Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Wanted: Detroit Leadership (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/wanted-detroit-leadership-5342/)

lear4406 11-20-2008 04:14 PM

RE: Wanted: Detroit Leadership

RLSH700 you say that so much better than me:D But my point exactly. I do not wish ill in the auto industry... as I have stated I am Dodge all the way. And what fun is that if they are gone. And what fun is it to not have a Camaro or a Mustang around to play against. And now they are building the cars I want. With flex lines they can do this and build the cars 75% of Americans want. I know this is a window of opportunity and its going to close. But I have watched cars come and go that I would not buy and now at this time they go belly up. Let the checks and balances we have, do their job. And get the US auto co. where they need to be, healthy and on the road to recovery. When they have done all they can and cut to the bone ( no bonuses, no perks, cut in salary and wages across the board, new management... because the old is inept, do all you can do) then start to look for help. As in Chapter XX. Its painful but if this is what it takes, lets go down that road.

RLSH700 11-20-2008 09:02 PM

RE: Wanted: Detroit Leadership

Thank you lear4406. Something that just sparked my memory, I think it is time that we as a whole quit looking at our forefathers with contempt because they were flawed in some of the things they did just like there are things that WE do today that will be judged as wrong by Americans generations later and examine their wisdom. Davy Crockett had provided wisdom on this matter on a case that is far less controversal and significantly more justifable than what is happening today in his "Not Yours to Give" speech. Here is a copy of it. I suggest you all read it. http://www.pointsouth.com/csanet/gre...t/crocket2.htm

I frankly have had all I can take of this bailing out attitude that seems like it has been an issue since 9/11. It is time that we as a country learns how to take care of ourselves. I frankly am tired of seeing that certain cities get a blank check for fixing whatever has happen, as well as anyone who was affected and yet others get nothing. I know what I'm going to say is controversial but I think it needs to be said. I am sick and tired of seeing New York City and New Orleans getting endless support for the disasters that happened and Oklahoma City victims got little to nothing after the Alfred P. Murrah building was destroyed and the victims of the flood of 1993 got little to nothing as well. New York is big enough and has a strong enough economy to take care of itself. I am sorry that people lost their parents and breadwinners, but that happens all the time to countless people all over this country for a variety of reasons and little to nothing is ever done for them. I did my part to support the recovery in the fundraisers that I did for them even though I have never been to NYC in my life, but I do not see that it is the job as a tax payer to HAVE to pay for what happened to them, because they did little to nothing in their tax money to support my family and friends after 1993, nor did they support friends of my relatives who suffered from the Oklahoma City bombing. In my view this bailing out attitude increased dramatically from this.

An article I recently read made a point that the British car company Leyland had a bailout back in the 70s and that didn't save it at all. The article also made the point that just about every major airline industry had to file for bankruptcy shortly after 9/11 and although things aren't perfect they are doing good for the most part. I would post it but there are some things in the article that I disagree with and am concerned that the site could cause some unnecessary fighting; therefore, I'm not going to post a link.

The truth is the Big Three need to learn how to be more nimble and how to have a rainy day fund for downturns like this because they are going to happen. There is no reason why after this downturn disappears, they shouldn't be able to bounce back like they did back in the 90s. Ford for the first time since the Yamaha SHO joint venture has a competitive V6, but this time it is their own and is going to be used throughout the line. They have competitive platforms, excellent interiors, a competitive transmission line, and everything they need to be competitive. GM has the styling on the interior and exterior. Their quality has improved in this respect. Their V6 is adequate for now, but if they utilize their AFM technology on the HF engine, they'll have MOST of what they need to be competitive. Chrysler's Phoenix engine is almost ready and should be amazing, their Hemi is one of the best, the thing they need is some good platforms, and better interior. If the new Ram is any indication, they have the potential.

To paraphrase JFK: To banks, insurance companies, credit card companies, auto industry, and anyone else who is standing in line with their sugar bowels in hand expecting a hand out, ask not what your country can do for you, but ask instead what you can do for your country!