Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   This will teach you to street race (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/will-teach-you-street-race-1460/)

TechmanBD 06-21-2007 09:07 AM

This will teach you to street race

[quote]

Flat And The Furious: Street Race Crackdown Crushes Cars
KNBC-TV

RIALTO, Calif. - Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground. Video | Images

The two teens did not know each other, but they shared a common grief standing near each other under the sweltering sun Wednesday. They both watched helplessly as the cars they had so meticulously modified were crushed and turned into metal pancakes as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said a visibly upset Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories." Six vehicles were destroyed at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramped up enforcement against illegal street racing, which is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets ideal for racing. Nearly 1,000 people have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone.

That includes spectators and drivers.

Authorities in Riverside County have tried several methods to prevent the races. For example, a teen who pleaded guilty in February to charges of vehicular manslaughter and illegal street racing was credited with 106 days served in Juvenile Hall and sentenced in March to 74 days in a work program that includes speaking before young audiences about the consequences of street racing.

Although police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, they are well aware the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars -- usually Hondas or Acuras -- are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 to make improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last year. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechan

TechmanBD 06-21-2007 09:09 AM

RE: This will teach you to street race

Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.
I love this line. [X(]

GTO JUDGE 06-21-2007 09:36 AM

I saw a piece on the news about that. It showed a Spanish kid there as his blue Honda was being pancaked. He was being interviewed. He had the same look on his face I see at funerals.

Here's another good line.... It's from Seinfeld....

"Thats a shame."

Paladin06 06-21-2007 10:41 AM

:D:D:D Priceless!!

1 Bad Mirada 06-21-2007 01:06 PM

i think that areas where the street racing is VERY organized, are the areas doing this. california, obviously, and i saw that now canada...and ive seen tons of street racing videos from canada...im glad im not in high school now though...

TechmanBD 06-21-2007 01:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more areas that will start to do this if there are race related deaths, especially if the deaths were just people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are about 5 tracks in this area as well, but I guess they don't want to spend the money or it could be the rebelious attitude that they don't need to go to a track.

Part of me feels it goes too far smashing the cars as it is private property. Take the stolen parts out and arrest them for accepting stolen goods and the racing. But then again, if I had a loved one killed because of these idiots, I would be all for it. I would be at the smashing cheering it on.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

GTO JUDGE 06-21-2007 01:42 PM

The thrill of it not being legal and performing in a non controlled environment adds to the rush of it I guess.

1 Bad Mirada 06-21-2007 03:05 PM

as ive gotten older, i find that im turned off by the illegality of street racing. im not so concerned with hurting someone else as i am getting caught...the problem is that these modern "street racers" make stupid decisions...like racing and crowded or congested areas...when i used to street race alot, it was in the middle of no where, with no more than maybe 5 or 6 people around.

lear4406 06-22-2007 08:09 AM

I wonder if the same would apply if one of us decided to bump them off at a stop light in our old Challengers. Could you imagine your primo car being crushed before your eyes. Because you made a stupid decision to do a stop light to stop light drag. I guess... don't do the crime if you can't do the time. But man that would break my heart. But if I even injured another person in the act of an acceleration contest due to my own ego, I would not be able to live with myself. I guess they are doing their best to make the streets safe for everyone. I wonder if drunk drivers cars should be crushed before their eyes or not. Oh thats right its a disease and they can't help themselves. Was it for the racing or for the stolen parts on the cars? I used to street race in the 70's and made some good money on the street scene. We were very descrete in where we raced, that did not make it right. I loved all the smack talk and the bolstering of position. We raced after midnight in various places that were not well populated at that time of night. We were caught in the act by law inforcement officers several times. But they usually gave us bogus tickets and chastised us for what we were doing. One even called my father and that got real ugly when I got home. But I tried to stop because I knew it was wrong, but it was what I lived for in those days. Spend all week adding new parts to make the car go that much quicker or make it lighter. The respect I had from the kids on the street gave me a sense of power back then. Girls wanted to ride with the skinny white kid whose car had a notorious reputation. But I did eventually grow up and become an honest mostly law abiding member of my community. I understand the guys and what they are going through, but I also know how dangerous it is to those that ride on the same roads as those who choose to not think no farther then the end of their windshield. Be safe and really stop and think before you do something that may change your life and someone elses. The cars we want to buy are as powerful as detroit has ever made. Thank GOD they handle and stop as good as they go.

TechmanBD 06-22-2007 08:33 AM

Lear, I think it was for both racing and the stolen parts. So in your example with the stop light racing, you would probably just get a nice hefty fine, and depending on the mood of the officer, could get impounded and then you would have pay for that to get it out.

Also there could be a third reason as well. I don't recall them saying it, but with those parts they are putting on, could be that the car is not street legal.