Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Spy Shots: Ford Mustang Bullitt caught! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/spy-shots-ford-mustang-bullitt-caught-1798/)

Paladin06 09-19-2007 01:34 PM

Spy Shots: Ford Mustang Bullitt caught!

Spy Shots: Ford Mustang Bullitt caught!
Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Ford

Last December we were invited to Detroit to view Ford's "Showroom of the Future" and were shown a dozen cars and trucks stretching out all the way to 2012. Nothing in Ford's pipeline we saw that day excited us more than seeing the upcoming Ford Mustang Bullitt in person. That was ten months ago, and since no cameras were allowed in the room, all we have is a hazy memory of a gorgeous green Mustang.

The car you see here (click the Read link for more pics) is likely the production version of the Bullitt Mustang we saw back then. A StangNet community member snapped these pics recently, and they suggest that the Bullitt will do away with any superfluous accoutrement like spoilers, louvers and hood scoops. Instead, it will be simple and plain, but more powerful than a standard Mustang GT.

Unfortunately, this little peek is all we get, so we can't comment on specifics except to refer you to a previous post on the Bullitt's leaked specs. The Mustang GT's 4.6L V8 should be producing 312 HP in the Bullitt thanks to a Ford Racing Performance Parts Power Pack, and suspension and brake upgrades are expected, as well.

We hope we'll meet the Mustang Bullitt again in person come January at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, but until then we expect everyone in Motown to lift up any car covers you see.
[Source: StangNet.com]

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/15/2...-specs-leaked/

http://www.mustangevolution.com/20070514410/

[IMG]local://upfiles/9/C44D8671AD9F4250B4961790DA8BEF22.jpg[/IMG]

RoswellGrey 09-19-2007 02:22 PM

RE: Spy Shots: Ford Mustang Bullitt caught!

I gotta admit, that is a fine-looking car. Of course, 'Bullitt' is why my '00 Mustang is dark green. :D

RLSH700 09-19-2007 02:38 PM

Alright that's it, discontinue the Fusion, Focus, Tauruses, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, Ranger, and F-series. Obviously, Ford is more concerned about not losing sales to GM and Chrysler (which is inevitable), than they are about keeping the rest of their product line competitive, let alone selling. Ford needs to come to a moment of truth about this. They are still in danger of going under and they just can't stop trying to keep people interested in the Mustang. Well I have a proposal for Ford on how to keep people interested in the Mustang despite GM and Chrysler reentering the segment. Build a V8 that does not need a forced air induction to remain competitive and make sure it sets a new benchmark in fuel economy. That is what would make things the most difficult for GM and Chrysler. Also, when you offer a V6 make sure of two simple factors. One, that it is actually reliable, and two, that the fuel mileage isn't just as bad as the V8s is.

cncpt2prod! 09-19-2007 02:59 PM

Looks cheap for some reason.

RLSH700 09-19-2007 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!

Looks cheap for some reason.
Because it is. They are using the V6 grille set up for this version, if the V6 version is so much better looking why didn't they use that one for the GT model in the first place or give the V6 and GT what the GT currently has and reserve the V6 grille for the special models.

Jeremiah 29:11 09-19-2007 06:56 PM

This reminds me of the Steve McQueen in the commercial when he get the keys from the kid in the corn field as the Legend Lives On.

One of my favorite car commercials

TeeWJay426 09-20-2007 07:35 AM

Call me the minority here, but I like it. Certainly brings back the image of the original, which ain't a bad thing.....

Axel 09-20-2007 08:42 AM

I hate it and I'll tell you why. Saturation. There are more versions of this car then any other car I can think of, which I'm sure someone will point out others, and all that is done is mainly body work. The rest is a minor bump in power here and bump in suspension there. I like the Shelby GT500, but not the Shelby GT. That is just a joke. Ford is trying to milk everything for what this is worth and people will buy it. I'm happy with my GT, no Billet, no California Special, no clear coat mother of pearl neon green. If I want those things then let me go out and get them, don't saturate the market with all of it straight from the factory.

As for the engines, the V6 really is a joke. I mean 210 hp for a pony car. Really? I mean weren't there critics out there complaining about the Avenger R/T not having enough hp, that the Toyota this and the whatever that had more power and that this was low compared to those? Where were they when the Mustang came out? 25 more hp on a family sedan then in a sports car, Avenger with ten less then the old 5.9 V8. I would say that the Avenger V6 is actually pretty impressive if you ask me. Maybe not on par with the Charger engine, but is it suppose to be? I thought it was in a lower class for a reason.

As for the V8 Mustang, I am impressed with it and the mileage. Sticker is 19/28. Sticker on the 3.5L V6 Charger is 21/28. Not much difference. The 5.7 takes a bigger jump, obviously at 17/24. It might not be a big difference, but it might be enough to make people pay attention a little and make a decision off of that. Though at the same time I doubt it because if you are driving the R/T and SRT, I'm sure MPG doesn't really matter that much, though for me it would since I would be driving the R/T.

Now the hp thing. Yeah, Dodge does have and advantage on the Stang when it comes to the 5.7L, but my question is, will that make a difference when this car comes out? HP only goes so far, but if this car outweighs the Mustang by over 1,000, speculation since I don't know for sure yet, then wouldn't that pretty much negate the 145 hp difference? Woudn't the get up and go in these cars pretty much be the same do to the weight?

I'm no fan of Ford, seriously, just the muscle cars, hence the only reason I own the Ford right now, but no other Ford in my life. I don't care what it is or who it's made by as long as it's American, but if I had half the chance then I would jump on with the Challenger in a heartbeat. Dodge/Chrysler, has been my love pretty much all my life, but I would have a hard time dishing out $5,000-$10,000 more for a car that runs on par with the Stang, but can't outrun it, which may be hard to do anyway because of solid rear axel VS IRS and weight. Will be interesting to see how the weight and the IRS will effect the take off power of this car off of the line.

RLSH700 09-20-2007 01:36 PM

Many goods points Axle, but I must correct you on a couple things. Although the 4.0L V6 does not produce much hp, it has a more than respectable 0-60 time of about 6.9 secs, which is a tick or two slower than the original version of the 4.6L 2 valve SOHC Modular engine. The Avenger R/T according to some sources might be slightly faster than the Mustang V6; however, the Avenger R/T is not very competitive in its class as much as I hate to say that. The reason why people are upset about the 3.5L only producing 235hp in there is the 3.5L's last update was in 1999 when it was introduced into the 300M/LHS, when it produced 253hp. The 3.5L lacks many technological advances that would make the Avenger a lot more competitive such as a VVT system and more recently direct injection. These would not only help the power, but would supposively help the fuel economy which is important with fuel prices these days. Right now, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, GM, Mistsubishi, and pretty much everyone except for Ford has more hp and torque with similar sized engines in their midsized cars than the Avenger R/T does and if Dodge wants to be competitive, they need to match the competition, let alone exceed it.

The Mustang GT is only rated at 25mpg on the highway when equipped with the 5-speed manual. The only version that gets 19/28 is the 4.0L V6 with a 5-speed manual. To better clairify my point, the 05-06 V6 versions only got 25mpg when equipped to their 5-speed automatic under the pre-08 rating system which is what a lot of V8 cars get on the highway including the GT when equipped with the manual. My point basically is that they should offer a V6 that has good fuel economy and reliability in either transmission choice.

The version of the Charger that gets 21/28 mpg is the 2.7L offering, the 3.5L offering gets 19/27 mpg. The 5.7L version gets 17/25 when offered in the RWD version and 17/24 in the AWD version. Comparing apples to apples, the 17/25 version is the more relevant one as the Mustang is only offered in RWD currently. Also it is more logical to compare the automatic version of the GT since the Charger unfortuneatly is only an automatic car. The automatic transmission version of the GT gets 17/23 mpg.

Although you are correct that the weight disadvantage that the Challenger might have if they do not take steps to make it lighter, could potentially make it lose any advantages it has in the power department, the difference is more accurately at around 750 lbs instead of 1000 lbs (curb weight of the Mustang GT is about 3356 lbs and the Charger R/T is around 4100lbs). So of this will depend also on the transmissions they decide to use.

I don't know how accurate it is to say that the Challenger will not be able to outrun the Mustang. The projected top speed of the 6.1L powered Challenger is 174 mph vs. the GT500's 155 mph. If the Chrysler estimates are accurate, it appears that for some reason the Challenger is just about as fast with the 6.1L as the GT500 is, possibly from the structure of the rear end and so forth, as this is also slower than the significantly less powerful 2000 Cobra R. Seeing what the SRT-8s have done so far with their automatic offerings does not seem entirely unbelievable for this to happen, but I would still prefer them to offer the 6.4L engine.

Axel 09-21-2007 12:08 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about the breast cancer support version Mustang. Now I'm all for support and all, but that's a little overkill. Oh yeah, they also have Mustang cologne. What next, Mustang transaxle aftershave?

And that's what I hate about a lot of things. People just look at the power of the car, but I hope there are people that look at other things about this car. I have to say that I really hate the power in the Avenger, the SE and the SXT that is. I know that the SE is a four cylinder, but I swear the Neon moved a lot better then this did with less power. Of course this is a lot more car even if it does have more power then the Neon. The SXT with the E-85 V6 really isn't any better. Now when we got in the R/T, I was pretty impressed. To me it does the job and would get us out of the way of traffic. I'm very impressed with the transmission on the four cylinder and the 3.5L V6. They are very smooth and something I would never expect from an auto. This car is really nice if people would give it a chance. To me it has enough power and doesn't need to be bumped up there with my Mustang GT. If you want that much power then get a sports car or a truck. Though I can't say anything about the gas mileage. Yes, being as old as this engine is and the gas prices, that is something they definitely should have improved on, or just have thrown the HO engine in it.

My fault on the mpg on the GT. I was trying to find a window sticker to look at, mine is in my car and I was/am at work so I couldn't grab it, so I just looked online real quick. Apparently I saw the 4. and didn't notice the 0 after it. That's what I get for being in a hurry, blind, or maybe just both. lol. Thanks for correcting me on that one. On another note, sadly, it doesn't look like they really care about the V6 market. Just offering something as cheaply made as they could so they could get it to the younger audience who can't afford the GT. To be honest, I'm really surprised the GT isn't more cheaply made like the V6 considering the price it is offered for. Though it is still cheap considering the solid rear axel and the many upgrades that you can get for this thing just through Ford Racing alone. And it's not like Mopar upgrades, it is quite simply things that should have been on the car from the factory, but it would have bumped the price up to much.

And again on the Charger. Remind me to not go to a Go Dodge website when I look up those window stickers. Seems they are all screwed up. I pulled one up for the 3.5L V6 on the Charger and it gave me the 21/28. I pulled one up for the AWD V6 and it's the 17/24 you mentioned. I did the second one from the top and the last one on the bottom. http://www.gocarsandtrucks.com/index...ymm&radius=200

I'm curious about that weight though, is that for the concept? I'm wondering what things are going to make the production heavier or lighter? I know some is going to be added for the hood since it most likely won't be carbon fiber, and then some would be taken off for the wheels as I doubt they are going to be that big. I do hope that they bring it down though and it doesn't outweigh the Mustang by that much. What does 1badmirada say? Every 100 lbs takes off how many point of a second off the quarter mile? 750 may not be 1000, but it still would be a nice amount to add some 0-60 time onto this car. That's my main concern. How fast can I get my butt up and moving on that on ramp to the highway? lol.

Right now I was just thinking about the R/T and the GT for comparisons. The SRT and Shelby's are in a different class and I hope that when we are able to start comparing those in the near future that it will in fact have a 6.4L in it. I'm sure at some time it will, but we are going to have to wait a little bit until that happens. I can't wait to see KR taken