Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Cracked rockers (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/cracked-rockers-7366/)

RareTA 02-28-2010 04:31 PM

Cracked rockers

I've been reading about the problem with rockers cracking. So today I go out to the back garage and uncover the R/T. Sure enough the rockers are cracked and it's not been run since mid Oct. It's just been setting and they also cracked. Looks like I'll be going to Dodge tomorrow to see what they are going to do. I probably won't be able to get it out for at least another month though. Anyone else have this problem? It seems to be a cold weather problem I think.

PRND3L 02-28-2010 07:34 PM

i inspected mine tonight, they were fine on mine, but it only has 205 miles on it.

wp23n 03-01-2010 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by RareTA (Post 74412)
I've been reading about the problem with rockers cracking. So today I go out to the back garage and uncover the R/T. Sure enough the rockers are cracked and it's not been run since mid Oct. It's just been setting and they also cracked. Looks like I'll be going to Dodge tomorrow to see what they are going to do. I probably won't be able to get it out for at least another month though. Anyone else have this problem? It seems to be a cold weather problem I think.

i will have to go out and look at mine, my cars been parked for the most part since early November, had it out 3 times since with the last being the day i installed the new wheels and tires which was January 9Th.

I gotta tell you though, i sure am itching for a drive and with any luck it will be this coming weekend if the rain mid week is hard enough to wash the salt off the road.

RareTA 03-01-2010 04:20 AM

I don't think ours is from over abuse. We bought it mid March 09 and as of today or last October it has 1450 miles on it.

RareTA 03-01-2010 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This don't look to good. I emailed my salesman but have not heard back yet.

Cuda340 03-01-2010 02:08 PM

Cracked Rocker Panels

The cracked rocker panel problem is very common. On another forum, 48% of all Challenger owners polled have experienced this. Some of the suspected causes are:

1. Cheap plastics.
2. Body flex.
3. Cold weather.
4. 1/4" too short.
5. Garage car lifts.

If you go to the dealer, they should cover the replacement under your warranty. To be safe, print out the many complaints on the forums and take them with you. You should complain to customer service to document your problem. There is a writing campaign that is starting to make Chrysler produce better engineered replacements.

I have a cracked passenger side rocker and intend to get it replaced in the Spring.

RareTA 03-01-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda340 (Post 74437)
The cracked rocker panel problem is very common. On another forum, 48% of all Challenger owners polled have experienced this. Some of the suspected causes are:

1. Cheap plastics.
2. Body flex.
3. Cold weather.
4. 1/4" too short.
5. Garage car lifts.

If you go to the dealer, they should cover the replacement under your warranty. To be safe, print out the many complaints on the forums and take them with you. You should complain to customer service to document your problem. There is a writing campaign that is starting to make Chrysler produce better engineered replacements.

I have a cracked passenger side rocker and intend to get it replaced in the Spring.

I would go with #1&3. My car has been parked since Oct of 09 and not moved. So I think body flex is out and I don't have a lift. They were just fine when we cleaned and waxed it to put it away for the winter.

wp23n 03-02-2010 03:55 AM

im leaning towards the plastics compound or body flex/mounting method.

people in warmer climates have the problem and i doubt its
due to a garage lift because some of the guys cars have never
been on one unless the dealer puts them up to inspect before sale

RUBBERBNDMAN 03-03-2010 08:41 AM

Mine are fine. Daily driver in Seattle. It has seen 20-100 degrees in it's 18 months of life.

jjsipes 03-04-2010 04:35 AM

All four corners are cracked on mine. I got my at the end of April last year and it has less than 5,000 miles on it. It has been setting outside this winter but has not been driven for a few months now. This sucks.