Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Ride that Challenger passion - just for clarification (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/ride-challenger-passion-just-clarification-1931/)

Jeremiah 29:11 10-28-2007 10:36 AM

Ride that Challenger passion - just for clarification

I used the term with newbies and welcome them with "Ride that Challenger passion" alot.

I found this post that I shared with awsure on July of last year ( www.dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4782 ) and since we have so many newbies
I wanted to make sure they knew where I was coming from:

quote:

ORIGINAL: awsure

My passion is pretty intact...trust me. I am super geeked about the Challenger and will absolutely have one. Thanks for the discussion...just wanted to really get some inelligent feedback
awsure......just for clarification just know that when I talk about passion, I am referring to an enthusiasm but not a boundless enthusiasm.

True passion is a boundless enthusiasm.....one that you live for and live by.......and for me that is Jesus Christ.

Hobbies is something you should enjoy but not live by. The danger is sometimes hobbies/interests can be all
consuming to the point that that is all we think about.

Priorities in life should be:

1. God - Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
2. Family- Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
3. Friends - Luke 10:27 Love your neighbor as yourself
4. Work - Ephesians 6:7 Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
5. The rest - Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

The scripture below is what I read last night that made me write this post, so not to confuse people when I use the phrase "passion for the Challenger".

Titus 2:11-15 NIV

11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

15These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.
True passion is a boundless enthusiasm.....one that you live for and live by and for me that is Jesus Christ.

While I believe the Challenger is one of the best and baddest looking cars on this planet and I used to own one that I dated my sweetheart in and eventually married her and so I have emotions with this car....I do not live for the Challenger.

This is just for clarification.

lear4406 10-28-2007 10:56 AM

RE: Ride that Challenger passion - just for clarification

I too have fond memories in my Challenger and my passion is in JESUS CHRIST. Its nice to be on a sight when folks are not so into what others think and say. But can stand up and say outloud, without any hesitation I LOVE JESUS. Its taken me long years to have the courage and conviction to admit without fear of offense to others, that I have a right and a duty to GOD to be proud of what I am and where I come from. Too many times have we not been bold before men to not shout out the name of GOD. But the Challenger is on the list and its somewhere below my family and friends, my pets and my home. But it is on the list and I do spend some time in enjoying the ride.:)

RLSH700 10-28-2007 07:28 PM

It's refreshing to see an example of the internet being used for something moral as opposed to the countless abuses it is used by those with the opposite agenda.

joeyr 10-28-2007 08:13 PM

I agree, with all of this prosperty gospel it is refreshing to hear talk like that. As much as I love the Challenger I would rather go without it if the challenger (or any other wordly possesions) would become a stumbling block between me and God.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39 (New International Version)

lear4406 10-29-2007 02:55 AM

Amen and so be it.

Albeeno 10-29-2007 09:18 AM

Do you guys know why Dodge is building the Challenger again? Because Jesus wanted them to...

joeyr 10-29-2007 06:56 PM

Really, I thought if he would drive a car it would be a Honda. Because he said we would be all be in one accord.

lear4406 10-30-2007 03:24 AM

Thats good.:D

Plum70Rag 10-30-2007 02:49 PM

I've come close to that stumbling block...

It was March of '05, after years of denial that I realized I was a caraholic. No, no, don't laugh -- I'm absolutely serious -- I was ADDICTED to cars. Every chance I got I was reading about or thinking about cars. More than God, more than my wife, more than my kids; I had a problem. So it was then I took all my car books and magazines, boxed them up and put them in the attic. For the next nearly two years I read NOTHING about cars. No books, no magazines, no newspaper articles, I even turned the radio off if something came on about cars.

Then Daimler announced the Challenger, and under the loving, watchful eye of my wife, I started to thaw. Considering my history, I'm extremely hesitant to use the word "passion" for anything relating to cars. I would characterize my feelings toward the new Challenger as a "keen interest."

But I'm finding something better, both with my Challenger and here on this site: Utilizing my interest in cars to build relationships instead of allowing them to interfere in my relationships. My Challenger is great for time out with my wife or kids (not at the same time, though, not enough seats for all of us :)) And this site is a great opportunity to get to know some folks with a common interest.

So for me, hold the passion, keep the interest, and let's have fun hanging out until Cerberus delivers.

Yankee 10-30-2007 04:45 PM

I am all for freedom of religion, but this all prompts me to play a little "devil's advocate", so to speak.

While I'm sure you are all very strong in your religious convictions (and I personally have no problem with that)... what would you say to someone who came in here extolling the virtues of, say, Hillary Clinton? What if someone were to come in here with the screen name of NancyPelosiRules, and that person were to, every so often, sing the praises of the Democratic Party and how much they really believe in it? Would you not believe that such actions might give some here merited pause?

Would you tell this person that his political beliefs are his OWN and, while he certainly has every right to them, they nonetheless have no place on a message board such as this? Would you not agree that political arguments among some board members could get potentially VERY heated with one espousing such strong political beliefs?

As adults, I'm sure society has taught us that politics... and RELIGION... are the 2 most strongly and passionately debated subjects among fellow human beings. I haven't been on this board very long, but I think I can safely say that not all of us here are Democrats, Republicans or, hard as it may be for some to believe... Christians. Again, let me say that I personally have no problem with anyone with strong Christian beliefs.

BUT...

To be fair to everyone, if folks here are allowed to espouse their religious beliefs, then you have to allow for other subjects to be discussed or expressed - and that includes politics. And we all know what a slippery slope political discussions can be, don't we.

The bottom line is that if subjects like politics are not preferred discussions here, I don't think religion should be a preferred discussion either, no matter how innocent or well-intentioned. And I don't say that because I'm anti-religion (or anti-politics, for that matter). I'm saying this out of fairness to others.

I'm sorry if this offends some of you, but I felt it needed to be said.

Jeremiah 29:11 10-30-2007 04:56 PM

I have been doing a bible study all summer long and nobody asked you to read that but it might have been before you were born on this forum.

These are in the off topic. You do not have to read it.

Enough said.

BTW- I quoted out of the Holy Bible, I have not been talking about religion.

joeyr 10-30-2007 05:52 PM

Im not a moderator so i cant say if politcs is allowed on here as an off topic dicussion. But if it is it would not bother me not one bit.

Yankee 10-30-2007 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11
BTW- I quoted out of the Holy Bible, I have not been talking about religion.
Forgive me... but isn't that a bit like saying that you quoted something out of the Constitution, but weren't talking about law..?

Do you not agree that if religion is to be discussed here openly, in any way, shape or form (and that includes biblical quotes), then out of fairness, other potential "hot topic" issues can be openly discussed here as well, no matter if it's in the "off-topic" forum or anywhere else?

RLSH700 10-30-2007 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: joeyr

Im not a moderator so i cant say if politcs is allowed on here as an off topic dicussion. But if it is it would not bother me not one bit.
It's allowed as long as no one breaks the specified rules found at the top of the page. Our sister forums such as dodgeforum's Off Topic section is loaded with political questions all the time and many times religion is there as well. Religion is allowed, Jeremiah got permission when he started the popular Point Man thread. It was understood that if you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to.

I normally prefer to keep away from politics as it can make things unfriendly and can turn people who would normally be best friends into bitter enemies. I don't talk about many of my political beliefs in great detail because I would probably turn about 70% of people here off if I did.

I don't think that we have been unfair to those who don't believe. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. The only thing that we have stopped thus far was when someone was posting inappropriate material for general audiences because that directly violates the rules.

Jeremiah 29:11 10-30-2007 07:39 PM

Forgive me... but isn't that a bit like saying that you quoted something out of the Constitution, but weren't talking about law..?

Do you not agree that if religion is to be discussed here openly

Again, a I did not talk religion, I quoted the bible. The bible is God's word.

God is not in the religion business but in the relationship business. Do you have a personal relationship with him?

Man created religion not God.

Yankee 10-31-2007 03:26 AM

Jeremiah, with all due respect, you're arguing semantics instead of answering my questions that I originally posted. For the record, I am in total agreeance with your assessment that man created religion and not God. As far as revealing my personal relationship with God, however... that's something I'm not discussing here as I don't personally feel it's appropriate to do so - much as I don't care to reveal my political affiliation either for the same reason.

lear4406 10-31-2007 03:32 AM

I do know why, but I have problems as to motivation. I cannot seperate myself from GOD and I am very tolerant of other peoples views. I state whats on my mind and I don't believe that the mention of JESUS or GOD should offend anyone:) My skin is thick and has gotten tougher as the years pass. Understand that just as some people are Irish and they have that part of their culture in them, you would not expect to see them seperate that from themselves. They will reflect on their Irish traditions and we would be enriched by their culteral differences. I would say that other forums cater to a more street brazen type person, I've dealt with them and prefer a more family oriented Forum. Don't for one moment take that as me being weak, I assure anyone, if you meet me weak is not an idea you will come away with. If you don't like the discussion in that thread and don't wish to add to it, simply move on. This is not separation of Church and State and I for one will continue to be open and honest about my ideas. I hope the dialog opened here, shows what real men are and that they can say JESUS and LOVE and FAMILY. We are car guys, but we are also Christians and Jews and Agnostics and Aithest. But respect and open dialog we can come to an understanding that allows us tolerance. I for one will not hide the fact that I'm a CHRISTIAN... my belief will not allow me to be ashamed of who I am.

Albeeno 10-31-2007 09:40 AM

DSkippy 10-31-2007 10:30 AM

Albeeno, it shouldn't have to come down to galvanizing rhetoric. That adds nothing to a discussion but polarization, divisiveness and barriers to dialog.

As stated, I'm not particularly religious myself. I grew up in Virginia. I consider it the south and I consider myself southern. People who know the bible and profess their faith make me a tad ill at ease myself because my religion is more internal than on my sleeve. The difference is I know there is no malice or judgment intended (unless they aren't getting the message properly, not their place to judge, bring people in by showing them how happy you are, if they are curious let them know why you're at peace with the world, I was in a few bible studies myself).

You have a point to defend yourself if you feel your way of life is being slammed. But lashing out with platitudes and stereotypes and assaults of your own seems a bit hypocritical. People who accept Christ as their savior, have a lot of energy and a former Priest of mine said that people who recently accept Christ have this power should stay away from people a while as they can have a good intensity...(he was kidding...mostly, I believe)....

Regardless there's no need to denigrate, the quickest way to have someone dismiss your message totally is to start out with "You <something unflattering>" and then insult their beliefs.

I believe you should have fun, make some mistakes, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and everybody wang chung tonight (whatever that means).

Lashing out and throwing out stereotypes could create a negative stereotype of north easterners, and that wouldn't be be a good thing (other than their driving, sorry dude, couldn't help it ......Boston, Mass, Connecticut, NY, NJ....if anyone lives in Jersey or the NY Metro area, they'd probably be able to deduce the order of ranking.....)

And though I didn't go looking for your follow up to the game (skins/pats).....if you didn't post, thanks....ouch.....I like Belechek (however you spell it)....his philosophy of "As long as we're on the field, we get paid to produce" is the right attitude...so what? He didn't run the score up, we just weren't able to keep up......and what's up w/ my posting style recently dot dot dot? I should really throw some dashes in there and have a crack at morse code....

lear4406 10-31-2007 10:43 AM

So now we (Christians) are all the same. Not judge on individual merits. Just bunched and grouped together. Take a bad example and that is the way we all are. I'm so glad I don't have your outlook on people and just group all people by the worst example in the crowd. Now you start putting examples of how I should behave and whom I should ask for permission about purchasing.:eek: Nice profile there buddy, give me the whole list I sure don't want to disapoint. And can you expound on the " Bible Thumper" is this a means to put me in some catagory? You gathered all this information from a few threads you read in this post. WOW you must be good at reading people. Seems to me you have not really ever met a Christian. Or somewhere you met a person who called theirself a Christian. Either way you made a lot of assumptions of the Christians that you talked to in this thread. Why not take a deep breath and clear your head, take another look at the post. Read it S L O W L Y. Now what are you so spun up about? I saw no reason to get yourself all riled up over what was posted. No insult thrown your way! You have issues and you need to work them out and really stop and think before you post drivel like the thread above. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Guess what! Thats not a quote from the BIBLE.

Albeeno 10-31-2007 10:46 AM

I agree that may have been a bit too much so I just erased it. I'm not here to throw stones or espouse any religious and political beliefs and after further review it was decided that we would all be better off without that post. So, hope that's OK. I just don't want God being rammed down my throat on a "car-appreciation" forum, that's all.

I think from now on I'll just stay out of this particular section of the forum. The rest of the site rules though and I have enjoyed getting to hear a lot of different and interesting perspectives on a number of different things. I know enough now about the Dodge Challenger to be semi-dangerous and I thank all of you for helping me learn a lot more than I ever imagined about such a terrific automobile. That post I deleted was pretty funny though Skip, ya have to admit! : )

PS: We do drive like A-Holes here in the Northeast, especially Boston (The Sports Capital of the World) and that's why guys like me need to drive the Mustangs and the Challengers of the world - t help us get out of the way of some of those other crazies who occupy our roadways! I decided to take it easy on the Skins fans, but if I hear any comments about Belichick running up the score, then the gloves are coming off. It just seems that a lot of players and coaches seem to be whining about the Pats scoring touchdowns late in the 4th quarter with a sizeable lead rather then just taking a knee and riding out the clock. My feeling is that these players are all professionals...and if you don't like getting beat then figure out a way to win. I'm really looking forward to the Indy game!!!

DSkippy 10-31-2007 12:18 PM

My opinion (and shared by others) is Belichick is making a statement...I don't need to cheat....but I'm pretty sure he cheated against us and as soon as I edit the game recording to show that I'll share it!;)

joeyr 10-31-2007 02:46 PM

Just wanted to clear up some things. Honestly I don’t think your problem is with Christians per se as much as with "hypocritical Christians.” Yankee, The religion deal for Christians that are not carnal (worldly) minded is a non issue, no where in the bible will you see Jesus, God, the prophets, or the apostles coming up with, Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, Apostolic, Latter-day saint, Etc. In fact The Apostles wrote many of the letters (or books) of the New testament to keep churches together:

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas["; still another, "I follow Christ."

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
( I Corntithians 1: 10-17)

Religion is man made; God called us to be holy not religious.

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy
(1 Peter 1:15-17)

That’s why Jeremiah made those comments about religion.

And Albeeno I dont know if Fallwell and the Bakers should be thought as the ideal proptype for Christianity.

RLSH700 10-31-2007 03:26 PM

I don't know what was said earlier, but I will say that it sounds like some attacks might have been made. All I'm going to say is personal attacks are not allowed. You have every right to debate if you like, but don't attack people personally.

Also something to consider, I know not everyone agrees on this issue and several other issues, and that is fine, but please remember that there is a difference between listing a detailed, explained logical point explaining one's point of view and listing certain symbols that intentionally cause people to get fired up and angry. When a person posts those things, it makes them look immature and hurts their image. My advice is if you can't debate with a person's logic whether its because you don't know how to respond or if you can't have enough common ground to agree on to make a convincing point to change the other sides' perspective, then it is best to either simply state that you will have to agree to disagree than to post things that intentionally irritate people of the opposite side.

Jeremiah 29:11 10-31-2007 06:44 PM

Interesting how a repost that was 15 months old got an entirely different reaction this time.

All I was doing was explaining what I meant by my passion for the Challenger and that it would not be mistaken
and I used bible scripture from the HOLY Bible to back my statements.

Since we have a lot of newbies, I would encourage all of you to view my posts over the summer:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=10213

DSkippy 11-01-2007 04:44 AM

Yep. You said it before in this thread. The gist being since it's off topic, the onus to read and respond is on the reader. Seems like a fair enough approach. I'd been avoiding this thread initially, but is seems there's even headed enough folks here to engage in dialog.

As far as the "newbies" term (don't dig it, even though I'm sure it's just being used to describe a temporal exposure to further encourage retrospect by those who can learn from the history, but the term has a real plebian connotation to those of us not posting long), I can't speak for everyone because it's beyond my knowledge....but I'm sure there are few here who have heard the phrase "long time listener, first time caller", well I've been reading these posts for a lot longer than I've been posting....this is the second forum (the other sweetness-light) that I've ever engaged in...

I guess your point is there's a lot of rehash being engaged in a matter that has since been established and ground rules set and agreed upon.

While again the lessons (biblical quotes etc) set/put me off a little (probably out of a compulsion/shame to live a more exemplary life), I find it encouraging there is a thriving core of people doing what I ought...and while again..I even cringe a bit when there are the quotes....I know where it's at (and it's good) through personal experience....

lear4406 11-01-2007 08:08 AM

I thank those that posted with an honest outlook. I do not post my answers to offend, but to reassure others that openly talking about Jesus is not a bad thing. We have freedom of speech in this country and I have to put up with alot of speech I'd rather not hear. But its the way things have progressed. The quickest way to have someone take those rights from you is to utter the name of CHRIST. I for one am trying to reverse this trend and allow folks to feel proud of who they are. I have not always lived my life as I should or think that I should. Today I do better and tomarrow I'll strive to do even better. But as a Christian I see so much hate thrown my way that I have learned to open dialog with people, so they see I'm not here in judgement of you but only trying to make it through the day myself. I pray over my food and I watch what words I say around folks. That is the extent of my approch at work or public. But if asked a Biblical question or asked a moral situation... I will give my honest response and it will contain Bible verses. Other than that I live and let live. I endure a lot of off color comments and terrible jokes that are spoken in the work place or in public. I work at Nuclear Stations in SC and NC, we have a lot of different people from all over the country, even the world come and work here. I have to get along and I do get along with these folks. But what I hear and see I don't always agree with. But this is the plants rules and I will abide by them. So don't let what you feel I said, confuse what I actually did say. The guys on this forum are fair and they have to be honest with themselves. If you ask an honest question, they will reply to you in like manner. Its like I said before, I cannot seperate the HOLY SPIRIT that dwells in me from myself. I feel others on here too feel the same way. So its not said to insult anyone or make them feel guilty of anything. Jeremiah started this post to clear up a statement he made. I understand where he is coming from. Others chimed in also to give experiences that were very similar to his clarification. I found it to be uplifting to hear others fight battles I have fought with myself. Thanks to all who posted, I felt blessed by your honesty.:)