Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 AM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 300M vs New Charger Which sould I choose?

We bought my wife a new 2006 Charger R/T last April in black metallic - grey leather interior.
The car has been nothing short of flawless. It's never gone back to the dealer for anything since we picked it up, and I do all of the service on the car exactly as called for in the owners' manual. We've taken the car on several trips and it averages 25.4 mpg on our "long distance" excursions (that's overall for the trips - not just highway miles). It averages 16.1 mpg in her daily driving (going to work, grocery runs, errands, etc.).
We can't go anywhere without someone commenting on the car - ask questions or just give a compliment. The car is LOADED with attitude, even though it's a sedan.
On the plus side, it's a great looking car, roomy and comfortable, handles extremely well both in traffic and driving the twisty back roads. It has tons of power, but still gets respectable mileage, has an enormous trunk, and the ride is stiff/sporty enough without being harsh.
On the minus side, changing the oil is a pain in the @$$ since the underbody shield has to be removed to access the engine compartment - filter and oil drain plug, and (this seems to be less of an issue now than at the time the car was new) finding the required 5W20 oil for the MDS can be an arduous process. I can deal with that inconvenience a few times a year, though.
The "non-AWD" R/T isn't very good in snow (even with traction control) and negotiating hills from a standing start is a challenge in traffic. The 2007 AWD Charger R/T would be a much better choice if you're going to have to deal with snow.

With a new car, you can get the options YOU want, NOT the ones the previous owner wanted. We have no need for an onboard GPS, satellite radio, or rear seat DVD system, so we got her R/T without those items - why pay for something you don't want or need and pay to insure it too?

If it weren't for the expected availability of the Challenger next spring, I'd probably be getting a 2007-2008 Charger SRT-8 for myself next year.

Your insurance costs for any car will be a result of your sex, age (several factors are used here), driving record, number of miles you drive, and the replacement cost of the car you choose.

Hope this helps.