Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

SORRY for more exhaust mods talk

Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SORRY for more exhaust mods talk

I know you guys and girls are probably tired of all the talk about after market exhaust modifications. But most if not all concerned with the SRT8 Challenger.
Well I really need to know what any of your experience's show or tell you about which exhaust system is best for a 2009 Chalenger R/T with the MDS 5.7 Ltr Hemi/

My main qualification is that it must have a loud rumbly sound with as little drone as posible !!

Why I am asking is I just can't afford with recent economic losses in my retiement income to do this mod over a second or 3rd time.

So PLEASE give me your best opinion or advice along with an apporoximate price.

I respect all your opinions and ideas as this forum has always been the best info I could find so please don't hesitate to offer up your ideas.

Thank a lot[sm=thanx.gif], Fat Cat [sm=gears.gif]
Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Default RE: SORRY for more exhaust mods talk

I know others will probably scoff at the idea... but... if I were truely considering a budget minded exhaust for my Challenger I would simply replace the resonators with straight pipe. If I wasn"t pleased with the result I would take it to the next step and cut out the stock muffler, fit it up with appropriate sized glass packs. If I still wasn"t liking what I heard I would run down to my local friendly muffler guys and get some input on what they could do on the cheap.

If you do the work yourself the straight pipe replacement for the resonators cost next to nothing. The glasspacks would probably cost you $50-$100 tops to try that step. And the muffler shop... if all else fails... can give you estimates before you agree to any work.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son has had 2 Mopars as of late. 2006 Go-man-go Charger Daytona with flowmasters on it. Sounded real good. If you can put up with the drone. Really nice muscle sound and when romped on was all business. He traded to a 2007 Magnum SRT-8 and felt like he needed more sound. So he took it to the muffler shop and had the resonators cut off and added straight pipes and new tail tips. The car has a quiet rumble at idle, but when the go pedal is depressed gets a nice loud growl to it. But has no drone when cruising. I might add that the addition of the Mopar intake and open element air cleaner has added some of that sound. So I hope this helps in your quest to find the right sound for you.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM

I agree with lear bro... I've got Flowmasters if you can't tell lol... there awsome i live in the south all the boys tell me my truck is the meanest sounding... it's the Hemi though... that's what I tell 'em... I've got Flowmasters with 4inch chrome tips looks really nice... 5 years now not one problem... only about 300 bucks 90 of on the tips alone... if i could do it again which I will soon hopefully it will be from the "Super" series I'd get the 44's... Mine are loud as you'd want them... Matter of fact my girlfreind was getting in the truck the other day and said "everytime IM getting in and you start it up I think im going to get blow away" Lol... No kidding and she's not going to just say that... We live on a beach ramp and a bunch of trucks come down to the beach and I promise it's so few and far between that one comes by and sounds as loud or even close to louder than mine... NO LIES>>>
If when I get my R/T it going to have the Super 44's Series Flowmasters...
I'll talk to my girl and get some sound clips for the Hemi... i'm not good with that stuff but i'll get it posted by monday... I have Sunday Monday off...
P.S. Zoomers look great... but I promise my 5.7 sounds just as good and lound as a 6.1 with Zoomers... Flowmasters all the way...
P.P.S i've known a few guy's that have had Glasspacks and I swear to you there a waste of time... that's all im gonna say... If you want me too I'll give you buddy's # and he can tell you why he switched... He got Flowmaster cause of me but that's besides the point don't waste your mula on Glasspacks... please for the love of exhaust notes dont's do it I swear to you...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:00 AM

Fat Cat, for a true retro car, you NEED retro equipment. Glass packs all the way, my man. NOTHING is cooler, especially if you're 16 years old. ... What, you're NOT 16? Sorry.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Mopar2ya and Lear4406, I think both you guys are on the right track as its looking like cost wise the best way for me to go right now may well be the Flowmaster mufflers along with eliminating the resonators with a straight pipe. If I can find a cost estimate for the mufflers and other material needed to compare then I'll know for sure. My second choice cost wise is the SLP Loudmouth S/S system for $649 plus installation. So I'll keep doing a little more research and let you all know how it comes out when I do it. Thanks for your input and help. I knew I could count on you guys and this forum . the best, Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]
ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

I know others will probably scoff at the idea... but... if I were truely considering a budget minded exhaust for my Challenger I would simply replace the resonators with straight pipe. If I wasn"t pleased with the result I would take it to the next step and cut out the stock muffler, fit it up with appropriate sized glass packs. If I still wasn"t liking what I heard I would run down to my local friendly muffler guys and get some input on what they could do on the cheap.

If you do the work yourself the straight pipe replacement for the resonators cost next to nothing. The glasspacks would probably cost you $50-$100 tops to try that step. And the muffler shop... if all else fails... can give you estimates before you agree to any work.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 AM

RoswellGrey, thanks again for your input and I really appreciate it. As for glass packs ,yes they would be cheaper and easy for a muffler shop to install but that raspy cracking sound is not what I'm looking for so I think I'm gonna go with the SLP Loudmouth set up or a set of Flowmasters with a straight pipe in place of the resonators. I'll see which will cost me less. Thanks again for your ideas, Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]
ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Fat Cat, for a true retro car, you NEED retro equipment. Glass packs all the way, my man. NOTHING is cooler, especially if you're 16 years old. ... What, you're NOT 16? Sorry.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 PM
mac

Fat Cat have you decided on your exhaust system?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 AM

Mac, Thanks for remembering to ask about my exhaust mods. The answer is that I have not made up my mind yet but I've narrowed it down to either a set of Flowmaster 40's with or without resonators or the SLP LOUDMOUTH system which would be quite expensive. Honestly though with a recent loss in my savings and retirement funds due to the stock market crash and Lehman bros bankruputcy which I took a big loss on I'm waiting a little while to see what happens next. Then off to the muffler shop , I HOPE LOL...I'll be sure and post on here when I do so everyone knows how loud and rumbly it is ......VAROOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMmmm . FAT CAT[sm=gears.gif]
Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 PM
mac

I had flowmasters on a 57 chevy truck, and boy did it sound good. The engine was a small block 283 V8. Are you leaning towards the flowmasters? Understand about the money and you want to do this only once. I was going to wait on the R/T challenger for another year but my local dealership has had one for over a week with no one making any offers. They also won't let you test drive it unless they run your credit history (making sure you can qualify for a loan). This dealership has nothing but trucks on the lot and the salesman indicated the dealership is not moving stuff right now. My luck they will want 10,000 over MSRP so I can help keep the place running financially if I bought at that price. But if they decide to go below MSRP, I might go for it. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: SORRY for more exhaust mods talk