Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Drag Strip

Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Strip

A bunch of guys from my unit have reserved the local drag strip for a few hours after drill weekend on the 17th. So far we've got five entries,

09 Challenger R/T 6 spd (mine--stock other than skip shift eliminator and hood vents)
07 Vette 6 spd
06 BMW M3
05 Ram SRT-10(heavily modded)
another R/T 6 spd

Should be a good time. Besides the Ram, the two Challys are the heaviests of the bunch so I'd say we are at a disadvantage. Anyone have any tips? Seems difficult with the 3.73 gears to get a good clean launch.

I'l probably get my ass handed to me, but at least my black R/T wins on style. I'll post times afterwards
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AF Pilot
A bunch of guys from my unit have reserved the local drag strip for a few hours after drill weekend on the 17th. So far we've got five entries,

09 Challenger R/T 6 spd (mine--stock other than skip shift eliminator and hood vents)
07 Vette 6 spd
06 BMW M3
05 Ram SRT-10(heavily modded)
another R/T 6 spd

Should be a good time. Besides the Ram, the two Challys are the heaviests of the bunch so I'd say we are at a disadvantage. Anyone have any tips? Seems difficult with the 3.73 gears to get a good clean launch.

I'l probably get my ass handed to me, but at least my black R/T wins on style. I'll post times afterwards
Your gonna get your ass handed to you. Get some drag radials and maybe you'll have a shot to save some embarassment, the Vette will be the clear winner followed by the Beamer. You will have an "F-4 Phantom" going up aganst an "F-22 Raptor"
Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by germansheperd
You will have an "F-4 Phantom" going up aganst an "F-22 Raptor"
Then you may want to slip the guns and go straight to missiles........................
Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Dudes.....I have no doubt that I will have my ass handed to me. We did a pretty good hp/tq and weight comparison of all vehicles involved....the Vette only has 25 more hp, but is 800 pounds lighter.......no way to beat physics unless he misses a shift. Just looking for any helpful tips to reduce the embarrassment.

Will a CAI and tuner level the playing field a bit?

Did a practice run today on a road near my house. Got a pretty good launch, got the tires to chirp after every shift through 4th. Backed off at 90mph due to a residential area rapidly approaching. These cars pull hard, just too damn heavy. That's ok though, I didn't buy it to blister the pavement, but it is the best looking car made today..by far.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by AF Pilot
Dudes.....I have no doubt that I will have my ass handed to me. We did a pretty good hp/tq and weight comparison of all vehicles involved....the Vette only has 25 more hp, but is 800 pounds lighter.......no way to beat physics unless he misses a shift. Just looking for any helpful tips to reduce the embarrassment.

Will a CAI and tuner level the playing field a bit?

Did a practice run today on a road near my house. Got a pretty good launch, got the tires to chirp after every shift through 4th. Backed off at 90mph due to a residential area rapidly approaching. These cars pull hard, just too damn heavy. That's ok though, I didn't buy it to blister the pavement, but it is the best looking car made today..by far.
Repeat after me MICKEY THOMPSON Drag Radials set at 18psi on 17" rims(6sec-2nd gear burn out) 3-3500 launch,CAI and tune (raise your rev limiter too),lighten your car as much as you can IE gas,spare tire,keep your engine cold-dont hot lap,pull all your crap out if the car.Hit up 10secdodge for some of his videos to see how to get a Challenger down the track............ BTW good looking cars dont look good in a rear view mirror.

Last edited by germansheperd; 07-02-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 AM

Don't "dump the clutch" off the line. She'll wheel-hop 'till your fillings come loose!
Drop your rear tire pressure to 25 psi. Hold 2000 RPM once staged - then on launch, ease the clutch out until she starts pulling.......then set the hammer down. Shift at 6000rpm's and she'll be in the power band all the way through the traps. You should avoid wheel spin out of the hole, and if you shift crisply, you'll chirp shifting to second and third.
With the manual, deep stage (stop as soon as you trip the second double-yellow staging lights - no further up) and launch it (ease the clutch out) on the last yellow light before the green. If you see the green light come on on the tree, you left too late.
Depending on weather conditions and no missed shifts, expect 13.8's -14.1's stock.
Have fun!

BTW; I handily beat a Dodge RAM SRT10 truck at the local strip a few weeks back with my Challenger. I was really surprised.... No matter how much HP they have, they have trouble hooking up with no weight in the box.

Last edited by BootCamp; 07-03-2009 at 09:36 AM.