Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   EZ Lube Investigation (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/ez-lube-investigation-657/)

TechmanBD 09-21-2006 10:30 AM

EZ Lube Investigation

KNBC-TV
6:36 p.m. PDT September 20, 2006
A major auto repair chain is in big trouble with the state of California. The Bureau of Automotive Repair is now seeking to shut down all 76 EZ Lube stores in Southern California. This is partly a result of an undercover investigation by Joel Grover three years ago.

Video

JOEL GROVER: The state's case against EZ Lube is laid out in a huge accusation. The state began to investigate EZ Lube after watching our NBC4 investigation into this fast growing chain.

They're in almost every Southern California neighborhood... EZ Lube stores, offering cheap and quick oil changes.

But former managers have been telling us for years that cheating is rampant.

That's what we uncovered three years ago when we took undercover test cars to EZ Lubes? just for an oil change.

But at a Costa Mesa EZ Lube, they told us we need $200 worth of repairs, like flushing the transmission fluid.

UNDERCOVER VIDEO (EMPLOYEE): ?should be nice and red. You see how bad it is already.

JOEL GROVER: In fact it was bright red because our own expert had just changed it.

The Bureau of Automotive Repair began it's own investigation after seeing our undercover tape. They sent test cars to 29 EZ Lubes -- cars in great condition. But the state says every EZ Lube tested tried to sell them repairs that weren't necessary, like radiator flushes and new filters. And, sometimes, they failed to replace parts they charged the customer for.

The state says its case could result in local EZ Lubes being shutdown, at least temporarily, and that some customers could get refunds as part of a possible settlement.

EZ Lube would not go on camera. But the company's lawyer told me the state's charges are quote "bogus and wrong," and they intend to fight them. The case is now in the hands, of the California attorney general.

RLSH700 09-21-2006 11:29 AM

RE: EZ Lube Investigation

Reminds me of what happened at the Ford dealership in my hometown. Each time a person would go in, they would tell the people that the transmission fluid needed to be flushed. One person just to prove this had his daughter go in and had the transmission fuild flushed, then he took the car in the next day and they told him it needed a transmission fuild flush. I can't stand dishonest shops.

Also, I think someone should go undercover to these shops that only have Dexron/Mercon and ask them if they have the correct fluid for Chrysler transmissions. Then after they dump Dexron/Mercon in and it eats up the transmission, I think they should file a lawsuit, then make it a rule that these places must either carry the correct fluid or turn people away. I've known people who have been cheated because the shop wanted to save a few bucks.[:@]

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2006 05:57 PM

Dishonesty by a person is bad but can be forgiven, dishonesty by a company as a whole
and they should be shut down and people put in jail because there is more than one of them in colaboration.

RLSH700 09-21-2006 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Dishonesty by a person is bad but can be forgiven, dishonesty by a company as a whole
and they should be shut down and people put in jail because there is more than one of them in colaboration.
Very true. I believe the customers should have a fraction, if not all of their money refunded as well.

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2006 06:00 PM

Totally agree......I would just hate to be the accountant trying to make that happen for each customer......what a logistical nightmare.

TechmanBD 09-21-2006 06:05 PM

When I moved to VA, I went to Jiffy Lube(Another company under investigation), and I had just replaced the Air FIlter and they tried to tell me that I needed to change it, and that it would cost more for the oil because it was 4x4. I had the Ram back then. I was BS. I told the idiot, first of all, I changed the ait filter the day before, and then I told him, don't take me for an idiot. I know how to do all the sh&^ but it is illegal for me to in the aprtment complex. I left and went elsewhere.

I guess they think because people go to these places, they don't know the how to do the work themselves. Sometimes you don't have a choice. As in how my situation was.

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2006 06:09 PM

Yes, and if you don't want to have to mess with taking the oil to Walmart, sometimes it is cheaper for them to do it and dispose of the oil.

Even at the good places sometimes you might get an employee taking short cuts and so to eliminate that I usually strike up conversations with them
while they do the work and I keep an eye on things. The guys I use always show me the air filter and get my approval before they change it.

TechmanBD 09-21-2006 06:23 PM

That's cool. I do my own now since I am in a house. Except the Mustang. I take it to the dealer because I got that 4 year service agreement. But what I do and what I did back then was mark thel filter with a sharpie to make sur ethey put a new one on. ;)

RLSH700 09-21-2006 06:56 PM

The only place where I get my oil and stuff done is at my dealership and I didn't bring it to them until they earned my trust. I only use K&N air filters; therefore, I never have to replace it. I just wash it out once in a while.

The last place in the world I would bing my car to is Wal-Mart. I know too many horror stories about their "service."

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2006 09:06 PM

Dont' misunderstand me I didn't mean have your oil done at Walmart, but when you change your oil they have an oil disposal station where you can
dump your own oil. But it is a pain to mess with this old oil, but that way you dispose of it properly without dumping it down the drain or in your backyard which are against the law.