Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Strange octane grades (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/strange-octane-grades-5390/)

RLSH700 11-20-2008 11:27 PM

Strange octane grades

This is something I've been meaning to ask about for quite a while but forgot. I went to a gas station once and they had five grades to choose from 87, 88, 89, 90, 91. Now could someone explain to me, why you would get either 88 or 90 octane? I have never heard of a car that recommended 88 or 90.

Also, what is the most unusual octane grade that you have ever seen? The most unusual I've seen is 89.5 octane at Gateway F/S.

RoswellGrey 11-21-2008 01:37 AM

RE: Strange octane grades

Aside from the (I believe) 100 octane "racing fuel" a buddy of mine once got, about all I've ever seen is 87, 89 and 91. Often, stations in San Antonio only have 87 and 91, with no middle grade.

Personally, although it's an SE, I've been using 89 octane (I try to use only Shell, as I consider it the best on sale here) in the Challenger. When my salesman and I were talking, I asked him about what fuel to use and he told me that although the car would run fine on regular, when Dodge does its fuel-economy ratings, they use 89 octane. I figure if it's good enough for Dodge, it's good enough for me. ;)

RLSH700 11-21-2008 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Aside from the (I believe) 100 octane "racing fuel" a buddy of mine once got, about all I've ever seen is 87, 89 and 91. Often, stations in San Antonio only have 87 and 91, with no middle grade.

Personally, although it's an SE, I've been using 89 octane (I try to use only Shell, as I consider it the best on sale here) in the Challenger. When my salesman and I were talking, I asked him about what fuel to use and he told me that although the car would run fine on regular, when Dodge does its fuel-economy ratings, they use 89 octane. I figure if it's good enough for Dodge, it's good enough for me. ;)
That's strange. Do they have anything else like diesel, racing fuel, or (and I seriously doubt this in Texas but I'll ask anyways) E-85 in the place of offering mid-grade?

From a person who has owned a couple 3.5L powered Chrysler products in the last six years, you will want to use 89 octane. That is what they recommend and it will run much smoother on it.

I use either Phillips 66, QT, Gateway F/S (local brand, that several mechanics recommend above national brands), or MFA Oil (a more local brand that landed on the top tier gas list). The advantage of Gateway F/S and MFA Oil is they generally have mid-grade for the same price or lower than regular due to the 10% Ethanol content which the national name brands in this area contains in all grades regardless; therefore, it makes you ask yourself why wouldn't you go with this option if the quality is the same and the price is better. My favorite brand though is actually Texaco; however, around seven years ago, they all disappeared in this area and switched over to many other brands, especially Shell.

MrKrisSullivan 11-21-2008 08:14 PM

that's wierd... I've never seen or heard of that before...
I try to go with BP unless there is someone with unusually cheap gas that week...

RLSH700 11-22-2008 12:37 PM

Yeah I know, and the thing is I can't see what the purpose of those grades are. A person who only needs 87 isn't going to pay the extra money for it. A person who's engine requires mid-grade isn't going to get it because they need 89 and why would they spend the extra money for 90, and why would a person who needs premium go with 90 when it lacks the extra octane?