Notices
Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brakes?

Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes?

What do we know about the brakes? They have to stop 4,000+ pounds.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default RE: Brakes?

well, judging by what i saw at the autoshow...it appears as though the rotors are 15", two piece drilled rotors...the calipers appear to be multi-piston, possibly four, as the "outside" looks as though it has a shape which would nicely hold two pistons, and i figure that the outside would be the same...however, this braking system is elaborate, and would be very expensive. one reason that i question this whole system making it to production (on a reasonably priced car, which the challenger may not be) is because the cost for one, and also based on the fact that dodge has said that it wont come with some of the concept items, like the flowmaster exhaust system.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM

In regards to the previous post about the brake system, the concept car did have 15" two piece rotors, however the factory SRT8 brake system will have 4 piston calipers, possible 15" rotors, maybe 14.5. The SRT8 brake system is OE'd by Brembo and is shared across the 300C SRT8, the Charger SRT8, the Magnum SRT8 and of course the Callenger SRT8. When you have a shared platform, that brings the cost down alot - when I buy mine it will be an SRT8, there is no substitute for raw braking power. Also there may be a possibility that cross-drilled/slotted rotors will be available just like the concept - that would be a sight for sore eyes!!!

TM
Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

well, judging by what i saw at the autoshow...it appears as though the rotors are 15", two piece drilled rotors...the calipers appear to be multi-piston, possibly four, as the "outside" looks as though it has a shape which would nicely hold two pistons, and i figure that the outside would be the same...however, this braking system is elaborate, and would be very expensive. one reason that i question this whole system making it to production (on a reasonably priced car, which the challenger may not be) is because the cost for one, and also based on the fact that dodge has said that it wont come with some of the concept items, like the flowmaster exhaust system.
I admit I don't know much about the braking systems so I will ask this. Is this the same system they have on the LX series of cars, if no is it better or worse? If it is the same as the LX cars braking system then it should be fine. Those brakes definitely powerful enough to stop the challenger which is supposed to be lighter than the Charger and Magnum.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Yes it is the same as the LX series chassis, according to all the chatting and stuff the Challenger has a modified LX platform and is estimated to weigh in at about 4100 lbs the modifications are (if I remember correctly) if not, someone please correct me. it's 4 inches shorter and 2 inches wider than the standard LX platform. But either way, if it's built right, let it out run, outhandle and out everything compared to the mustang and camaro...

TM
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that it is 4 inches shorter and I don't know about the width of the LY platform in comparison to the LX. The brakes on the LX are so good that the Charger and Magnum police packages were able to out brake both the Crown Vic and Impala, something the Intrepid police package failed to do the first time around against the Crown Vic and never beat the Impala. Considering that the Impala weighs a lot less than the Charger and Magnum, that is quite impressive. I think the numbers were around 60-0 in 130-131 feet. That is good for a 2 ton vehicle.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 AM

I own a Dodge viper SRT- 10. My Dodge hawk brakes, a mechanic told me, must be replaced. I need to find a good quality of it to have the brakes work properly.