Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Why we need a full size spare tire

Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why we need a full size spare tire

While running a errand for my wife tonight . I ran over something when pulling away from a traffic light. It was a big bolt in the inside of passenger rear tire. I was lucky that I heard the thump thump and pulled over and into a gas station before the tire went flat. Had to have my wife bring the small alloy floor jacks I have . And a good thing her Chrysler 300C has the spare tire option. Had to take a front tire off first and mount the mini spare and then put the good tire on the rear. Now to find someone tomorrow that has the Good Year RSA 245/45/20 in stock . If not guess I'll have to call Tire Rack . Hope the picture will post .
Attached Thumbnails 012.jpg  

Last edited by KyChallengerR/T6spd; 03-11-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Flat tire tonight

I pulled the bolt out and learned it was in a copper tube about 3 1/2 inch's long . Haven't been able to get the tube out yet . Not enough to get ahold of. Here is a picture of the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails 014.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 AM

Default Tire Rack is best for sure.

One tire for about $112.00
Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 AM

WOW, it is amazing that a bolt that size was in the right orientation to get stuck in your tire, 1 in a million shot!

Not debating that a spare tire would be good to have, but did you try the tire seal goop? I wonder if it would have gotten you far enough to get the tire repaired/replaced.

Originally Posted by KyChallengerR/T6spd
I pulled the bolt out and learned it was in a copper tube about 3 1/2 inch's long . Haven't been able to get the tube out yet . Not enough to get ahold of. Here is a picture of the bolt.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM

I tried going the full-size spare route at first, but it's amazing how much space one takes up in the trunk. Now I have one of the compact spares under the trunk floor and keep the full-size tire in my garage. And in the category of wearing both suspenders and a belt, I keep my air pump in the trunk, along with its handy cartridge of fix-a-flat.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM

Default I checked

Originally Posted by tskatz
One tire for about $112.00
At that price plus shipping cost would have been $131.00 I called around today and no one had the tire local or a hour or so drive anyway. Called a Good Year dealer about 50 miles from me in Louisville Ky. They priced the tire at $136.00 And said maybe could have it tomorrow . So told them to get it . Wife has to go to Louisville in the morning anyway. I put the Challenger on a jack stand . As she wanted her spare tire back in the 300C . Another good reason to have two Chrysler product's . Finally got the copper tube out of the tire with some soapy water and smaller vice grip to get a good bite on it . Was chromed on the out side of the tube about 3 1/2 inch's long and very hard metal . Don't have a idea what it came off of . But will do a inspection under the Challenger on a lift when I get new tire on it.

Last edited by KyChallengerR/T6spd; 03-11-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Default One look was all I needed

Originally Posted by mot250
WOW, it is amazing that a bolt that size was in the right orientation to get stuck in your tire, 1 in a million shot!

Not debating that a spare tire would be good to have, but did you try the tire seal goop? I wonder if it would have gotten you far enough to get the tire repaired/replaced.
Got my little maglight out . Saw that bolt and by that time the tire was flat . You could hear the air rushing out . After pulling the bolt out at home I know why . The chrome tube the bolt was in was like a big straw the size of my finger. I could turn the bolt with my hand while waitning for my wife to arrive with the small alloy floor jack and the mini spare from her 300. The sealer would have been useless. I had many people offer help while waiting for my wife. They all raved about the car. I'm just lucky I got off the hwy before the tire was completely flat.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Default I hear you

Originally Posted by RoswellGrey
I tried going the full-size spare route at first, but it's amazing how much space one takes up in the trunk. Now I have one of the compact spares under the trunk floor and keep the full-size tire in my garage. And in the category of wearing both suspenders and a belt, I keep my air pump in the trunk, along with its handy cartridge of fix-a-flat.
The Challenger didn't much like the mini spare on the front. Sounded like something rubbing . But I spun the tire to make sure it cleared the brake's . I had a 06 Mazda GT 6 speed I traded on the Challenger. So I'm used to not having trunk room . If I need to haul something I'll take the 300C . If my wife will let me . LOL I just hate the thought of having to drive any distance on the mini spare after last night. And no one around here had the tire in stock for a replacement. Will buy a factory wheel like on the car . I had planned on putting different tire's on the car. But will just replace the one for now.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 AM

Default A full size spare in the trunk well?

It won't fit in the trunk well where the mini spare goes. You are all speaking of putting a full size spare in the upper area of the trunk. Correct?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by RoswellGrey
The book says fix-a flat is a no no with the tire sensors.

Quick Reply: Why we need a full size spare tire