Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Comparison Test: Ford Mustang Shelby GT vs. 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/comparison-test-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-vs-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-2202/)

Paladin06 12-23-2007 01:55 PM

Comparison Test: Ford Mustang Shelby GT vs. 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

See it here on the right side. This will upset a lot of folks.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...icleId=124024#

bluestang50 12-23-2007 07:41 PM

RE: Comparison Test: Ford Mustang Shelby GT vs. 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123965

RLSH700 12-27-2007 01:42 PM

What upsets me is the lack of logical comparison. Why would anyone compare a premium priced Mustang that really offers pretty much nothing that would give the Mustang the edge over the STi to a compact wagon with a modified 4 banger? They are not in the same class and the people who like Mustangs are not going to be interested in practical car turned into a performance car due to dropping in a maxed-out small engine. Both are good cars in their respective classes, but if you are going to compare those cars they should compare the normal GT as it is a more accurate comparison because the Shelby model is just a trimming package in all truth. A better domestic to Japanese comparison would have been the Caliber SRT-4 to the WRX STi. Both are compact, turbocharged wagons. The advantage of the SRT-4 is the price and the advantage of the WRX STi is the AWD and higher output engine.

My advice to edmunds is compare apples to apples and not apples to carrots.

Albeeno 12-28-2007 09:35 AM

As a Mustang GT owner I am ashamed, embarassed, disgusted and shocked that a Shelby GT couldn't even beat this piece of crap, let alone a stock GT!

Even more reason/justification for me to get a Challenger...

RLSH700 12-28-2007 09:41 AM

In fairness Albeeno, this was not a fair or accurate match up. Generally a 300hp I4 car will beat a 300hp V8 car due to the weight difference between the two cars. If Ford would have dropped in a different engine for the Shelby GT such as a NA 5.4L it would likely have won in the acceleration matches, but smaller cars with AWD are more nimble and can do things that a traditional muscle car cannot do.

MGDMike 12-28-2007 09:53 AM

This test is absolute garbage. As you said RLSH700, they should really compare apples to apples. I'm hoping they set up this match just for fun but all that Mustang really is a dog and pony show (no pun intended).

BootCamp 12-28-2007 11:08 AM

Here's the main line I took away from the article:

If drag racing is your thing, the Mustang is your car. Slap on some drag radials and it'll likely run with the STI. Plus, it feels a hell of a lot less likely to self-destruct during a day of redline launches. Subarus have always proven durable during our testing, but the physical load on the STI's drivetrain during a hard launch is unquestionably violent.
The V8 Shelby is inherently stronger than the STI. It's been built to take the abuse over the long term. I consider ALL American-made cars to fall into a similar category.
Sure, the STI MIGHT perform better from the dealership as a new car - it's lighter - and subsequently flimsier.
Let's see which car outperforms the other when there's no coupons left in the payment books.....and which one is in better shape and brings a higher resale price at that time.
[sm=exactly.gif]

RLSH700 12-28-2007 11:38 AM

The other mind boggling thing is you have to take into account the base level prices of these two cars in order to get a real idea what you are comparing against each other. The normal Mustang GT costs around $27K while the base level STi is about $35K. They are comparing a car that has about $8K more into the overall package, although the Shelby adds the better suspension and interior, you could take the wiser approach of getting that better suspension without the collector's Shelby package (which I believe is optional and if not you can buy one aftermarket) for a much lower price. The interior issue is not that relevant as this is comparing performance cars.

The other thing you have to take into account is that the Subaru has already received forced-air induction, even though further mods can be done to this, the Mustang has more untapped potential that can be utilized. For the $8k difference you could supercharge the GT, improve the suspension, and make other changes while having a heritage muscle car instead of a super fast stationwagon. I'd take the Mustang GT anyday over the STi (especially since I could get one at a discount if I wanted to).

Albeeno 12-29-2007 07:51 AM

Just to clarify, the 2007 Shelby GT advertises 319 HP (not 300 like a base GT). My feeling is that a SHELBY should be able to run with, if not out-run, any Subaru...even if it does cost roughly $8K more. Furthermore, anyone who buys a "sports car" with AWD doesn't have any skills. Where's the "sport" in AWD, I ask?

I dunno - I shouldn't be this disturbed by the comparison, but I am...and I don't even own a Shelby! Eff Ford and Shelby I just lost a ton of respect! [:'(]