Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/)
-   -   INTERIOR PICS!! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/interior-pics-2470/)

RLSH700 02-05-2008 06:55 AM

RE: INTERIOR PICS!!

ORIGINAL: Yankee

And that steering wheel looks like one of those you see on amusement park bumper cars (I know it's the same wheel used on the Charger, but it looks like that on a Charger too).

I swear if I ever meet a Chrysler bean counter I'm gonna kick them right in their hairy bean bag for what they did to this. This interior may look fine on an Avenger... but as a "limited-edition" car, color me majorly disappointed.

LOL!:D That's something I never thought about comparing those steering wheels to. I preferred the concept's one but honestly these are just fine by me. I'll be glad to have something other than that annoying two spoke steering wheel that I currently use. (Come to think of it, why did they use that steering wheel as there is no support for your hands when they are placed in the correct 10 and 2 positions.) Just be glad they are not using the steering wheel from the Neon, that was one weird looking thing. It's funny when you think about it that we get so bent out of shape over something so basic and ulitarian as a steering wheel.

I don't see really any similarities to the Avenger, to the Charger, yes, to the Avenger. no. In the future, please use cleaner references when you talk about wanting to kick the bean counter. If you ever do meet the bean counter punch him for me as wheel over the telemetry meter, and an extra time for using hard plastics on the new cars, and another extra time for not updating the V6 line and keeping the 2.7L and not the 3.2L, and another time for using other companies platforms for all of the car line.

specwar64 02-05-2008 07:04 AM

Ahhhhh SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figures they didnt go with the telemetry gauge.............................but other than that i like it

Yankee 02-05-2008 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
I don't see really any similarities to the Avenger, to the Charger, yes, to the Avenger. no.
Actually I was just using the Avenger as a bit of a metaphor. And funny you should mention a Charger similarity - if you look closely, that dash is really just a Charger dashboard with a nip and tuck here and there. The gauge layout is identical (even the gauges themselves are identical, those are straight out of an SRT8 Charger). The cruise control lever, turn signal stalk, the HVAC controls... all Charger knockoffs. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing... but nothing the least bit distinctive either like we were lead to believe it would be.

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
In the future, please use cleaner references when you talk about wanting to kick the bean counter. If you ever do meet the bean counter punch him for me as wheel over the telemetry meter, and an extra time for using hard plastics on the new cars, and another extra time for not updating the V6 line and keeping the 2.7L and not the 3.2L, and another time for using other companies platforms for all of the car line.
Believe me I'd relish the chance to kick/yell/punch/scream at a Chrysler bean counter for lots of things. Their last few offerings have been ALMOST great, with the exception of lame engines like the Caliber (except the SRT4), Avenger and so on. I'd like to know why Chrysler felt the need to horrifically uglify the Sebring - Chrysler, despite opportunites to the contrary, keeps BLOWING IT. And now it looks like the might do it with the Challenger too - which (in my opinion at least) was supposed to be their saving grace.

Dodge could have just put the Charger dashboard in the Challenger concept from the gitgo if that's all it was really going to do in the first place. [:@]

Sorry for the rant and the thread jack. That is all.

WhiteHeat 02-05-2008 07:33 AM

Thanks for the interior pics, mopar2ya! This is what I've been waiting anxiously for. :)

My thoughts compared to the concept...

Pros:

I prefer this center stack.
This gauge layout is less cool, but more practical.
Same for the console.
From what I can see of it, I prefer the production door trim.

Cons:

Where's the telemetry? ( I never really expected that to make production. )
I much prefer the three spoke wheel.
I've never liked the radio controls in the wheel, but my wife will love it.
I really liked the retro-ribbed seats, but the production seats look good, too.

Overall, maybe I had let my fear lower the bar, but I like this interior and it's a relief to finally see it. I just hope the R/T looks this good.

So, where's the iPod dock I'd heard about? I cringed when I read about it. No offense to iPod owners, but I hate to see something so specific in a car that I expect to be a classic and last forever. What if the original Challengers had an indention in the console to hold 8-tracks? How silly would that be now??

cncpt2prod! 02-05-2008 08:04 AM

Overall looks good. :) The instrument panel looks great. Hopefully the manual has the pistol grip!

RLSH700 02-05-2008 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Actually I was just using the Avenger as a bit of a metaphor. And funny you should mention a Charger similarity - if you look closely, that dash is really just a Charger dashboard with a nip and tuck here and there. The gauge layout is identical (even the gauges themselves are identical, those are straight out of an SRT8 Charger). The cruise control lever, turn signal stalk, the HVAC controls... all Charger knockoffs. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing... but nothing the least bit distinctive either like we were lead to believe it would be.
That isn't too surprising, since they share many things in the platform and throughout the car. It's similar enough to tell they share a lot but different enough to be considered different. I really wish they would go back to the steering wheel mounted cruise control buttons, as I have never been a fan of the confusing crusie control levers.

Believe me I'd relish the chance to kick/yell/punch/scream at a Chrysler bean counter for lots of things. Their last few offerings have been ALMOST great, with the exception of lame engines like the Caliber (except the SRT4), Avenger and so on. I'd like to know why Chrysler felt the need to horrifically uglify the Sebring - Chrysler, despite opportunites to the contrary, keeps BLOWING IT. And now it looks like the might do it with the Challenger too - which (in my opinion at least) was supposed to be their saving grace.

Dodge could have just put the Charger dashboard in the Challenger concept from the gitgo if that's all it was really going to do in the first place. [:@]

Sorry for the rant and the thread jack. That is all.
That's okay, I'm not perfect in that category either. I honestly wouldn't consider this to be "blowing" a great opportunity. It still is a coupe and a good looking one at that. It still is a muscle car. The pistol grip WILL be used on the manual models. They have the formula for success, just not as nice as we were hoping is all. The Sebring was a representation of arrogance. They based it off of the unsuccessful Crossfire's styling. The staff have this stupid idea that "We're always right. Your the one who is wrong. So we're going to keep making it this way until you learn to like it." That explains why they treat an idea that is unsuccessful as though it was a super success and apply it everywhere.

Well its different enough to be considered a different dash in the design and it still fits the car. Looking at the photos of the dash in the Cuda which is exactly the same dash that is in the LX cars, that dash does not fit and looks wrong, this still looks right.

Whiteheat, I think that is supposed to be in the center consol so you probably won't see it. I don't own an iPod or any MP3 player, but the fact of the matter is if they want to compete, they have to have it.

cncpt2prod!, these photo shots show the pistol grip.

http://jalopnik.com/348876/first-200...interior-photo

Cuda340 02-05-2008 09:04 AM

I think the criticism that the interior is taking is not because it looks bad. It's due to the fact that Dodge did not give the Challenger its own identity. We all expected that its interior would be unique and not a clone of the Charger.

That being said, I still love the car and will be buying an SRT in 2009! [sm=gears.gif]

(I will be checking it out at the Philadelphia Auto Show this week and will give you my overall impression of the car).

awsure 02-05-2008 09:22 AM

You nailed it. They stuck a friggin Charger interior in it. Frankly, I amazed after seeing the concept design anyone is happy with this. It's a retread. C'mon. I want the cylinder heads, I want the trapezoidal shapes, I want the telemetry gauges, I want metallic finishes, and DAMMIT I want a pistol grip shifter. How could they leave that out!!

davidstan 02-05-2008 09:30 AM

I'm still in for the r/t so speaking as a fan, why the heck did they can all and i mean all of Barringtons design. Even the trapezoidal whatever was canned. Let me see if i got this straight, the v6 is going to have a pistol grip shifter and the 08 srt8 will have a pleather Ford LTD looking shifter? You know, i would bet there will be some changes before this car goes to production, otherwise there will be some 08 cancelations.

Cuda340 02-05-2008 09:32 AM

If anyone neeeds proof that the Challenger's dash and guages were lifted out of a Charger, see:

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/charger...pictures.html# [:@]

(Click on the photo of the SRT and then click on the "interior" tab at the top).