Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

window tinting

Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tinting

Just wondering how the window tinting is done on these cars with the windows going down a bit when the door is opened and then up when it's closed. I assume we could pull the fuse on the windows until the film drys but considering the lip that the windows push up into one would think the doors would have to be opened (windows partially down) before pulling the fuse. With that I would think there would be a line along the bottom of the window with no film.
How has your nstallers done this????
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Many car models do this, the tinters have no problem. My '09 RT was tinted fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 AM

I've had many car windows tinted. Any good professional installer is going to do the doors with the door panels off (and depending on the car also removing the windows) so that the film decends below the bottom of the visable window area. This allows it to move freely up and down without ever getting caught.

I'm about to get mine done on my 09' R/T but found out my regular tinting guy here in Oregon went out of business -- but expect to have mine done in the next few weeks.

The hardest thing is finding guys who do a good job with the rear windows -- especially difficult windows (which the Challenger doesn't appear to be). I had a 98' C5 Corvette that was a real challenge even for a really good installer.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 AM

Had the windows on my Black 08 SRT tinted (I believe it's 35%) makes the roof line look lower. Had no problems with the tinting and it still looks great. If it's done correctly as stated earlier, there should be no problems. Here in Arizona, it's almost considered standard equipment on cars, with our 100+ degree summers......
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by wave
Any good professional installer is going to do the doors with the door panels off (and depending on the car also removing the windows) so that the film decends below the bottom of the visable window area. This allows it to move freely up and down without ever getting caught.
Ah see there is where my question comes in. I too have had several cars tinted. Mostly at the same place each time but none of them have ever removed the door panel or the windows. What they did was to fold the rubber seal/molding down into the door then when they put the tint on they could put it down to where the seal is. Once I gave it several days to dry I could roll the window down then when the window goes up the molding pops back into place and is well above the edge of the tint. The molding on the Challenger looks to be much more rigid. It looks like removing the panel may be required this time.