Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   First Drive In A 426 HEMI (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/first-drive-426-hemi-886/)

lear4406 12-10-2006 07:22 AM

First Drive In A 426 HEMI

The first Hemi I ever drove was over 20 years ago. And up until this year I have not had the pleasure of driving another. 20 years ago I belonged to a club called Mopar Muscle Club, and even became co-president of the North Carolina region for a short time until my children came along and I made the choice to put all my efforts into raising them. We had a meet in Concord NC in 1986 and many cars showed up, including a man who drove a 1966 426 Street Hemi Charger, Red with red interior. He was so impressed with the small gathering of about 20 cars that when we needed some items at the store, he let me drive his Charger to the store. He rode with me and I did not dog his car or drive it aggressivly in any way. But I did get to hear the rumble of the Hemi and feel the cars horsepower potential. It even squeeled the tires going to second gear with partial throttle. Fast forward to 2006, my sons 2006 Dodge Daytona GO Man Go Charger and a chance to feel the Hemi power once again. Yes he let me drive it and punch the throttle a few times. Any ways a lot has changed in 20 years and I recently ran into the gentleman who let me drive that awsome car from the 60s. I went to work at a Nuke station in SC and someone mentioned a man who worked there that had a 426 Hemi. He mentioned his name and it sounded familiar. I went to another part of the plant to see if he was the man who let me drive my first and only drive in a 426 Hemi. He was and we shared some nostalsia. Interestingly enough we were not in the same profession 20 years ago and had crossed each others path on more than a few occasions over the years as I have traveled the Nuclear path. He still has the Hemi Charger, but has not driven it in 6 years. Funny how our paths can go and do complete 360. Intersecting along the way and unless we know we are unaware about the people we have met along the way. I am thankful to have had the chance to run into him and relive a little of my youth. I'm sure that there are other people out there that I know and will run into at the Mopar meets along the way that I have'nt seen in many years. If you see me and I look familiar, please stop me and lets take time to relive our past. Even if its just for a short walk down memory lane. Ya'll stay safe and have a nice weekend, Randy.

RLSH700 12-11-2006 07:55 PM

RE: First Drive In A 426 HEMI

Oh, sounds fun! I hear a HEMI feels like no other engine.

jdb840 12-18-2006 03:40 PM

Amazing story, it's funny that stuff works out.

I wish I could get a chance to ride in a 426 hemi or anyone of the crate hemis. My dad owns a Ram with the hemi, my brother and I, bought him a flowmaster muffler for it last christmas. It does have a mean rumble to it:)

RLSH700 12-18-2006 07:53 PM

I'd be happy just to drive any HEMI (I haven't even been able to drive a new hemi powered car or truck yet).

jdb840 12-19-2006 04:49 PM

The truck is nice, but I beat the cars are way better. I think it's quick for a truck, but nothing to special as far as performance. I love the looks of it tho.

dinod7 12-21-2006 07:06 PM

I have a 04 Ram with the Hemi but I know it's nothing compared to the 426, although I've never driven in an original Hemi. It does ok, but I'm sure my 383 Chally will smoke the truck no problem, then again we are talking about a truck. Now I have driven a Hemi 300 and Magnum and between the two the 300 seems to have more of a pickup then the Mag so I can only assume the Charger would be a little quicker. But again, to compare the old and new Hemis...well I can't really do that but hopefully I will one day get a chance to at least ride in an old Hemi equiped Mopar. But at least I can say I have a Hemi!