Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Dearler Markups - The same rules apply. (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/dearler-markups-same-rules-apply-2023/)

Paladin06 11-21-2007 09:56 AM

Dearler Markups - The same rules apply.

Nissan can't prevent GT-R markups at dealer level
Filed under: Car Buying, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Nissan

Despite floating a plan that would attempt to stop the inevitable customer speculation in the GT-R by voiding the car's warranty if it were sold in the first year, Nissan has come to the conclusion that they are, frankly, powerless to stop it. The company says it gave up on the plan because it wouldn't be fair to the guy who really had to sell his car within that time.

The other folks who Nissan won't be able to stop from making a bundle by marking up the car are its own dealers, who, let's face it, are frothing at the mouth to have a GT-R on display in their showrooms. Honestly, after years of trying to push Maximas and Sentras, if you were lucky enough to get some GT-Rs to sell, wouldn't you add a little cream? For some new shoes for the kids? Especially since there will be only 1,500 sold the first year?

But by law Nissan can't tell dealers what they should and shouldn't charge. Instead, it will "counsel them on why they shouldn't." And when the dealers are finished nodding sagely, everyone can expect them to start adding zeros. It's not all free beer, though: dealers certified to sell the GT-R will need to shell out on additional training for their mechanics, and will need to adjust the car's transmission and drive shafts every three years, for free. That's money they will probably recoup on the markup from just one car...

TechmanBD 11-21-2007 10:29 AM

RE: Dearler Markups - The same rules apply.

That is what always bothers me about people complaining about the manufacturer for the mark ups. They really don't have a lot of control. They can express their thoughts, but the dealer can say nope. And as long as the dealer makes good sale numbers, there isn't really anything the manufacturer can do. Plus once a few dealers do it, the rest will follow because of the supply and demand.

TeeWJay426 11-21-2007 07:25 PM

The simple laws of supply and demand.... they can only charge what the public is willing to pay; watch what the Dodge dealers do when the Challenger finally does become available.

RoswellGrey 11-24-2007 02:28 PM

Which is EXACTLY why if they want ONE CENT over MSRP, let them gather cobwebs on the lot. A couple months of that will bring the Challenger down to normal prices.

Paladin06 11-24-2007 02:59 PM

If you think this car is going to sit on the lot, you're dreaming. They will not be able to build them fast enough, trust me..

RoswellGrey 11-24-2007 05:31 PM

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Too many people have more dollars than sense. I'm not one of them, however.

Jeremiah 29:11 11-24-2007 05:44 PM

Yep, and those are the ones that will retire broke.

DSkippy 11-25-2007 07:39 AM

Why should anyone resent anyone else for having some money?

If someone has the resources to pay premiums, God bless'em. I guess I don't. I mean I could pull it off, but I guess I'm not affluent enough to where it wouldn't be conceptually wrong (8 to 10K can find more use in my life than the "privilege" of owning the first ones).

But, at the same time, I'm happy for anyone who has the passion and the resources to do it. My point is just because I have to wait for prices to normalize, I'm not going to pout cast dispersions solely based on one's purchasing decisions. I'll get to enjoy the car as it passes on the road knowing my turn's coming. I think part of enjoying life is being able to enjoy a possession, even if it's only in your mind. With this said, the physical manifestation of this particular possession will be worth the wait and made sweeter with separation.

awsure 11-25-2007 11:52 AM

I think most of us simply do not ant to see the Challenger priced out of our reach and do not resent anyone with money. Historically this car was made & priced for the common man and I think that we would like to see that theme retained. A $35k-40k price tag, in most cases, falls right into what most of us can comfortably accept but when you start to think north of $50k most of us cringe. Hopefully we are anticipating the worst and we won't see markup like the GT500 (for example).

There are amazing cars out there like Lamborghini or high end Ferrari rockets that I may never have a shot at but Challenger is in my reach and DAMMIT it is beautiful. I am OK with some dealer profit as they need to make money but I'll be in a pissy mood if the car is so far out of my grasp that I have to settle for my Wal-Mart remote control one.

Jeremiah 29:11 11-25-2007 12:52 PM

Just for clarifcation, if you were referring to my comment about retiring broke, if somebody can afford the car that is great. I do not resent anybody for what car they buy.

My comment I made also in another post had to do with people that are so caught up with a particular car ( I have seen it a lot with Vipers) that affects
how they live their lives along with their wife and children to the point that they make horrible financial sacrifices for the sake of owning a car.

When you buy a car like that, I truly believe a person priorities are not aligned properly. People should not buy a car they cannot afford and as a a result are living in
a shack of a house.

Now the Challenger is different and has always been affordable in the past. That being said, I know that here are some people on this forum that will
buy a Challenger in the $40-$45k range and cannot afford it.

Bottom line: I think people should live within their means. If you have to get a V-6. Make a wise financial decision, and not one that will take you 4-10 years to recover from.

See this post I made back in June of 2006 as I used to be a financial planner and I liked helping people out:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3972