Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Roush Performance Nitemare (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/roush-performance-nitemare-1687/)

Paladin06 08-13-2007 07:00 AM

Roush Performance Nitemare

I never really understood why you would want a hot rod truck but, I'm not truck guy either.

This story comes from the 08/13/07 issue of AutoWeek magazine. Reading the magazine is the only way to make sure you don't miss anything. If you aren't getting the magazine, you can sign up today for just 58 cents an issue. GET THE ONLY WEEKLY CAR MAG TODAY!
By PHIL FLORADAY

Perhaps the only way to make the Roush Performance Nitemare look more sinister is to paint the whole truck flat black. Otherwise, it’s as mean as the name suggests.

One problem with trucks is that they handle like, well, trucks. Roush has a good solution with its optional sport suspension. The package lowers the Nitemare with coil springs up front, leaf springs out back and longer shackles to drop the rear end further. Bilstein shocks improve control. Now if there were only an equally impressive upgrade for the brake system.

In day-to-day use, the 445 hp and 500 lb-ft make living with this beast something of a joy. There’s always power to pass, and it’s great fun to surprise unsuspecting sports-car owners off the line. The 5.4-liter V8 now requires premium fuel, but even with that, it was easy to average a relatively impressive 15 mpg in mixed driving, without the feather foot.

The instant surge of power from the roots-type blower roasts the rear tires or rockets it to its 105-mph speed limiter with lots of audible whine the whole time. Roush officials say there is potential for more top speed, but that would require a new driveshaft and possibly other upgrades. Yes: It is easy to question why anyone needs to go more than 100 mph in any truck.

Should you drop $16,400 on this Nitemare package, it includes a front chin spoiler, dual exhaust, 20-inch chrome rims, lots of black trim pieces, special leather buckets, a billet aluminum grille, unique gauges, aluminum pedals and a 3.73 limited-slip rear axle in addition to the Roushcharger system. Only 100 copies will be built. For more info, visit www.roushperformance.com.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9/E2D850F6FDB740E7B1BB8532A7183EFD.jpg[/IMG]

RLSH700 08-13-2007 03:53 PM

RE: Roush Performance Nitemare

I'd rather have a used Ram SRT-10 personally. At least I wouldn't be concerned about having engine problems later since I have seen quite a few problems coming out of that 5.4L engine lately.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-14-2007 09:07 PM

I wouldn't make my wifes truck a hot rod but I plan to make it look and go a little faster some day.

I expect in the future to also inherit a 1985 Ford Truck and expect to do the same to it some day as well.

TechmanBD 08-15-2007 07:02 AM

I know a hot rod truck I wouldn't mind having. Throw on a whipple charger for the 4.6l 3 valve engine and a way we go.

Here is the website
http://www.southernmotorcompany.com/

and the edmunds article
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...d=116863?imw=Y

[IMG]local://upfiles/48/C126E506817549059D6D8829F85B7920.jpg[/IMG]

1 Bad Mirada 08-15-2007 08:25 AM

while im clearly not a ford guy, i would be HARD pressed to ever consider a ford truck, having worked on them when working as a mechanic. EVERY ford SUV and truck, from the ranger, to the exploder, to the F150s were junk with ongoing problems. things like noisy, ungreasable ball joints on almost new trucks to stupid things like problems with oil filter fittings stripping...i would only buy a ford truck if dodge, chevy, nissan, and even toyota stopped making trucks. ive driven a lightly modded silverado SS, as well as a stock titan, and if not for a dodge, those would be my first two choices...

TechmanBD 08-15-2007 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

while im clearly not a ford guy, i would be HARD pressed to ever consider a ford truck, having worked on them when working as a mechanic. EVERY ford SUV and truck, from the ranger, to the exploder, to the F150s were junk with ongoing problems. things like noisy, ungreasable ball joints on almost new trucks to stupid things like problems with oil filter fittings stripping...i would only buy a ford truck if dodge, chevy, nissan, and even toyota stopped making trucks. ive driven a lightly modded silverado SS, as well as a stock titan, and if not for a dodge, those would be my first two choices...

Yeah, I wouldn't either. My truck was given to me, so can't complain. It runs fine for a 90 truck with 87000 miles. I can say I do like the new styling of the f250's, but looks aren't everything. But I would buy a Ford truck before a Chevy as I owned an 01 Silverado and had nothing but troubles with the transmission. And knew others with the same problem.

Right now, The new Tundra would be my top choice with the Ram with a very close 2nd(Number 1 if I got the deisel). Then the Titan.