Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Hood Pins

Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Pins

After getting the R/T out for the first time on Sunday I installed the hood pins. I like them and the look they add to the car.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 AM

RareTA
are they the stick on or drill and mount type?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

They are the stick on ones. There is no way I have big enough balls to drill ten holes in the hood. This way if I decide they need to go there will not be any sign of them.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Looks sweet man!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Just wanted to ask why you mounted the pins so as to have the pins entering from the side unlike the original Challenger back in the day. If you look at a ’70 or ’71 with factory hood pins, you will see the pin enters from the front. Not putting yours down, as they look good, just asking……
I have been toying with adding “real” hood pins, but…………the thought of the drill bit slipping, or perhaps drilling the hole slightly off, etc….makes me consider going with the fake pins as well…………
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM

if you guys are concerned, have a bodyshop do it. Sorry to hate on your car, but putting stick on hood pins a car is just like all the ricers with the stick on hood scoops and fender vents.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Lookin good RARE, I knwo you and I have had discussions and been back and forth on the real vs fake debate.

I think to everyone looking at this mod, to go either way depends on your comfort level. I mean if you go with real pins, you drill out your hood, and let's say for arguments sake, you go to a CF or T/A hood, you now have a stock hood that is drilled out, which inturn now limits who will buy your hood. I opted to leave my stock one alone so I could sell it.

Advantage of stick on are 2 fold. if you don't plan on holding onto the car in the future, you can easily remove the stick on style hood pins and bam you'll never know thay were there, thus keeping value in the car.

If you opt for the real pins, well either better be in it for the long haul, and in the point of view of a dealership you risk taking a bit of a ding when resale comes around as you've now altered the car and the next buyer may not like that look.

Real pins do reqire extra costs with body work, drilling holes and well I like the real retro look, and some may not. I have the T/A hood, yes $1500 shelled out and some may think drilling holes will devalue it, however to a true (and I'm not saying anyone isn't) oldschool Challenger enthusiast will appreciate the realness of the pins.

fake or real well that is right up their with turbo vs S/C it's all on comfort and the future outcome.

either way the car still looks sexy as hell with the pins real or fake!!!

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 03-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM

I to perfer "real" hood pins and will more than likely go that way...however, I know there are owners that want to do only additions that can be "undone" at a later time to return the car back to it's orignial state for whatever the reason. (I save any parts I have replaced as well).
Fake hood pins don't look that bad...until the hood is lifted and the entire hood pin stays on the hood......looks a bit funny at that point........but what you will learn is that not everyone is concerned with that.
And, in my opinion in order to get the correct look, you need to make your own mounting hardware to mount the pins further forward towards the front of the hood...this would increase the cost that a body shop would charge.....just a thought.
(If I go with hood pins, they will be real and I will be using 1970 Cuda mounting hardware to get the look I am looking for.......)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM

^ that's what I ended up buying, the REAL deal, 1970's kit with the rounded hood plates and the rubber mounting pads, and yes I am mounting mine clip frontwards hahaha,

I am mounting the pins exactly the way the the originals were set up, more to the front and the side, brackets will be made and hidden well, I'll take pics when we do the work.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM

I am looking forward to seeing how they come out.....................should look great.....

Quick Reply: Hood Pins