Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old School Diehard

Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Diehard

Hello all,I have been following the news on here for some time cause the dealers don,t know a thing,and I figured,what the hay,I might as well sign up.I have been looking forward since late summer for the Classic package to finally be ready for order.You would not believe the dealers that I have talked to,that says,no such animal exists.Anyway,I was hoping to get one in a bare bones base car with no options except the stick with the trac pac.I do not and will not pay for such nonsense,such as leather,fancy radios,and the king of all sissy items,navigation.I e/mailed Chrysler and told them my disgust,and they just said see your local dealer,and they will help you.Wrong.It comes only thru the J package. I have owned a fair share of muscle over the years(and still do).and after reading you all posts,I can,t get over how many of you care for the wimpy stuff in a muscle car,shoot,when I take out my machines(old and newer)I never even turn on the radio.I get all the music I could ever want from listening to my pipes bark,now that is music to my ears. Also the last new machine I bought,and still have,is a crank window,no door locks,and no sissy A.C. It is a 1994 Camaro z-28 1LE. One of only 135 built in 94. I bought a new Jeep,and Chrysler m/van for the wife,and the doo dads are nice for her.But c/mon guys and gals,is it to much to ask,to have a true muscle car! They should have some bad to the bones basic runners for us purist muscle owners.I,m buin this car to RUN,not to get groceries with.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Old School Diehard

I got your back, R&R! I like the way you kick a door in and take a seat at the dinner table with just a wink and a grin!

I feel your pain, Brother. I miss the day of big motors in small packages and no frills getting in the way of the fun.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks epegasus,it,s good to know I,m not alone in my thoughts,heck,they should build them to suit the customer,not for their own conveinance.I turned down ordering a new Camaro in 02,cause they would not give me what I wanted.It,s funny,on how years ago,they offered countless engine and tranny options,and made money,and now they offer hardly any engine-tranny choices and they are on the brink of death.The bean counters today have run every business in the ground in this country.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Bean counters motto:
"If given the choice between doing it good and doing it cheap...do it good and cheap!"

I use to work for a company that makes electronics for the foriegn and domestic Automakers. Those fansy electronics are VERY cheap to make but the mark-up is extreme and it adds a lot to the bottom line of the OEMs. I'd rather they X'd the frills and give me an options of Guts. The marketing whiz's have really screwed this country over but we let them do it.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM

I wish I could have ordered the car to my specs as well.
Of course it could not be done, so I had to sit down and figure out what items I had to have. I realized I would save myself nearly ten large by going with the R/T over the SRT. Once this was done, I had to figure out which "packages" included these items. I ended up with a few things I would have rather not had, but my car is still "less loaded" than most. One of the big "deal-breakers" for me was a sunroof. I could have bought three Challengers close to home had I been able to live with a sunroof. I stood firm, and it cost me a trip out of state to pick up my car. In the end, the car that I bought only had one option that I would not have ordered...the R/T hood/fender stripes. Good thing they are just stickers that will easily come off!

If it was possible to set one up from scratch, I would have ordered a bare-bones 6.1, 6-speed, 3.92 axle, and the Brembo brakes.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi NWM,I really like your stickin by your guns attitude.You are dead on that the perf.option sheet on these rides,should be pages long,and the sissy sheet should be short.I dig the retro colors that they are bringin back,but I might have to pass,or build a F package thru the catalogue.Where is DIRECT-CONNECTION when you need them.Your right,the SRT,would be awesome in a build up,or even just stock,in a F type package.You hit the nail on the head epegasus,that,s why every vehicle on the lot is loaded,even in a p/u,you have to special order a base work truck,and even at that,they are super hard,or next to impossible to get.Options have gotten to be so big of a joke,that G.M.has did away with stick trans. in their p/up,s. Now that,s a real joke!!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

The UAW would want more money if their people had to think about what they do
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 AM

Then order the Super Stock Challenger.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 AM

I totally agree with being an old school diehard. I am very happy that I found a R/T Track Pack car with no other options in the color I wanted on a lot. I have since added a few things via Ebay and the dealer parts department. I guess the real issue is that if you want the 6.1 you have to take a pretty well loaded up car costing $40,000.00 or more. I don't feel navigation is foolish. I just got back from a road trip and it's great to have no worries with a paper map. By the way my black Challenger was in Norcross, GA this Saturday and I saw a Hemi Orange SRT in Norcross. That was the only Challenger I saw on my trip. I can tell you, many people saw my car. I can't even count the number of people who wanted to talk about it and most had no idea what it was. I heard everything from is that a new Mustang to I love your car what is it? One woman thought it was a restored 1970 model. I set her straight but it was all fun.
By the way I had a 1LE Z28 special ordered in 1995. Black with tan interior. I hit a deer in that car and the body shop did a horrible job fixing the car. I let them try again and it was still bad so I traded it. I still have a whole folder full of documentation on that car including the window sticker, the invoice and every piece of paper associated with it. I wonder if it's still around. I guess I could run a Carfax to see. It was a six speed with no air. Why? Because if you ordered the 1LE Performance Package on a 1995 Z28 you could not get air. I believe in 1996 Chevrolet offered the 1LE with air but I don't think many of these cars were sold in any model year.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! I just love the responses I am getting,THIS IS GREAT!!! I agree tskatz,that in some cases,some options are nice for some people,but we all have to remember what this cars purpose back in 70,was,and what it,s purpose is now,to be a tire shredder.My HUGE argument is,that they can,t tell me it would be so much trouble just to leave some items off,and have a real runner package that would have no fluff,and all go.I truly believe they would sell thousands more cars,and they would be priced as such more people could afford them.I also saved all of my paper work with my 1LE,from start to finish,I also loved the fact,and knew,they were a/c delete cars.I paid $16,000 and change,OUT THE DOOR. I ordered it in Dec.93,and it came in Mar.94,it has just over 5000 miles,which were mostly put on going back and forth from QUAKER CITY RACEWAY,in Salem,Ohio,racing on friday nights back in the nineties.Tell me all about the SUPER STOCK CHALLENGER jh27nob,I don,t recall hearing about it,and maybe that,s my ticket in!!!

Quick Reply: Old School Diehard