off during the holiday season. The only guys that kept working were the sales teams.

Those union guys may work their way our of a job.

DSkippy 11-01-2007 06:16 PM

Yeppers. It seems the upper level mgmt of unions have at times had a real slash and burn philosophy to the providers of the jobs....I think Cerberus is making the tough decisions and they are going to get Chrysler where it needs to be....sure they'll be made to be the bad guys...but in a few more years..they'll be pumpin' out cars and hiring folks again....hopefully they will look to history and learn the lessons William Edwards Deming taught the Japanese mfgrs during his stay there during the implementation of the Marshal Plan....

Sad, this country's industries can't see the domestic brilliance available to it.....

Well I've got do battle w/ a universal remote...apparently my comcast box is out of this universe...'night everybody.

Jeremiah 29:11 11-01-2007 06:41 PM

Latest Chrysler cuts to idle workers at 3 local plants

11:39 am, November 1, 2007

Latest Chrysler cuts to idle workers at 3 local plants

Ending days of speculation, Chrysler L.L.C. said Thursday that it will slash 8,500 to 10,000 hourly jobs before the end of 2008, drop shifts at plants including three in Southeast Michigan and cut four vehicles from its lineup as it restructures under the ownership of Cerberus Capital Management L.P.

An additional 1,000 salaried jobs also are being cut along with about 37 percent of its contractors, the company said. Chrysler will also eliminate hourly and salaried overtime.

Chrysler will drop shifts at the Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit, the Sterling Heights assembly plant and the Mack Avenue Engine Plant II in Detroit. Shifts also will be eliminated at the Belvidere, Ill.; Toledo North; and Brampton, Ontario, assembly plants.

Chrysler will cut the Dodge Magnum, the Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible, the Chrysler Pacifica crossover and the Chrysler Crossfire convertible.

In the same time frame, Chrysler said it will add two new products: the Dodge Journey crossover and Dodge Challenger coupe, along with two new hybrid models, the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango sport-utility vehicles.

“The market situation has changed dramatically in the eight months since Chrysler established the Recovery and Transformation Plan as its blueprint,” Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli said in a statement.

“We have to move now to adjust the way our company looks and acts to reflect a smaller market,” said Tom LaSorda, vice chairman and president of the Auburn Hills-based automaker. “That means a cost base that is rightsized and an appropriate level of plant utilization.”

At Jefferson North, the second shift will be dropped in the first quarter of next year. In a release Thursday, Chrysler said it expects the plant to return to two shifts in the first quarter of 2010 with the introduction of the next generation of SUVs. Jefferson North builds the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander.

At Sterling Heights, the second shift will be eliminated in the first quarter of 2008. Sterling Heights builds the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring sedans and the Chrysler Sebring Convertible.

The Mack Avenue Engine Plant II will return to a traditional two-shift, two-crew operation in the first quarter next year after operating on a three-crew, two-shift, 120-hour-a-week schedule. The plant builds the 3.7-liter V-6 engine.

zman 11-02-2007 05:45 AM

RE: Latest Chrysler cuts to idle workers at 3 local plants

They are also laying off 1100 bodies at the Bramton plant up here in Ontario, due to the elimanation of the Magnum I assume.