Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Difference between R/T-J and R/T-F Packages?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between R/T-J and R/T-F Packages?

Hello,

New to the forum,I already posted this question in the news section which was probably not the right place. Anyway, I'm in the research stages of purchasing a Dodge Challenger R/T and while on the Dodge web site I had a hard time understanding the difference between the R/T -J and F packages. Was wondering if someone on this site could help explain.

Thanks
Greg
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Difference between R/T-J and R/T-F Packages?

Things that J has and F doesn't. Auto head lamp capability, power mirrors, electronic vehicle information center capability, homelink capability, keyless go, illuminated cup holder and door pull capability, rearview mirror auto dimming capability, steering wheel controls capability, temperature display capability, light gray leather seat inserts, heated seats, security alarm capability, tire pressure alarm capability, electronic convenience group option, sound group II option.
On the other hand, J package can not have the cloth seat option.
As you can see, the J package lets you choose more options but you don't necessarily get them free, the F package limits your choices.
Probably not the best explanation but gives you an idea. I took these differences from a 2009 sales brochure.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

While I agree with you in principle about the packages and about most of the items you've listed, my botom-of-the-line-no-options F actually has a couple of those things that you've listed as J-only (e.g. I do have temperature display & power mirrors).
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM

I thought I read one was for std trans, one for auto. Not trying to stir the pot, but I thought that was what I read
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Just going by the brochure, I don't know what happens at the factory or what changes were made from the time the brochure was released. The F and J doesn't seem to be about the transmission, on the website both transmissions are listed for each.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM

I agree - it is definitely about trim levels (not about transmission types)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Must have been in an ealier "build your own". I definatley recall going with one package, then picking the MT and the trim package had to change. They may have changed that all around. A real brochure would be wonderful from DODGE not the at 4-5 page thing that only shows the black car
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 AM

The brochure I have says form no. 74-383-2900_6/08 (351M) on the back. If you pick the manual transmission the package has to change from 28F to 27F. The reason you have to do that is because you can't get the Multi-Displacement 5.7 Hemi with the manual transmission. Also, that brochure shows several cars of different colors in it. Blue, white , red, silver, and black. A total of 25 pages or so.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 AM

05flhtcse, you are about 100% right as I have a 2009 R/T now sitting in my garage with the 28J package and what I ordered extra was the Electronics Conveinence Group , the Light Gray inserts( no Charge), the spare tire, 20" chrome wheels, and sound groupII which was extra $ but it came with 276 watts of power and 6 speakers instead of 4 . The 28J page was called the "Customer Conveinence Group ". This info is direct from the factory window sticker that came with the car at delivery. Just to clarify much of what you said, Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

Things that J has and F doesn't. Auto head lamp capability, power mirrors, electronic vehicle information center capability, homelink capability, keyless go, illuminated cup holder and door pull capability, rearview mirror auto dimming capability, steering wheel controls capability, temperature display capability, light gray leather seat inserts, heated seats, security alarm capability, tire pressure alarm capability, electronic convenience group option, sound group II option.
On the other hand, J package can not have the cloth seat option.
As you can see, the J package lets you choose more options but you don't necessarily get them free, the F package limits your choices.
Probably not the best explanation but gives you an idea. I took these differences from a 2009 sales brochure.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 AM
GM1

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

The brochure I have says form no. 74-383-2900_6/08 (351M) on the back. If you pick the manual transmission the package has to change from 28F to 27F. The reason you have to do that is because you can't get the Multi-Displacement 5.7 Hemi with the manual transmission. Also, that brochure shows several cars of different colors in it. Blue, white , red, silver, and black. A total of 25 pages or so.

I have the same brochure, looks like for the manual transmission you have an option of 27F or 27J and it also calls out a 27M?

Quick Reply: Difference between R/T-J and R/T-F Packages?