Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Motor Trend anyone?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Trend anyone?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/ I just read the comparo and the first thing that struck me after reading it was why the R/T? Seems fair to use the SRT-8 with the bembo brakes, better suspension and 425 HP. But I guess they would prefer to use top of the line GT and SS against the R/T. I was not dissapointed with the R/T and thought the performance times to be good. Just wondered why not go with the best performers? But it is what it is and close enough to be a drivers race between the GT and the R/T. But the SS is going to need SRT-8 or R/T with mods. So what do you guys think about the road test?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They used the RT for comparison purposes most likely based on close price points. You know how these comparisons go. It's hard to ever be completely "fair" with them.

/reading road test now
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 AM

hehe this made me chuckle
After all, Camaro versus Mustang versus Challenger is deeply ingrained into the American psyche, the four-wheeled equivalent of the Hatfields versus the McCoys versus...uh, the HatCoys. Doesn't really matter which car we deem the best or what the numbers say -- the feuding factions will stand behind their favorites like a third-grader defending his mom against the schoolyard rabble. Might even be a few bloody noses thrown in if the hostilities escalate to the level of, "Yeah? Well, your Challenger's so fat..."
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM

True , very true. But you really have to love it. Its been a while since the average Joe could get into the fray. Viper vs. Vette I felt like a yapping chiwawa. But now I feel like joining into the rucus and firing some lead of my own. But its fun for sure and nice to see the passion on all sides.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 AM

Wish I could have all 3.

Oh. And a ZR1 too.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM

the only thing that wasnt fair was that they used a loaded rt classic....and it wouldve been 2nd place if it wasnt for the price.

it is fair because all 3 have base prices of 30k..it isnt motortrends fault that dodge didnt make a base stripped 6 speed srt8....sucks but it was a fair level comparison IMO
Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Seems to me when testing cars for performance, they would use similar top line cars. If motor trend wants to use the R/T more power to them. But for performance testing 425 hp vs 426 hp would be much closer. I noticed the writers noted that Gt and SS had brembos. SRT-8 has brembos. They talk about how soft the suspension was... hmmmm SRT-8 has stiffer suspension. But if cost is how they see it then thats the results. I'll buy a copy because I think the times the R/T ran are really good despite the last placement. I wonder why they used a fully dressed out R/T that would make it even more porky?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM

The GT has brembos?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM

I stand corrected on the brembos... thats what I get for reading too fast. Trying to work and internet is a recipe for mistakes. I better go over that procedure I just did to make sure I did'nt read anything into it.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM

I think it's pretty fair to compare the GT vs. RT vs. SS. There was going to be a higher line Camaro (Z28 I think?) but it is "on hold" indefinitely until GM gets its act together. Mustang has the multiple Shelby versions available from the showroom. So this looks like a good comparison of the volume-seller V8 models. But the R/T all optioned up is bad bang for the buck. It is only a couple grand less than the SRT, and not as fast. Where the R/T makes sense is when it is 35K or less.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend anyone?