Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Toyota FT-HS (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/toyota-ft-hs-964/)

Jeremiah 29:11 01-10-2007 05:06 PM

Toyota FT-HS

Interesting looking creature.

That is a fast hybrid. I have heard of electric cars beating high performance cars in the 1/4 mile. It is amazing.

Look at this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...18104883452737

Also look at this website where the electric car came from: http://www.wrightspeed.com/

Toyota FT-HS
Engine Type: Hybrid V6
Coming to market? Unlikely
Bottom Line: Finally, a hybrid that gets from zero to 60 mph in four seconds

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/F70E16CB087040F49AF1D46CB611B099.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 01-10-2007 05:20 PM

RE: Toyota FT-HS

Unbelievable specs and it looks like it would be fun to test drive.

The X1 Prototype

The X1 prototype is a concept car, and a test platform. It is not a production car, and never will be. It’s a proof-of-concept vehicle that will lead to a production car in the future.

To build it as a prototype, we looked for the best of the best, in today’s technology. We chose the AC Propulsion (www.acpropulsion.com) 3-phase AC induction motor and inverter – the highest power/weight ratio system available; brilliantly engineered, and with about a decade of durability testing to date. For the chassis, we turned to Ariel, in Somerset. (www.arielmotor.co.uk). Simon Saunders, the designer of the Atom and the founder and CEO of Ariel, has created in our view one of the world’s most beautiful cars, as well as the quickest, lightest chassis on the road. To drive it is a revelation. Simon’s background is in automotive design, notably for Aston Martin and Porsche. The Atom chassis was substantially modified for the electric drive train, but retains the original styling.

The X1 prototype is just the beginning. It meets its design specs of 0-60 in 3 seconds, 170 mpg equivalent; and at 1536 lbs, is only 36 lbs over the design target of 1500. It really does raise the performance driving experience to a new level, even for racing drivers. No clutch, no shifting, precise and immediate control of torque in drive and braking, perfect traction control…first gear takes you to 112mph…
The X1 production car will be better… much better.

X1 Prototype Specs

• 3-phase AC induction motor, 236hp at the motor shaft
• 182 ft lbs torque at the motor shaft, from 0 rpm to 6,000 rpm
• 13,300 rpm rev limit
• weight 1,500 lbs
• no clutch, single gear ratio 8.25:1
• Quaife limited slip differential
• Alcon front calipers, 4 piston
• Dymag Magnesium Alloy wheels
• inboard Bilstein race dampers, Eibach 2-stage springs
• steering: rack and pinion, 1.5 turns lock-lock
• Lithium Ion battery pack

Performance

• 0-60 ~ 3.0 seconds
• Standing quarter mile ~11.5 seconds
• Top speed 112mph (electronically limited)
• Range >100 miles in urban use
• Charger: onboard conductive. Input 100-250V 50 or 60 Hz. Current: user adjustable up to 80A
• Energy consumption 200 WHr/mile in urban use, equivalent to 170 mpg (33,705 WHr/gallon

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/012C12BE63E0407EA86B806A7C88A9CE.jpg[/IMG]

RLSH700 01-10-2007 05:55 PM

But how much would it cost?

Jeremiah 29:11 01-10-2007 06:58 PM

I am sure too much.

One thing about electric cars is their take off. When you push the pedal, you get maximum current into the motor windings and get maximum torque instanteously.

There is none of this fluid being pumped from one end of the car to another then the delay of being sprayed in an intake where is is sprayed and distributed, the gasoline
has to explode evenly and push some eight massive pistons to turn a crank shaft then into a gear box. There is just this massive delay from foot pedal till the quarter mile ends. Then you have the RPM vs horsepower torque curves and have to have a matching transmission to handle the engines varying torque vs rpm issue.

Electric motors have none of those issues.

RLSH700 01-11-2007 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I am sure too much.

One thing about electric cars is their take off. When you push the pedal, you get maximum current into the motor windings and get maximum torque instanteously.

There is none of this fluid being pumped from one end of the car to another then the delay of being sprayed in an intake where is is sprayed and distributed, the gasoline
has to explode evenly and push some eight massive pistons to turn a crank shaft then into a gear box. There is just this massive delay from foot pedal till the quarter mile ends. Then you have the RPM vs horsepower torque curves and have to have a matching transmission to handle the engines varying torque vs rpm issue.

Electric motors have none of those issues.
That is why they use these electric/magnetic coil systems for some theme park rides. The Mr. Freeze uses such a system (I'm afraid I don't know of anyother examples). I think my father told me that they are using the electric/magnetic coil system on aircraft carriers to help bring the jets up to speed as they launch them.

The problem with these systems are they are extremely expensive to build, they wear out quickly, the batteries loss their ability to hold a charge after a while, and if the battery packs are damaged in an accident, the car can electrify.