Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Hood pins (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/hood-pins-7334/)

RareTA 02-21-2010 06:22 AM

Hood pins

I'm wondering it anyone here is using hood pins. My Duster and 70 T/A have them factory and I want them on my 09 also. I found a set from a Mustang web site ( American Muscle ). I just got them yesterday and WOW! These are heavy and you would have to look very close to tell they were fake. I'm going with the stick on ones as I just cannot drill big holes in my hood. No way No how! Anyway they are $75.99 regular price and they are now on sale for $56.99 with free shipping. What a deal! I have 4 feet of snow in my back yard so I cannot get the car out to put them on yet.

DGibson 02-21-2010 01:42 PM

I have the stick on ones as well. just like you , I dont want to drill holes in the hood.

canadiancanuck 02-21-2010 02:51 PM

I have the factory 74' pin kit, so I need to drill holes, do any members on here have them and can give me some pics of where they drilled the holes.

DGibson 02-21-2010 08:26 PM

you will probably have to set them back farther than what the originals are set at. the radiator brace is not that close to the front of the hood.

RareTA 02-22-2010 04:57 AM

Some people that use the real pins will make a bracket that mounts on the inner fender. This moves the pins out to the front of the hood. I've seen them mounted directly to the rad support but they look bad ( to Me ) that far back on the hood.

canadiancanuck 02-22-2010 10:11 AM

I was going to mount mine from the rad but tuck and hide the bracket under the black plastic rad cover, I think mine are long enough t o allow the 1/8" sink to hide the brackets. Trying to get them at least centered somewhat rather than close to the fender well, they look odd that widely spaced in my opinion.

RareTA 02-23-2010 02:07 AM

Here is where the 70's went. They are pretty close to the edge.

http://96.18.66.248/images/DSCF0001%20600.jpg

RareTA 02-23-2010 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I'm going to put mine. The guy said they are 4 ins in from the side and 4 ins up from the front. His are the stick on one like mine also.

canadiancanuck 02-23-2010 09:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
ahhhh I see, most of the setups I've seen have been more center:

BLK 6050 02-23-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by RareTA (Post 74306)
Some people that use the real pins will make a bracket that mounts on the inner fender. This moves the pins out to the front of the hood. I've seen them mounted directly to the rad support but they look bad ( to Me ) that far back on the hood.

I too plan on using "real" hood pins at a later date and I will be mounting mine more like the 70 Challenger (closer to the front corner of the hood). I really don't care for hood pins that are mounted farther up the hood as they just don't look right. (If you look at race cars, most have them mounted very close to the edge of the hood). As Canadiancanuck stated, I am going to mount a bracket under the black plastic rad cover to get the placement and look I want.
I just can't get into the look of "fake" hood pins on a muscle car, and when the hood goes up...looks very funny and loses the entire effect.
By the way, in the April 2010 issue of MCG they show real hood pins that Mopar plans on releasing, but they are mounted to far up on the hood. Hopefully, they will change the design and offer them with a bracket for mounting them closer to the front corner of the hood. We'll see......

canadiancanuck 02-23-2010 11:00 AM

^ I saw that as well, not a big fan where they mounted them either. I had looked at the stick ons but with our cold weather I couldn't see them staying on too long here, so I opted for the real pins, I have the Danko set, however the problem I've run into is I like the pins I have with this kit they are rounded at the top, but I don't like the flat hood plates, I want the raised hoodplate like oem with the rubber grommet underneath.

RareTA 02-23-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BLK 6050 (Post 74340)
I too plan on using "real" hood pins at a later date and I will be mounting mine more like the 70 Challenger (closer to the front corner of the hood). I really don't care for hood pins that are mounted farther up the hood as they just don't look right. (If you look at race cars, most have them mounted very close to the edge of the hood). As Canadiancanuck stated, I am going to mount a bracket under the black plastic rad cover to get the placement and look I want.
I just can't get into the look of "fake" hood pins on a muscle car, and when the hood goes up...looks very funny and loses the entire effect.
By the way, in the April 2010 issue of MCG they show real hood pins that Mopar plans on releasing, but they are mounted to far up on the hood. Hopefully, they will change the design and offer them with a bracket for mounting them closer to the front corner of the hood. We'll see......

I totally agree that the real ones would be much better. Unlike you guys I just don't have a big enough pair to drilling 10 holes on the hood.

canadiancanuck 02-23-2010 12:08 PM

^ hahahaha, I'm not to easy feeling in this either but when it's done right, it looks killer, I'm looking at getting it to a reputable body shop, pay extra but it's done right.

BLK 6050 02-23-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck (Post 74344)
^ hahahaha, I'm not to easy feeling in this either but when it's done right, it looks killer, I'm looking at getting it to a reputable body shop, pay extra but it's done right.

I am considering the same as taking a drill to my Challenger tends to bring on anxiety, even though I'm one of those who measures six times then drills (or cuts)...........I did it many years ago on my old Charger, but with the new Challenger.....better to pay upfront rather than pay later to fix what's been done.....

canadiancanuck 02-23-2010 03:42 PM

I had to order another set of pins this afternoon, I found a set of the rounded hood plates so I'm going to mix and match the locking lanyards from my current pins and the hood plates from the other set, I found them on afterthoughts auto, both sets.

can't wait I'm hoping to get this done before srpingfest.

BLK 6050 02-24-2010 06:35 AM

Be sure and post pictures of the completed install. And, if you make any brackets...perhaps you could supply the measurements for the rest of us who plan to do the same mod......

Good Luck.....

canadiancanuck 02-24-2010 07:22 AM

already ahead of you, I plan on taking pics from start to finish, measurements of hole, placement etc etc. kit part numbers and where I got them from.

info and pics are always good to have,

BLK 6050 02-24-2010 12:02 PM

Thanks for thinking about us..........you are the man.

canadiancanuck 02-24-2010 01:05 PM

I'll start this, and if I am in any relm of breaching any forum rules with vendor names, please let me know and I will make changes:

I purchased 2 pin kits from www.afterthoughtsauto.com

Kit #1 - SS-41 - $34.95 (Bought this kit for the locking pins and coated lanyards)
https://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/afterthough..._2095_16335310
Kit #2 - FTP-JGHPK - $50.00 (Bought this kit for the rounded hood plates)
https://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/afterthough..._2094_18951680

I mounted the lanyard end to the plastic fan shroud, just in the very upper corners of the grill.

I will be making the brackets and drilling the holes over the weekend, I will be using the existing circular holes already drilled by the factory asthey are pretty centered and in a good location.

stevelegel 02-25-2010 04:53 AM

Mopar Collectors guide magazine 4/2010 has photo and short review of hood pin prototype. They are set very far back, to catch radiator core support. I think article suggests adding strip of metal to bring forward...in development

BLK 6050 02-25-2010 05:38 AM

Just thought I would pass along the following information:
A company at the following web site www.btuckerinc.com has OEM Hood pin sets available with 18", 13" or 25" length lanyards at $27.00 a pair. They also have the '70 cuda "hood pin support brackets" for mounting of the hood pins (SKU1205) at 43.00 a pair. I had thought about using the Cuda mounting brackets as it would appear stock looking, but haven't really checked out the mesurements to see if it would work.
Just wanted to pass a long some information. (I have never done business with the above company, but their prices are right)

canadiancanuck 02-25-2010 09:57 AM

^ damn wish I had seem that before I ordered mine, that's a smokin price deal.

RareTA 03-04-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck (Post 74362)
^ damn wish I had seem that before I ordered mine, that's a smokin price deal.

Did you get your hood pins on yet? just curious as to how they come out.

canadiancanuck 03-04-2010 08:31 AM

yeah my second set came today, I'm mix and matching, I kept the lock style lanyrads from my first kit, and the second has everything else I wanted. so seeing that my new hood just arrived this morning as well, I'm going to get he hole drilled for that hood, we will be test fitting and adjusting tonight or tomorrow and off it will go for paint. But I'll take pics during the process.

RareTA 03-04-2010 11:54 AM

What hood are you going to install?

canadiancanuck 03-04-2010 12:46 PM

I bought the Mopar T/A hood

RareTA 03-07-2010 08:27 AM

Any luck yet? We are dieing to see this new hood and pins!! :D