Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Rush Limbaugh nailed it! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/rush-limbaugh-nailed-1851/)

BootCamp 10-08-2007 01:52 PM

Rush Limbaugh nailed it!

Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head..........

By Rush Limbaugh:
I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.
If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers. (Actually politicians and commanding officers put soldiers in harm’s way.)

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own US Congress voted them selves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

" When do we finally do something about this?"

Paladin06 10-08-2007 02:05 PM

RE: Rush Limbaugh nailed it!

I am retired military and Rush Limbaugh is a racist and knows as much about the military as I know about the space shuttle. There are so many false half truths and lies in that statement that it is not worth quoting. Move on to something stated by someone who has some level of creditability.

Greg Anderson
US Army Retired.

BootCamp 10-08-2007 02:21 PM

It was sent to me by a Vietnam War vet, agreed to by a current Army member stationed in Hawaaii.
Which parts should I tell them are inaccurate?
I would think someone who HAS military experience would endorse getting more/appropriate benefits for our military members, regardless of where the movement started.

BTW - A sincere THANKS for serving our country!
(where everyone has the right to free speech - whether you agree with them or not).

RLSH700 10-08-2007 02:57 PM

I try to avoid political topics on this forum as I don't want to see it get too political because politics destroys a friendly atmosphere and turns people who would otherwise be best friends in real life into bitter enemies. I will say this though. Our troops who come back disabled from the war have it worse than anyone else. I have heard of people living under bridges who fought bravely in Iraq who have to live there because Uncle Sam doesn't want to repay his debt to them and that is just plain wrong. Not to mention how some military hosiptals lack the most basic things for those who have to stay there like toothpaste, hair shampoo, etc. A good friend of mine had a particular medical problem and instead of dealing with the inevitable, they put him on Motrin for two years for it to grow worse and more expensive to fix and put him at a severe risk of becoming physically disabled.

I feel sorry for those who lost their families on 9/11, nothing will replace their loss; however, in my eyes our troops come first. The thing that makes me nervous about some dramatic changes our government wants to make to certain programs is I have witnessed how poorly our government manages these issues no matter who is in charge and the people who worked to earn such benefits never get them and the people who complain enough to the media camera.

I frankly think that it is time to put an end to paying members of Congress and the President or at least giving them a giantic pay cut. They are full of bribes and kick backs; therefore, I don't think they need the salaries they get. If they don't like being a servant of the people, then they don't have to run for office in the first place.

I really would prefer to leave my comments at this and this alone. I'm going to warn anybody and everybody right now no matter which side you are on or how long you have been here, if this topic gets out of hand and personal attacks starts flying, it will be locked. So far no body has done anything wrong yet but I just want to remind you as this could be a hot topic.

Yankee 10-08-2007 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I am retired military and Rush Limbaugh is a racist and knows as much about the military as I know about the space shuttle. There are so many false half truths and lies in that statement that it is not worth quoting. Move on to something stated by someone who has some level of creditability.

Greg Anderson
US Army Retired.
Some bold statements there, Paladin. Any actual evidence to support your accusations (especially the racist accusation) or is this just your opinion?

I'm AF myself so it goes without saying that I'm an ardent military supporter. I've seen this going around the net for awhile now and I can't say for sure if Rush Limbaugh actually said it or not, but it does pose some interesting questons nonetheless.

I think Boot Camp has a good point - regardless of where this got started or who actually said it, it brings up a few good points. And I gotta say I'm a little surprised that someone who is retired military would seemingly dismiss such a thing out of hand simply because he might not agree with whoever supposedly said it. For example, I'm no Hillary Clinton fan by any means, but if she had actually said something like this, I'd be supporting it wholeheartedly, regardless of any personal issues I might have with her.

lear4406 10-08-2007 04:03 PM

The only thing I will add... is if a statement is made in a personal attack way, then you should back it up with hard evidence. I don't listen to Rush Limaugh, but if he said this, I agree 100%. Be real careful how you use the word racist and be prepared to back up what you say! I saw nothing that did'nt make anything but sound sense in the quote. I'll wait on the evidence before I pass judgment on how I feel about Rush Limbaugh.

RLSH700 10-08-2007 05:42 PM

Paladin, I think you need to be careful of what you say in the future. If your going to make accusations, you need to come prepared to defend your stance. If you are going to say that what a person said was completely full of "false half truths and lies" and claim that someone lacks credibility, you need to be prepared to defend your stance with evidence. If you disagree with what Rush Limbaugh said then tell us why with a detailed explanation. I would like to hear why you believe this is a lie.

Just don't make an off topic slam against someone with a pretty serious charge of racism unless you have hard, indisputable evidence to back up your claim. That is known as the logical fallacies of attacking the person and poisoning the well. It does not make you look good when you say things like that, and it hurts your argument. It can also make the person who posted the remark feel as though you are accusing them of that as well. Thus far it is an opinion until you can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

You have every right to express your opinion, just try to do it in a less polarizing manner and without name calling. Okay? Also realize that what you say can comeback to haunt you later.

Paladin06 10-08-2007 05:53 PM

Is that a threat?? You be careful my friend.

Yankee 10-08-2007 06:19 PM

Oh boy...

http://www.gsfcc.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/popcorn2.gif

Anyone wanna share my popcorn? This might be getting good.

BootCamp 10-08-2007 06:22 PM

Good God,
I simply posted something (that a Vet friend of mine sent me) in support of our troops, and how we agree that our Vets aren't given the consideration - financial or social - that we feel they deserve, especially compared to those who don't actually fight, but send our troops to war.
Where did ANYTHING in my post charge a "racial reaction"? Where was race even mentioned?
I posted about our troops, our politicians, and the unfair compensation of both.

How can someone fight for a country where freedom of speech is a cornerstone of our democracy, and then try to censor something said by one of the people he was fighting for? Especially when the person was voicing opinions about getting better benefits for Vets - like him?

Now we have statements being taken as "threats"? WHY?

Prejudice works in many evil ways. The word itself connotates a rush to judgement, baseless, without individuality.
Martin Luther King Jr said in a speech "I had a dream that one day, men will be judged by the content of their character and NOT the color of their skin". I agree with that statement as much as I agree with what I posted before that was credited to Rush Limbaugh.

Can I take the value of what a man says, or should I rush to judge before I've heard it and ignore everything he says simply based on the fact the HE said it?
This wasn't intended to get anyone's colon in a knot.
Sorry Paladin if you don't like Rush Limbaugh. The words have value, especially for all of our service people. Would you have been more receptive to them if the quote was credited to someone else? I don't think it would have made the message any less meaningful, either way.