View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Performance Cars Have You Owned?

Well I don't know for a fact what was offered in the Charger R/T, but I do know that the engine I had was a 383. I put a 2x4 bbl. offenhouser intake on it and a set of MT aluminium valve covers along with a set of headers. It had a 727 torqueflite trans with console shift. The speed-O had 150 and it had a 8 grand factory tach on the left hand side. Oil, gas, water and fuel guages. The wheels were magnum 500s and the paint was a redo. Emeral green with a black vinyl top. Man I miss that car. The day we put the 2x4s on it my father had put strict rules down to not modify. We tried to get done before he got home and were not successful. He popped his head under under the hood and asked what we were doing as I tuned the back carb primaries for the task of the main feed. I told him we were putting new spark plugs in and were just about finished. I looked at my friend as if to say BUSTED... But Dad did not notice and asked for the keys so he could test drive it. I said yeah because I wanted that hood closed as fast as possible so he would'nt know what we had done. We stayed and my brother rode with Dad. I heard him drive up the road and turn it loose. He came back later when we were all in the front yard and stopped and did a smokey burn out all the way down the street. When he returned , he said ... man what a difference a set of plugs make. He threw me the keys and said be careful that thing will fly. I about passed out and my buddy said you have the coolest dad. I asked him a few years ago when my two brothers were there, if he knew we put 2x4 bbls on the R/T. He said he had no idea, but that would explain why it ran so fast. We still get a kick out of that story even today. ( I believe the 2 black marks are still on the road 150 feet up) If not they are in my mind and it makes me smile to see him cookin those hides off. I wonder if I can talk him into doing it in my 2008 Challenger and I'll video it.