Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Chrysler to lay off thousands of workers (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/chrysler-lay-off-thousands-workers-1948/)

Axel 10-31-2007 07:11 PM

Chrysler to lay off thousands of workers

Chrysler to lay off thousands of workers[/size]

DETROIT (AP) – Chrysler LLC began laying off thousands of salaried workers Wednesday as part of an effort to slash costs in the company's new era of private ownership, a spokesman said.

The cuts won't end there. On Thursday, Chrysler planned to announce the elimination of third shifts at the Toledo North plant in Ohio and the Belvidere plant in Illinois in the first quarter of 2008, according to two congressional aides with knowledge of the announcement. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

The decisions will eliminate 750 jobs in the Toledo plant, which makes the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro, and 1,000 jobs at the Belvidere plant, where Chrysler assembles the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot.

Chrysler spokesman Mike Aberlich said about one-third of the company's temporary workers will be laid off in the next few months, along with other salaried workers. Aberlich didn't disclose the number of workers that will be affected, but a person briefed on the plan said 1,000 salaried workers and 1,100 temporary workers – who work in engineering, finance, procurement and other areas – will be laid off.

The layoffs of temporary workers began Wednesday and will be completed by December. Salaried workers will be eligible for early retirement and separation packages beginning next month, said the person, who requested anonymity because the plan has not yet been announced.

The white-collar cuts come on top of the 13,000 layoffs Chrysler announced in February as part of a massive restructuring plan. Those cuts included 11,000 production workers, such as those in Toledo, and 2,000 salaried employees who also were offered buyouts or early retirement packages.

Chrysler became a private company in August when Germany's Daimler AG sold 80.1 percent of Chrysler to the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP. Chrysler's new chief executive, Bob Nardelli, has said the automaker is focused on raising cash for its turnaround.

Nardelli and Chrysler Vice Chairman Tom LaSorda didn't elaborate on the layoffs Wednesday during a trip to Washington to meet with lawmakers and the Bush administration on energy legislation, including upgrades to fuel economy regulations.

Nardelli said the final decision on the cuts came Tuesday during Chrysler's first board meeting as a private company. "Those are within the confines of the board and the board's decisions," he said of the layoffs.

Nardelli said the board meeting went well. He refused to say whether the board approved expected cuts in Chrysler's vehicle lineup.

"It's an interesting transition from public to private. I think that it was a very productive session for all of us," Nardelli said.

Chrysler and other automakers have opposed a Senate plan that would increase fuel economy standards 40 percent to a combined 35 miles per gallon for cars and trucks by 2020. Several automakers support an alternative that would mandate 32 to 35 mpg by 2022 and maintain separate requirements for cars and trucks.

"We're all hoping that we're going to have a reasonable compromise. These folks make trucks and they do a great job so we want to make sure Chrysler is strong," said Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), who joined Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich), George Voinovich (R-Ohio), and Kit Bond (R-Mo.), in a Chrysler meeting.

Nardelli said he was "down making some new friends and visiting some old" while discussing a broad range of issues affecting Chrysler.

"It's important, I think, for me to listen and learn and try to come up the learning curve right now," he said.

DSkippy 11-01-2007 05:37 AM

RE: Chrysler to lay off thousands of workers

More to this....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

looks like some of the picture of what's gettin' wacked is starting to emerge.....

"....The No. 3 Detroit auto maker will announce today that it will no longer produce the Pacifica crossover utility vehicle in Windsor or the Dodge Magnum in Brampton, Ont., and will also eliminate the Chrysler Crossfire sports car and a convertible version of the PT Cruiser, senior industry sources in Detroit said....."

I understand they are saying they're not going to produce them in Canadia (sic), but I would assume they are not going to begin these lines elsewhere.....

Albeeno 11-01-2007 08:40 AM

The company announced it will eliminate four auto models through 2008, including the Dodge Magnum wagon, the convertible version of the Chrysler PT Cruiser, the Chrysler Pacifica crossover and the Chrysler Crossfire sports car.

In the same time frame, Chrysler plans to add the Dodge Journey crossover and Dodge Challenger sports car, along with two new hybrid models, the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango.

"These actions reflect our new customer-driven philosophy and allow us to focus our resources on new, more profitable and appealing products," Jim Press, Chrysler's new vice chairman and president, said in a statement. "These product actions are all in response to dealer requests."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071101/chrys...cuts.html?.v=3

DSkippy 11-01-2007 09:57 AM

Yep. Looks official. Luckily...it's none of my favorites......I must say would have been cool to have a manual in the wagon....

Sad about the jobs, but ya gotta trim the fat (product lines not people) and ya gotta make a profit, otherwise everyone else will be out of a job when the company tanks....I think they'll be successful at leaning it up, and bring it (chrysler) back to fighting weight.

Axel 11-01-2007 12:44 PM

My fault, I was quick to post. I put this in the part of in the press, but forgot the part of the Challenger. Sorry about that guys. That's what I get for posting later at night after working a 13 hr day.