Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Need advice on a family car (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/need-advice-family-car-1749/)

awsure 09-04-2007 10:18 PM

Need advice on a family car

My wife has got car fever and with four kids she is feeling the Mazda MPV she is in today is not doing it for her (it is up to about 70,000 miles and getting some front end wobble that I cannot seem to fix). She wants eight passenger but not huge (like Suburban or Expedition). She is looking at the GMC Acadia (a GM variant with a Buick and Saturn also available). Just looking for opinions on what you think of these vehicles or anything eight passenger in a similar design. We looked at the Dodge Durango but with the 3rd seat in there is about six inches of cargo space (maybe exaggerating slightly on that but not by much). Needs room for a fold up stroller so my 10 month old can enjoy the easy life and get carted around.

Thanks all...[8D]

TeeWJay426 09-05-2007 07:43 AM

RE: Need advice on a family car

Hard to go wrong with a Caravan as a family vehicle.... may have to go with the Grand for the room you need.

RLSH700 09-05-2007 08:05 AM

The Acadia is a brand new model and so are most of the components and the transmission for that matter. If that does not bother you, knock yourself out. I'm generally a person who looks for a car with a long history with the expectations that it will last me 200,000 miles minimum. This is not saying that the Acadia won't last that long or better, its just there is no evidence either way at this time.

Even though minivan's may not be the vehicle you dream of owning, they are pretty nice. My mother has had two Caravan's so far and says that she never wants anything different. The newer ones have seats that fold into the floor which you can store things in when the seats are in use.

Have you looked at a Jeep Commander? They sit about the same number as a Durango. I would still consider the Durango, everyone I know that has one likes them, just don't get a 2003 model is all. I would recommend a Pacifica except that is only a six passenger (three rows of two seats), very safe and the new 4.0L equipped with the new six-speed will be fast. Although the transmission is new, the engine is based on a well proven design (the 3.5L). Plus if your buying new Chrysler is currently offering the "Lifetime Warrantee" on the powertrain. Just be sure you keep up with the necessary maintenance.

BootCamp 09-05-2007 09:21 AM

Gotta agree.
Six kids between my wife and I. The Chrysler Town & Country was an excellent machine for us. Same platform as the Caravan. Lots of seating options (now with stow n go), good power and good mileage. It rode and handled well. I think that would be a good choice.

1 Bad Mirada 09-05-2007 02:34 PM

i have a pacifica rental right now, and so far, im impressed.

BootCamp 09-05-2007 03:35 PM

We looked at the Pacifica before we bought her Charger R/T. We really liked the car / wagon - however they classify it.
The only thing we didn't like about the Pacifica was the full cab length center console. That was going to cause issues for us getting the kids in and out without negotiating an obstacle.
The Town & Country was "flat floored" and much easier to load and unload.
Both of these vehicles currently have a $3500 - $4500 OR 0.0% incentive.

[IMG]local://upfiles/271/71B7F85C077345FB955114FE8C2C7A50.jpg[/IMG]
Pacifica

[IMG]local://upfiles/271/BD4EF07453C04E0BB4DCC65EA73D6F6C.jpg[/IMG]
Town & Country with Stow 'n Go

1 Bad Mirada 09-05-2007 03:40 PM

i noticed the odd console as well...what is the black plate on the floor supposed to be?

Jeremiah 29:11 09-05-2007 04:02 PM

I am guessing a cooler maybe?

BootCamp 09-05-2007 04:21 PM

I have no idea. I couldn't find anything on their site about it.

1 Bad Mirada 09-05-2007 04:39 PM

well, ill have it for 5 days...ill report in as to my findings...:D