Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger Trouble

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger Trouble

Ok, it has been a while since ive been on this site, but i have a problem. I recently got engaged to my girlfriend, who owned an 09 RT Challenger. Im a huge MOPAR fan(i own an 05 V8 Dakota), as is she and even her dad (owns an 09 SuperBee) is a huge fan. Anyways, she recently took her Challenger to her local Dodge dealer for a starter problem in far west Arizona. Lake Havasu City to be exact (Anderson I believe).

Long story short, they found some kind of problem in the top end of the engine. Something about Oil Blowback or something like that (I can get more info if needed, but im hearing this second hand as i was not with her at the time. They said it wasnt messed up yet, but it would eventually and that warranty WILL NOT cover it and it would cost 7500 to fix! Even though she was still under her 3yr 36k mile warranty. Which I believe is BUMPER TO BUMPER! Apparently it is a common problem in the 09's or some bs. So, my fiance freaks out and doesnt know what to do! She is with her dad (who is a old disabled Vietnam Vet and is VERY naive) and my girl is 23 (and very naive as well).

Anyways, the Dealership says the best thing they can do for them is to trade in the 09 for an 11! My fiancee is working full time just to pay for her college and still owed quite a bit on her 09, but she was panicking and didnt think they had any other option! She just started a new job and cant afford to have her car blow up on her, and she sure as hell doesnt have 7500 to spend to fix the car. So her and her dad do what they feel is their only option and trade it in for a new one!

Basically she is now going to be paying 600 a month for 5 years...so basically 90k for a challenger when its all said and done! Which is really horrible considering she is now in debt because of this car and at the same time is about to move basically 2 states away (East New Mexico) to live with me and start a new life!

Now, this just doesnt sit right with me. I feel like the dealership SCAMMED them and conned them into a new vehicle. Am I right that BUMPER TO BUMPER means EVERYTHING? I know i made them fix a paint chip on my truck under warranty because they obviously tried to cover it up with nail polish and they never questioned me! I am very close to calling Chrysler and raising hell! I am even considering talking to my lawyer about a Fraud Lawsuit!

Am I over reacting here? It really seems fishy that they wouldnt fix this "Oil Blowback problem" or whatever the F*&% it is!

Please tell me if this is really a common problem, or some made up stuff to trick them into buying a new car. Also, she has told me that the Dealership is fishy because anytime they would take her old Challenger in for warranty work, it would come back with something ELSE messed up.

So Scam?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM

if it was under the 3/36k then they should have fixed it UNLESS she made wholesale changes affecting performance and they voided her warranty because of it but they would still have to prove that her changes caused the problem.... Magnuson

but to be honest your fiance and her dad dont sound too smart, to put her ( and you too if you get married soon)behind the 8 ball like that with 600 per month payments especially without following up with chrysler for the necessary repairs and as to why they were denied is just asking for trouble.
basically she will be paying 36k ( not 90K) over the next 5 years.

so, are you sure you want to get married??????
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM

No, her car was stock. And in her defense, she is young and doesnt know **** about cars. They told her there was a problem in the top end that warranty wouldnt cover because its a common problem that required you to buy some kind of maintenance kit when you bought the car or some bull****. I know i wouldnt have fallen for that, but like i said, she doesnt know cars, plus she is a blonde.

From what ive gathered, this "Oil Blowback" BS is not something that costs 7500 to repair, and sounds to me like they used that as an excuse to make her feel like she had no choice but to trade it in! All i was wanting to know is if this was a real issue of if they just scammed her into a new car, when nothing was wrong with the old one! I think that if they used a fake issue to trick her into a new car, then that is grounds for a lawsuit. That is why I asked!

As for the am i sure comment....thats kind of personal, and im not going to let one stupid mistake erase a good relationship.

Also, add monthly interest to a 36k car...its ends up WAY more than 36k after 5 years of interest!

*edit 90k is a ROUGH estimate, but like i said 5.9% added for 60 months.....its not pretty

Last edited by shocker88240; 07-22-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 PM

she is at $38124 with the 5.9% interest factored in which is pretty damn far from 90K

and again, is her Dad that car illiterate to allow something like that to happen? and why did she
sign the paperwork?

if you feel she has really and truly been ripped off then you need to contact
consumer affairs, the BBB and your home states attorney generals office and file complaints.
it also wouldnt hurt to contact your local representative and let them know what went on
with this car dealership and the rip off tactics.

it also couldnt hurt to name the dealership on the multiple challenger sites.

also when you do get married, do yourself a favor and handle all the house finances
this is what i had to do when i got married 20 years ago because my wife doesnt have the head
for it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANY defects with the engine would have been covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty. The reason that the condition was not fixed is that there is no real problem. All Hemis have some oil "blowback" that is burned by the engine. There is nothing wrong. To avoid the oil burning, many of us have installed oil catch cans to keep the throttle body and cylinder clean.

Your dealer is guilty of a major scam. I don't know, at this time, if you have any options for recourse. I, however, would still file a complaint with Dodge and the local Better Business Bureau just to give the stealership some grief.