Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   A tech question for the Techman. (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/tech-question-techman-688/)

RLSH700 09-29-2006 05:26 PM

A tech question for the Techman.

TechmanBD, I have a question for you. Sometimes when I try to use some of these things posted in the "Sights and Sounds" section, I can't get them to work. I have also had trouble at times getting videos and sound clips to work off of professional sights. I first thought it was something wrong with my Windows Media Player, but it also has trouble with some other various players.

The thing that confuses me about the system's behavior is the fact that it is inconsistent. It sometimes works perfectly fine, other times it won't want to do anything. One day it works perfectly, the next day it won't work, then a couple days later it will work again. I have looked for a pattern in why it is doing this, but I can't find any. It is almost like it is tempermental. I have scanned for a virus many times and can't find any.

For the record, I never go to any sites that are well known for containing viruses, so it can't be that. In other words, I NEVER go to any sights that I would be embarrased if my friends and family knew I visited, nor do I do any downloading either. The forums and just a few news clips is all I really ever use my PC for.

Do you have any clue on why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it? If anyone else knows please let me know because it is driving me nuts!

TechmanBD 09-29-2006 06:10 PM

RE: A tech question for the Techman.

Tough to say. Could be a few things. The site you goto has alot of people on it bogging down the bandwidth, or are you in a dorm?. You you are hooked to their( the college) network, alot of people in the dorm are on at the same time bogging down the bandwidth there.

RLSH700 09-29-2006 06:16 PM

I am in a dorm and hooked onto their network. The thing is that some sites, I never have problems with, but other sites have trouble sometimes. Like I said it is inconsistent. On days that few people are on campus (the weekends) it still does it sometimes. Today it was fine, yesterday it wouldn't work nor the day before, but Tuesday it was fine. It isn't consistent with any days.

TechmanBD 09-29-2006 06:22 PM

Derrick, DevilsReject would know more of this type of question than I would. I can't think off hand what it could be, plus myu brain is fried from trying to figure why a program I am creating wouldn't talk to a com port. [sm=headbang.gif]

Jeremiah 29:11 09-29-2006 06:46 PM

Make sure your bios is up to date on your motherboard and supports the com port.

Also make sure your baud rate, flow control, bit size, parity bits and the like are also set correctly in Device Manager.

TechmanBD 09-29-2006 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Make sure your bios is up to date on your motherboard and supports the com port.

Also make sure your baud rate, flow control, bit size, parity bits and the like are also set correctly in Device Manager.
Thanks, but figured it out. VB.NET was the problem. I used the MS RS232.vb module supplied by them. This only supports 4 comports. I have 11. I found where a guy improved it that can handle over 4. It worked.

RLSH700 09-29-2006 10:25 PM

Thanks TechmanBD, I'll have to ask him one of these days when I'm on DF (and not stirring up disputes on there;)).