Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Strange trip

Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange trip

My wife and I just went from San Antonio to Corpus Christi and back to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We took our 2000 Mustang, largely because the motel we stayed in has a small parking lot and I didn't want to run the risk of getting the Challenger nicked or dented. At any rate, on the entire trip, we did not see one Challenger anywhere. However, we saw new Camaro after new Camaro after new Camaro. Obviously, Chevrolet is cranking those things out by the boatload.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Talking

Thank God you didn't take the Challenger....you know how white Challengers on long road trips seem to attract bulldozers.............at least now you and your better half will see your 21st Anniversary.....(Congratulations on 20 years...)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM

fourwheeldrift.wordpress.com/2010/.../the-depressing-reality-of-camaro-production-numbers/

"The Depressing Reality Of Camaro Production Numbers. GM delivered 46378 new Camaros to dealers between January and June 2010. ..."

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM

The link doesn't work.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I found the article. Interesting figures. About all I can say is that the Camaro must be the best-selling car of all times along Interstate 37 between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

http://fourwheeldrift.wordpress.com/...ction-numbers/
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Roswell, I noticed the same thing last Saturday on a short trip we took in Indiana. We drove from Greenwood to Muncie [about 1 1/2 hours] and I counted 6 new Camaros compared to 0 challengers. It is the 70's all over again.
Bob
Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RoswellGrey
My wife and I just went from San Antonio to Corpus Christi and back to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We took our 2000 Mustang, largely because the motel we stayed in has a small parking lot and I didn't want to run the risk of getting the Challenger nicked or dented. At any rate, on the entire trip, we did not see one Challenger anywhere. However, we saw new Camaro after new Camaro after new Camaro. Obviously, Chevrolet is cranking those things out by the boatload.
they have probably sold more camaros then they have sold challenger in the last 3 years
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM

I will take quality over quantity every time...
Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM

I read the article about Camaro #'s, and while it had some good points, I don't think it tells the whole story. The Camaro gives GM a ton of good press at a time when it is reeling from the bankruptcy/bailout. Will it be their main moneymaker? No. But I'm guessing it'll turn a profit and give them a ton of street cred in the process. So I wouldn't say it's 'depressing'.

Last edited by Thor77; 08-09-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: comma madness
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Just as I expected. GM is truly an amazing company. I called it that the Camaro was not going to win in the sales war against the Mustang. The Camaro would have an initial sales lead due to backlog from a 7-8 year sales hiatus. They did the marketing too early. The true miracle is how they revived not only the nameplate, not only all the mistakes that killed it last time, but made them all worse. The new Camaro is about the only new model that has worse interior than it's predecessor and the last one left a lot to be desired. They focused on straightline performance and fuel economy as the primary issue again. The car is not as livable as the Challenger nor the Mustang for long trips. The styling the worst it has ever been with the rear being a bunch of Corvette rejects instead of it's own design.

Just as before, despite popular believe, Chevrolet is killing GM by pulling the rug from underneath the cash cows. The cost of the High Feature DI V6 is significant with DI technology and when in a pricing war against Ford who doesn't need DI to beat them (or Chrysler in engine output based on rumors about the new Pentastar V6), it translates into less profit per model sold and hurts the potential of the upcoming Cadillac CTS coupe having the same powertrain, killing the exclusiveness. GM should consider taking the car division of Chevrolet and take it behind the shed where Olds, Saturn, Geo, and recently Pontiac is buried and do the same, while digging Pontiac up and with the defibrillator charged and ready to take over. High volume pony cars just aren't going to happen, the market has permanently changed. They ought to lower production and adjust the prices accordingly.

Chevrolet doesn't need the Camaro when it has the Corvette. The Firebird was the greater of the two icons anyhow and better defined Pontiac than a nameplate GM could never explain the reasoning for other than that illogical brand identity nonsense of having the first letters match.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts