Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

18 inch stock wheels

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 inch stock wheels

Okay will start out by saying I know little about performance cars. My local dealership has a 09 R/T with 18 inch wheels. I thought I would want the 20 inch chrome wheels but the 18's looked really good on this orange chally. My question is, any performance issues between the 18 inch and 20 inch tires? I know the SRT comes in 20, so is this a better route or are we only talking about looks. Thanks folks.

By the way, the salesman indicated they have had the car for more than 5 days and no offers yet, so I might be test driving it in a few days. The car is loaded except for the wheels. Has the hood to fender R/T stripes and is a real looker.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM

Default RE: 18 inch stock wheels

The 18 inch wheels look more like the concept car created in 2006 and I think they look superior to the chromed 20 inch wheels. The tires used for the 18 wheels are a superior product (Michelin Pilots).

Performance differences? The 20 inch wheels & tires will be a stiffer ride (less sidewall on the tires) but the tires will wear out pretty fast. Have you priced out a set of 20 inch tires?? You'll go broke keeping those 20 inch Goodyear tires on this car. I do not think that the minimal performance advantage is worth the expense.

Stick with the 18 inch wheels & tire setup - you will not regret it.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 73Challenger
Have you priced out a set of 20 inch tires?? You'll go broke keeping those 20 inch Goodyear tires on this car.
Should be able to get a good 8000 miles on it before I have to put her up on blocks in the front yard and call her wore out though...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM

The 18 inch wheels comes with the 3.73 rear axle. The 20's come with the 3.92 rear axle. I talk to my dealer ask him if I could swap wheels. I want the 3.92 gears with the 18 inch wheels. With the 6 speed manual trans.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 AM

Default ////////////////

/////////////////
Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 AM

I want to know more about the 18 in. wheels vs. the 20. I like the look of the 18 better way too much 'Gangsta Bling' with the 20's. Someone posted that with the 20's, the tires would need replaced at around 8000 miles. Is this true? So far, we know the bolts in the seats are too long and will probably tear the seat at some point, the trunk has stickers covering the drain holes and the half-shaft is vulnerable, at least in the automatics. I am interested in the 6-speed only, so I ASSUME there is no issue in the manual with the half-shaft. Sounds like 1970's Chrysler/Dodge all over again, huh? Would someone shed more light on all of this?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM

I would think the manual transmission would exert more torque forces on the halfshafts than the fluid coupled automatic. Manual transmissions have always found the weakness of a driveline. The desire to have all the power delivered on acceleration is the main reason people choose manuals. I, on the other hand, realised early in my automotive experience that I was not Ronnie Sox. The reason many early drag racers chose autos was due to less breakage and consistency.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: lew showrank
Someone posted that with the 20's, the tires would need replaced at around 8000 miles. Is this true?
20" wheels on the SRT8 has 2 tire options...
Eagle RS-A all season tires which should be a 40-50k mile tire
Eagle F1 Supercar tires which I understand to be good for 8-12k depending on driving habits

So far, we know the bolts in the seats are too long and will probably tear the seat at some point
I went to my local Ace Hardware and picked up some plastic caps and slipped them on the ends of the exposed bolts. Should not present a problem with this minor modification.

the trunk has stickers covering the drain holes
Obviously not even worth worrying about. If you are concerned I would simply suggest removing them..??

the half-shaft is vulnerable, at least in the automatics.
How many reports have been documented. One guy from this forum so far. I doubt he is the odd man out that decided he would see if he could push the car hard. I personally have driven mine harder and faster than any car I have ever owned and have not had an issue... ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE DRIVEN THIERS HARD..?? ANDRE..?? MIKE..?? BRETT..?? ANYONE..??

Could be an issue of that 1 in 10,000 that might have a manufacturing flaw/defect.

Sounds like 1970s Chrysler/Dodge all over again, huh?
YEAH BABY...An awesome opportunity to own a true state of the art performance muscle car as the lights go out on another era due to gas prices and economic turmoil, etc... better jump while you can!! [sm=gears.gif]

Hope this helps... Cheers Bro... [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM

I got the 18's on my r/t auto because they simply look better. Up close they are very muscular looking and go w/ the car better than the bling 20" wheels. No difference performance wise on the autos.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 PM
mac

I just looked at the car again today and have to agree, they look really good on that orange challenger. All, thank you for all the information and advice.

Quick Reply: 18 inch stock wheels