Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/)
-   -   Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/comments-what-i-saw-dallas-auto-show-223/)

Jeremiah 29:11 04-09-2006 05:40 PM

Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show

Well I enjoyed the Dallas Auto show and the Challenger just looks awesome in person.

Even watching it on HDTV doesn't do it justice.

I couldn't get any Trunk pictures and the underneath pictures of the hood tunnel system.

Things I noticed and some comments:

1. The rear quarter panel is seamless with the bottom and towards front of the car and of course this will not happen in a production car.

2. There is no gas cap on this model car as it was never done.

3. There is also no windshield wipers either. The Concept Camaro did have have finished billet aluminum windshield wipers on their model.

4. The ambers lights are so flush with the metal body. THey will have to ridge that part out for manufacturing.

5. There are also no water channels for the rear trunk. This will have to ridge that out also.

In all the car looks absolutely awesome and I had a hard time not taking pictures until my CF card filled up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/7B4C55C906FF4A0BB454242BB04733C1.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-09-2006 05:41 PM

RE: Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show

Regarding the Camaro:

1. The dashboard looked great but had over the top too much bling bling.

2. The engine compartment was very clean and masculine looking.

3. I never cared for the looks of the Concept Camaro in pictures but it definitely looks much better in person and I can now see why people will consider it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/4BA9EAF362A34C779903A8C05D1AEF30.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-09-2006 05:43 PM

The Superchief Ford Truck was unbelieveably big and I had to back up to get the whole truck in the picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/9CA647187E134EA9909D806AF43C041C.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-09-2006 05:44 PM

Inside the Ford SuperChief is like having 4 Lazyboy chairs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/32897B668EE04CC182254D6604C1DF01.jpg[/IMG]

2007HemiCuda 04-09-2006 06:26 PM

Cool pics and thanks for the report!

1 Bad Mirada 04-10-2006 11:07 AM

i dont think that we will ever see a stock engine bay that uncluttered...

as for the challenger comments..

1. i do not agree with this one..there are alot of new cars that have a 1 piece look from the quarter panel, and under the doors. the new non-evo lancers are a good example.

2. i agree..i dont know why they didnt at least mock something up.

3. i have never seen an indication of wipers, but look at the pictures enclosed...that looks like a wiper motor to me...anyone else?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4/35D7592D488B48AA9CEBF667C08EC6E1.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-10-2006 12:03 PM

Hi BadStratRT,

Replying to your comments:

1. Those were comments from a Dodge person about the quarter panel.

2. I am not sure I would like the big racing caps like before but a flush stainless steel one with a snap open cover like before would be cool.

3. That maybe a wiper motor but it had no wipers whereas the Camaro did. The only reason I made that comment was because I felt the Challenger
will be out before Camaro and the Camaro had wipers already.

The Challenger was totally awesome finally seeing it in person. That orange color was absolutely radiant.

1 Bad Mirada 04-10-2006 12:19 PM

was it on the ground, or somewhere that you could get to look down into the cowl for wipers? it was on a platform in detroit.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-10-2006 04:57 PM

The Challenger was on a platform but it was not very high. When I took the pictures underneath, I got on my stomach and could see the bottom of the car.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-10-2006 04:58 PM

I did see an older guy with a picture of the Challenger on the front of the T-shirt and it was captioned, "Make it and I will buy it" or something like that.

I wonder who that was?

Jeremiah 29:11 04-10-2006 05:23 PM

This is a simple picture of the Front of the Challenger. Kind of like a mug shot of this "Bad Boy".

This is one of my favorite pictures that I took at the Dallas Auto Show but do not know why since it only show the front of the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/77CA5B89AA584B11A88AE9891F4766C0.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-10-2006 05:30 PM

An interesting comment was made at the Dallas Auto Show.

If the NY Auto Show is this week and the Atlanta Auto Show is at the end of April which is the last show, is it possible we could hear some news at the end of May about future plans
for the Challenger.

I wonder.

MGDMike 04-11-2006 03:45 AM

Man this sucks!! I couldn't make it out there! Wonderful, no, outstanding and superb pics!

Jeremiah 29:11 04-11-2006 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

Man this sucks!! I couldn't make it out there! Wonderful, no, outstanding and superb pics!

Hi MGDMike

Thanks for the compliment. I just love taking pictures of cool vehicles and talking about them.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-11-2006 11:08 PM

Here is a better look at the radio/air conditioning system and toggle controls.

Simple, clean and but not too elaborate or hard to use. However, it does need a 2.5mm audio jack to plug in a universal mp3 player
or any other external audio source.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/D0035E41E3724B26A4B40D4556D4C157.jpg[/IMG]

1 Bad Mirada 04-12-2006 11:38 AM

the only thing that i dont like about the layout of the AC/radio controls is that it will be very difficult to change to an aftermarket head unit...i dont care about that kind of thing, but alot of people do.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-12-2006 05:18 PM

Hopefully it will be a good enought quality where you will not need to do that for a while.

On the other hand, all of my Taurus cars had the same problem with an oval radio/a/c configuration and there are aftermarket
companies who provide the same oval panel configuration for the controls but have a rectangular cut out for a radio.

The actual Taurus radio is in the trunk.

They will probably do the same thing here. See the aftermarket kit below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/5FFCF351E0B74405B09B2ADF5FF62A25.jpg[/IMG]

TechmanBD 04-12-2006 06:34 PM

Well, because of this type of stereo systems, alot of companies are coming out with signal processors that you hook the speaker outputs to, processes, equalizes and cleans the signal and send it through rca jack(low level) that you put into an aftermarket amp.

JL, AudioControl, Alpine and Rockford Fosgate. I am sure there are more out there, but haven't looked into it that far.

This is what I am looking into, because I want to keep the stock look.

1 Bad Mirada 04-12-2006 07:21 PM

i have no idea what you are talking about...can you dumb this discussion down any? stereo stuff is fairly foreign to me.

TechmanBD 04-12-2006 07:43 PM

its a box. Simple enough for ya?[8D]

Anyways, you take the speaker wires from the factory stereo and plug into box. Box cleans sound. then hook wires to amp from box.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-12-2006 08:44 PM

Here let me help. If you want clean sound you never take speaker outputs and feed them to another amp.

The feature being discussed but not described well is called a preamp output which is the low level signal that is typically fed to the radios's amp but is rerouted
to an external amp (of much better output and quality).

A few years ago you had to pay $300.00 to get a radio with preamp output capability but now you can easily get one for $150.00.

If you want the most flexibility never buy a radio without a preamp output. This feature allows easily adding crossovers, amps, equalizers, etc. to really make it sound good.

I hope that helps.

1 Bad Mirada 04-13-2006 09:49 AM

well..here is what i know...a friend of mine is big on stereo stuff, and he put the system in the stratus. i have the stock amp driving the tweeters and door/dash speakers, and i have a seperate, much bigger amp, driving the 12s. when we first ran the wiring from the stock head unit to the new amp, nothing happened...i seem to recall it making some sound, but not much. we just took the wiring from the factory decklid speakers, and ran them to the amp, then into the subs. he then cut some wires going into the factory amp, and the now-cut wires go into that box, then back into the amp, then to the subs..

is this a similar situation?

TechmanBD 04-13-2006 10:29 AM

umm. I would say almost? But yet no. Let see if I can explain this without being confusing which I can do.:D. Why do people replace their factory head unit(HU from here on out)? because it doesn't have the best of sound quality. Now it seems like the newer cars are making the dash harder to be able to replace the HU and have it look good. So people want to keep their stock HU but still would like a better and cleaner sound. So companies are coming out with signal processors. These items, like I said before clean up the audio signal so you get a better sound. So almost like what you described, you cut the wires going to the speakers. You connect those WIRes into the signal processor. Then you take the output wires of the SP and go to your amplifier. But doing it this way, you need to add another amp to drive the speakers to your door/dash and tweaters. But instead of buying a Aftermarket HU, you buy this and get the same results without going away from the stock look of your vehicle.

Here are a few links to what I am speaking of.
If you wanted to keep the stock for looks, and get a better sound, there are equilizers that help.

JL makes a few
Link

Alpine makes one
Link

Rockford Fosgate
Its called the 3Sixty Link

Those can be pricey. I found this one by Audiocontrol that I will use one day probably
Link

Sorry Jeremiah about the thread jack, so I will keep incorporate what I just said to keep this thread on track :D
I like the look of the dash with the stereo. So if the stereo is not up to par for sound, then I would use the signal processor option, to keep that look. As will I in my mustang.
And that front end looks real nice. HOPEFULLY they will keep this look from concept to production.

Patrick, I hope this helps. If you want I can draw a quick block diagram?[8D]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-13-2006 11:53 PM

Notice the huge crossmember covering up the rear differential box.

Is that typical on the LX platforms? Do the Chargers, Magnums and 300's also have that crossmember?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/0FA1AC0FB3684806A2E8AD29820155D0.jpg[/IMG]

1 Bad Mirada 04-14-2006 09:49 AM

here is another shot of that crossmember...
https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/u...r512541181.jpg

I had a rental charger, but I did not look under it, so im not sure about that being there on the LX cars, but the LX cars are ind. rear suspension, if im not mistaken.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-14-2006 04:45 PM

Yes, I have heard the LX is a multilink IRS system and the LY platform will be the same but it will be shorter and will support a manual transmission.

The IRS will be great for road handling and is my personal preference.

1 Bad Mirada 04-15-2006 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Yes, I have heard the LX is a multilink IRS system and the LY platform will be the same but it will be shorter and will support a manual transmission.

The IRS will be great for road handling and is my personal preference.
true, but it is bad for launching.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-15-2006 07:13 PM

I totally agree.....but I am a Road Runner not a Drag Racer.

Sounds like a good name for a Post.

1 Bad Mirada 04-16-2006 06:02 PM

a new member at DF who owns a new charger RT was kind enough to take a picture of the undercarriage of his car for comparison to the challenger..if you look closely, it bares a striking resemblance to the challenger, except the stuff under his charger is painted a different color.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4/A363D9505BB34324A965343965ABBDE4.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-16-2006 07:26 PM

If you look at this axle from the opposite side of the drive shaft side I think this could be the same crossmember.

Any thoughts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/4985343D7BB94E2C961803E8BD044CAE.jpg[/IMG]

1 Bad Mirada 04-17-2006 09:29 AM

i agree..although, it does look "beefier" on the challenger...?

Jeremiah 29:11 04-17-2006 05:17 PM

The IRS shown is a Dana IRS suspension module.

Jeremiah 29:11 05-20-2006 11:34 AM

Sorry I didn't mean to leave this model out of the picture.
She was a very nice and knowledgeable lady.

She made a funny comment something about it takes the Challenger to make a man crawl on the floor.

She said this because several of us were taking pictures underneath the Challenger.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/741FCA2FCD9F4CFB86DFC086B38EA0D3.jpg[/IMG]