Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Former Challenger owner driving impressions?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Challenger owner driving impressions?

OK Let's get this straight. I owned a '73 340 Challenger with a 727 auto at 17 years of age and kept that car for the next 17 years of my and our lives after marrying Mrs. Deranged at 18 years old. She knows that the Challenger was the first love of my life and didn't mind. That old Dodge was everything, including a thrill ride for me (and at times for the wife and kids as well) and every day transportation and grocery getter. I will be purchasing an R/T with the six speed and nothing else this spring. I want to know what those of you who own a six speed car think of it as a daily driver as well as performance and also how long you had to wait for delivery if you ordered your specific car. Yep, I'm in my midlife crisis right now and this will be my one extravagance before I begin paying for college for my youngest son. Let me hear it guys. It's up to you to let me know I'm making the right decision here.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Former Challenger owner driving impressions?

How could you not do it..??

The car is everything you would imagine and expect AND SO MUCH MORE...

I would say you are definately on the right track and I would suggest you not even consider getting away from yoour plan to buy.

And then there is that whole grin thing...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 AM

If you miss the 73, and want that feeling back, without the old car feel? I would suggest you jump. It's a great cure for the muscle car blues, and can be used as a daily driver.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 AM

I had a 70 and now I have an 09, and all I can say is get the Challenger. You'll love it. (I gotta admit, though, I don't know much about having a midlife crisis. I've spent so many years elevating juvenile delinquency to a high art form that I've never had time for a midlife crisis.) [8D]
Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM

I have owned a 70 440 challenger and a 72 340 challenger. I just bought an 09 Rt (auto) 3 weeks ago and love it. It is much more enjoyable than the old ones to drive....and faster!! You will love it!!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

My room mate in college had the 73 auto. The 09 r/t is much faster,quicker and nimbleier than the 73's for sure.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 AM

I say buy it, mid life crisis, I've been stuck in mid life crisis since 02'. Live life to the fullest for you never know what's around the corner. Sounds to me like you already made up your mind, do it and feel young again. Put lots of cream on your cheeks so the smile doesn't stay permanent.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 AM

How long are you guys who ordered your Challengers having to wait (build time) to take delivery? I want it built to order because I know exactly what I want. Brilliant Black Crystal, Dark Slate interior, Six speed with Track Pack, "20 wheel and tire package and nothing else above the base R/T package. I'd like to have it by the end of April 2009.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 AM

I ordered my Challenger on July 29 and took delivery on Nov 10th. Its a R/T 6-speed and as a daily driver I LOVETHEHELLOUTOFIT !!!!!!!! It is so easy to use as a daily driver, trafic doesnt bother me much and the shifts are easy to do. The clutch doesnt wear out my leg at all and with the close gearing of the first 4 gears you dont need to do alot of shifting. So far the only worry I have is that someone is gonna rear end me cause they want to get a closer look .

This is the best car I have ever owned, but it also only has 110 miles on it so thats just my first impression. My advise is that if you want one, you better get one because in these turbulent time this car might not be around long.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM

I also have a 09 R/T 6 speed. It is absolutely worth it. The car is amazing. I ordered mine on May 14th and it arrived at the dealer on October 3rd. I now have 1300 miles on it and loved every mile. It is by far the best car I've owned.

Quick Reply: Former Challenger owner driving impressions?