Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

R/T vs GTO 6.0

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R/T vs GTO 6.0

I went out to Salisbury on Saturday in the R/T looking for a car show and got kinda lost. So as I made my way around an Acura jumped on my bumper and just kept being a nuisence. Finally he pulled into a turn lane and asked if I wanted to race. I asked him "race what"? He said he had a stock GTO with a 6-speed and had wanted to race a 6-speed R/T. I told him they run mid 13s and just compare your GTO to that. He then went on about not being able to find an R/T or a Challenger at that to run. So I gave in and went back to his place and sure enough he has a 6.0 6-speed GTO. I told him he should win with 400 HP and lighter weight. He said he wanted to know by how much. So we went out to a deserted road that was out in the closed down business section. We hit it off at a 5 mph roll, he got the jump and proceded to put a car on me and that was it. Next from a dead dig I got the jump and he slowly realed me in and passes me by a fender at the middle of 4th gear. We stopped and talked. He said that Dodge was lying if they say 376 HP because I must be putting out more hp to keep it so close due to the weight difference. His car was stock except for the exhaust, said he had the cats and resonators removed. Sounded real loud and kind of glass packed. I did'nt tell him too much about what I had done. But he said he knew better than to jump an SRT-8 now.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story!

I thought the GTO's would have a little more of an edge on the R/T's, but kudos to you. What are your mods out of curosity?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Yeah, thats the same thing this guy thought as well as myself. But this R/T has been a real suprise. The look on this guys face was priceless and I think he found new respect for the R/T. As an ex-street racer from the 70s this was dejavue. I think we will hear more stories of R/Ts holding their own... as most mags have painted them as heavy slugs. Man I love this car. As far as mods I have the air raid intake and the deablo predator tuner. This race was by far the best launch and shift I have been able to preform. I wanted to post the results (even though I lost) to let the R/T guys know that we do put down some good #s and to not be intimidated by the results of the mags.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Street racing doesnt prove much (altho ive done it for years and it isnt a showing of true capabilities) take them to the track and you'll see whats-what.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM

hey lear,

over on another challenger forum with the "kills with your r/t" thread, there are a few guys that have run against the 6.0 gto and beat 'em at the track, but not by much. sounds like it is a drivers race stock for stock.

as much as people want to believe what the magazines say about our cars being overweight sleds, street cred is growing to contradict just that...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM

The best street run I have had to date with my SRT8 was the 6.0 6 speed GTO (heads and cam, bolt ons). It took 145mph on a side street before he would back down, but he didnt drop back much the whole way up.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by germansheperd
Street racing doesnt prove much (altho ive done it for years and it isnt a showing of true capabilities) take them to the track and you'll see whats-what.
I have been to the track and as street car setup... its bad. I can't get traction and spend the rest of the weekend cleaning stick-em and rubber off my quarters. I ran this car on the street only because of the chance to race a worthy opponent and the spot was deserted with really good vision all around. If I had taken it to the track I'm sure it would of been worse for me. But Z-Max did prep better than Mooresville and with my stock tires I did'nt spin as much. As far as my giving approval for street racing... no way. But it does happen when dealing with human nature.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 AM

I agree, track times tell the true tail. Either one of you could have had a half second difference on reacting to taking off.

However, good for you for hanging tough!!! These cars do not seem to have a lot of street respect yet.

Personally, I dont street race any more. As I get older I fear getting caught more. I love going to the track and racing on street car night. I love it when a Mustang (except Germansheppards) make an effort to fly into the lanes to line up beside me. It usually don't go as they expect.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:03 AM

I agree totally 10sec. Its fun to line up and have at it at a drag strip and you have a captive audience to boot. The few times I have been to the track have made me realise how important the driver is throughout the whole drive. I have got good launches just to screw up the shift. I will bring a 13.4 or .5 slip home before the year is up. Last time at Mooresville Drag Strip 1/8 mile my son outran me 3 times in his 350Z. But he also put 3 cars on a C-5 Corvette twice. His times were 9 flat and at Z-Max he was running 13.9s. He is a really good driver and handles a stick like a pro.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by lear4406
I agree totally 10sec. Its fun to line up and have at it at a drag strip and you have a captive audience to boot. The few times I have been to the track have made me realise how important the driver is throughout the whole drive. I have got good launches just to screw up the shift. I will bring a 13.4 or .5 slip home before the year is up. Last time at Mooresville Drag Strip 1/8 mile my son outran me 3 times in his 350Z. But he also put 3 cars on a C-5 Corvette twice. His times were 9 flat and at Z-Max he was running 13.9s. He is a really good driver and handles a stick like a pro.
Those 350Z's are quick..but you shouild easily be able to get him. Go get some practice in and make him realize how fast the Challenger really is. LOL.

Quick Reply: R/T vs GTO 6.0