Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 big questions for Detroit's Big Three

Good article. The Big Three can fix their problem, but it will take some serious changes which will cost a considerable amount of money. Chrysler needs to offer a true economy built by themselves that will match the Civics fuel economy numbers with similar acceleration, while offering the SRT-4. They need to retire the 4-speed automatics in Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. They need to offer the full 255hp version of the 3.5L in the Avenger and Sebring to compete against their competition, with an SRT-6 level option using a Chrysler engine this time. They need to get rid of the W5A580 5-speed and replace it with 6-speed automatics designed and built by themselves in the LX cars. They need to go back and add soft dash materials to all their product line. They need to ditch the 3.7L V6 and replace it with a 4.2-4.3L V6 made from the 5.7L HEMI and offer it with MDS. They should use that in all of their truck offerings and consider using it in the Charger, Magnum, and Challenger as well. They need to offer the 5.7L HEMI in the Dakota as well as an efficient diesel option.

Ford needs to increase the power out of the 2.3L I4 used in the Fusion/Milan as well as either use a taller axle ratio to get better fuel economy and/or get a 6-speed for that level. They need to offer a more fuel efficient option in the Focus as well as improve the interior and add a performance model to compete against the SRT-4. They need to offer their new 3.5L V6 in the Fusion and Milan to compete against the Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry. They need to offer the Yamaha 4.4L V8 in the new Taurus and Sable and revive the SHO name plate. They need to take the Crown Vic/Grand Marquie/Town Car behind the wood shed and put it out of its flaming misery, and replace it with the Australian Falcon with Mercury and Lincoln varients. They need to bring the Escape back to the designers and give it some decent styling and while it is in there give it a slightly detuned 3.5L V6 with a 6-speed automatic for the top level. They need to retire the Ranger and build a mid-sized truck offering the 2.3L I4, the upcoming 3.7L V6, 4.6L V8, and 5.4L V8. They need to offer a more powerful top engine in the F150 and retire their 4-speed transmissions. They should also bring back the Thunderbird and Cougar as model mates like they had during the 80s and 90s with a Lincoln version as well.

GM needs to abandon all 4-speeds in every model except for Chevrolet and use their new 6-speeds. They need to drop the 3.4L V6 in all models and replace it with an upgraded version of the 3800 series III. They need to consider fixing the HV engine's problems or dispose of it. They need to make sure the HF engine is flawless. They need to put comfortable seats in all cars no matter what brand it is. They need to offer the Solistice GXP engine in the G5. They need to offer an upgraded version of the supercharged 3800 series III in Pontiac G6. They need to call the G8 the Grand Prix. The Aura should feature a forced air induction of the 3.6L HF engine as well as a Direct Injection version of the 2.4L I4. They need to bring back both the Firebird and the GTO. They need to make a Buick Regal Grand National again with a GNX limited edition. They need to drop the stupid I5 engine idea for the Colorado/Canyon/H3 and offer the 3800 series III in its place with the 4.2L I6 and the 5.3L V8 for the engine options. They need to make sure to offer soft dash materials on all models except on Chevrolet models.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts