Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Transmission & Differential (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/transmission-differential-24/)
-   -   reverse problem (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/transmission-differential-24/reverse-problem-1839/)

jdb840 10-02-2007 07:37 AM

reverse problem

I have the 833 4 speed tranny in my car. It always was difficult to get in into reverse, no it's near impossible.
The problem I'm having is it won't go into the reverse. Their's not anything wrong with the tranny itself. I've narrowed it down to 2 things, the reverse linkage, or the shifter assembly. The reverse linkage is about an .5 inch away from the exhaust pipe, and I've noticed sometimes it will hit when I try to put it into reverse. I wouldn't think the linkage should move from side to side, so I'm not sure that is the problem either.

Has anyone ever had the shifter assembly rebuild? I've seen that brewers performance rebuild's them, but I don't want to have to sent it off for a couple of months. I haven't taken the shifter asseemly off yet, but that I think is my next step.

Anyhelp or suggestions would be appericated.

Jeremy

lear4406 10-02-2007 01:10 PM

RE: reverse problem

I wish I could help jdb. I've never delt with the 833. I hope someone chimes in with some suggestions. A little help here.:)

jdb840 10-15-2007 02:37 AM

Well, it looks like I'm gonna send off my shifter assembly to have it rebuild. I took off all of the linkages and still had trouble getting it into reverse.

lear4406 10-15-2007 03:09 AM

Good deal jdb, whos doing it for you? When you do all you can and have tried all you know... nothing wrong with spending a little cash to have it refurbished. Other than the reverse problem the trans is 100%? A buddy of mine had a 440-6 4-speed in a Challenger and he ran automatic trans fluid with Dextron in it. I run Pennsoil synchromesh in my Conquest and Stealth 5-speeds. Seems to help in the notchiness of these g-treg trans. Good luck and I hope that cures the reverse problem.

AmericanMuscleCarRev 10-27-2007 08:22 PM

JDB, If you took all the linkage off and it still wouldn't go into reverse then it must be a transmission problem.

Let me make sure I understand. If you took all three linkage rods off at the transmission and had the two forward gear selectors in the center, neutral position, you should have been able to move the lower, rear selector on the trans right into reverse.

If that's what you did and it still wouldn't go, the shifter isn't your problem.

If I'm wrong about what you did, LMK and I'll walk you through how to check it out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/59354B44AB77442C88CF10F00D09A4A3.jpg[/IMG]

jdb840 10-30-2007 04:00 AM

I only took off the reverse linkage, and it is still difficult to put it into reverse. I can easily get it into 1 thru 4 with the linkages in tack.

When I was under the car looking the the bottom of the shifter and having someone go thru the gears, it just doesn't look like it is shifting smooth. I'm pretty sure the shifter is the problem. Also I've noticed that the reverse linkage has been hitting the exhaust pipe.

I was able to put the car in reverse by hand like you stated, so the problem isn't in the transmission. Who would you recommend to do the shifter rebuild? The only place that I know of that does it is brewers performance and I think it's around $150.

70RTrag 10-30-2007 03:38 PM

jdb, let us know how you make out. Also mark your shifter body as I've heard some of these places are " exchange" and you may not get yours back.I also have heard of looong turn around times. That's why I haven't sent mine out, eventhough it falls out of 2nd gear if I'm not accelerating.

AmericanMuscleCarRev 10-30-2007 03:43 PM

I don't know off too many people rebuilding shifters. Brewers of course is tops.

Are you sure it's adjusted properly?

Do you know how to set the center of the shift patterns by sticking the hex key or some type of small shaft through the center of the shifter keys to make sure they are all alighned when everything is in neutral?

If they are all aligned in the center and your linkage is properly adjusted, it should work OK.

If the exhaust is in the right place, it shouldn't really hit that. Do you have the correct linkage? The reverse rod has a bid curve in it, almost shaped like a "J".

I've actually seen guys who had the reverse rod on upside-down so it scraped the road.

When you get over into the reverse gate, does it feel sloppy? If it's tight feeling at the handle, I'd say it's just adjustment time.

But if you are confident that the rebuild will fix it, I can't think of anyone better than Wayne at Brewer's to help.

Good Luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/8FDEA508670E4E7184038802674F5EA8.jpg[/IMG]

AmericanMuscleCarRev 10-30-2007 03:45 PM

70Rtrag,

I'm pretty sure that's not the shifter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/010BEA67D38143B8A2E17140E6C7AAB2.jpg[/IMG]

AmericanMuscleCarRev 10-30-2007 03:49 PM

http://www.indianachevelles.com/news.../page0002.html

Here's a quick how to on proper adjustment of the Hurst shifter. I assume that's what you have.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/8C9FC10437E34699AA22ABBC6BA0CDDD.jpg[/IMG]