Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

zero to 60 MPH times?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zero to 60 MPH times?

So what are you seeing for 0-60 times on your R/T's (and SRT's) with the in-dash 0-60 timer? My best so far in my stock 6speed (3.92 geared) is 5.29 seconds but still steadily improving with more practice.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM

Default RE: zero to 60 MPH times?

What, no-one else testing their abilities???
Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Wish mine had the EVIC, now that I'm near 1000 miles and temps are in the 30s I'd love to see what it could really do. I know it HAS to be better than the royally sorry 0-60 times that Edmunds and Road and Track came up with, those were freaking embarrassing. [:'(]
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM

From Road & Track (Dec 2008): Although the R/T's engine makes good power and the gearbox and clutch work with a well-oiled smoothness, the R/T hits 60 in an unimpressive 6.2 sec.

As if it couldn't get much worse - 14.5 sec @ 99.0 mph.

I'll bet she looks cute in the rearview mirror of my 2005 Mustang GT...(The Original, uninterupted Pony car). I just don't think that R/T has earned it's ($200 hood-to fender) stripes it so proudly sports just yet.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7179

Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 PM

This article has the SRT8 as the drivers choice while the last one I read Motor Trend had the R/T as drivers choice.

"And in our dynamic tests, the R/T's stability system couldn't be shut off entirely, compromising the skidpad and slalom results. The Chrysler folks tell us that future Challengers with Trak Pak will have a full-off mode.

Sooner rather than later, we say. Until then, the Chall enger SRT8 — which at $41,695 is only slightly more expensive than the R/T tested here — remains the driver's choice."

To each his own I guess.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

From Road & Track (Dec 2008): Although the R/T's engine makes good power and the gearbox and clutch work with a well-oiled smoothness, the R/T hits 60 in an unimpressive 6.2 sec.

As if it couldn't get much worse - 14.5 sec @ 99.0 mph.

I'll bet she looks cute in the rearview mirror of my 2005 Mustang GT...(The Original, uninterupted Pony car). I just don't think that R/T has earned it's ($200 hood-to fender) stripes it so proudly sports just yet.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7179

you truly dont know anything...

challenger RT does 0-60 in 5.0-5.3

do yourself a favor go to the other challenger forum where there are clear posted timeslips that any person with common sense would do. No one with a brain goes by edmunds or MT....I dont even trust car and driver much anymore although they got good times and have a better tester. these magazines need to get people who know how to drive to test their cars.

oh well people will believe these magazines....but the enthusiasts wont.

by the way I bet the mustang would look cute when I pick up the chick driving it, since we all know that the stang is the official chick car of the pony cars.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 PM

I read that article too, and was quite surprised. Given that Dodge promised sub-6 sec 0-60, and we have examples here on the forums of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times better than Road & Track reports, I think they either got a car that wasn't quite running right, or just did not have a good test. Road and Track often seems to record competitive 0-60 times out there, but how to explain Motor Trend going 5.1 to 60, a Full Second faster????

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lenger_rt.html

Albeeno, maybe we can find someone in your area with an R/T who would be willing to defend the honor of the Challenger at the strip. I really do not think the Mustang GT would pull on the Challenger R/T in a straight up, stock vs stock race. I would figure it as a winnable race for either driver that would be decided by launch and shifting.

On whether the R/T or the SRT is the enthusiast choice, I think any enthusiast with the bankroll would take the SRT. An enthusiast on a budget would do well with the R/T Track Pak and a couple of other options if needed. If you are going to buy an R/T with all the bells and whistles, and run the sticker up to 38-39K, there is no reason not to get the SRT, unless you really just don't want the extra power.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 AM

I bought the R/T because the look appeals to me more than the SRT. Granted, I'm a 40-something guy who lived through the original muscle car era and I'm so caught up in that look, that I specifically ordered a white R/T "vanishing point" car, but honestly I don't like the look of 20" rims and I do like the look of the R/T badges.

Yeah, the SRT would run the quarter mile a little faster and might run away from me in an all-out slalom type back roads race. But honestly, outside of Mr. 10 Second Dodge is going to be out there doing that with these cars we're buying (and that isn't to slam Mr. 10 Second, as I'm GLAD he's out there defending the honor of all us other weekend cruiser types).

A nice cruising car that can comfortable take me up to 80 mph on the expressway I drive to work on and look good doing it is what I wanted.

Now having said all that, I'm surprised that Dodge didn't badge the top end car the R/T and invent some new middle level name. SIch that if you wanted the respected R/T name & badges , you'd have to PAY for it. If they had done that, I probably woulda bought the top of the line car (and then dumped the 20" rims so I could get back the "muscle car" look of 18's).

But that's just me and that's why Baskin Robbins makes 33 flavors of ice cream (even though the last time I was in one of those I was disappointed that they have 33 flavors on the books but only like 5 flavors on the shelves - but I digress).
Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 AM

When looking for our Challenger, I compared the fully loaded R/Ts to the SRTs and yes, the sticker prices do come quite close.

I was tempted to push the wife for the SRT but since I already have a my Mustang GT for a streetable track car and "play-thing" and the Challenger was to fill the gap when the Mustang is away for the winter salt season and so I would not have to drive the beater 4X4 truck all winter, I also needed to consider the huge drop in MPG for the SRT for a part time daily driver.

And, the dealer admitted that it was still attempting to charge a premium mark-up on the SRTs and especially the 2009 6 speed versions of the SRTs. So we went with the manual R/T instead.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Suhweeeet!! A Challenger R/T and a Mustang GT. Now you just need a Corvette.

Quick Reply: zero to 60 MPH times?