View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 AM
RoswellGrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question of censorship

I realize a lot of people will not agree with this thread and I now wonder if it won't be deleted -- the first time I've ever wondered about such a thing on this board.

On Thursday, a member -- a regular contributor -- apparently felt secure enough among us, his Internet "friends," to pose a personal question about what some people may consider a taboo subject. In short, he asked if, since his wife and his girlfriend both were out of town and he had the opportunity to go out with a "model"," would it be cool to ask the aforementioned "model" for an ID to see if she indeed was at least 18 years old.

When I read his thread, three responses had been made: one from a "$$contributing member$$" (whatever that means -- does the board need money? I'll be glad to kick in $100 immediately, if someone tells me where to do it) who basically said he had been sickened by the question and decried the questioner's commitment (or lack thereof) to his marriage vows; one from a contributor who simply said it didn't sound as though the questioner should be married; and a third from someone who basically said, "Go for it, dude. She's hot." My own response -- probably more in keeping with the spirit of the board -- in short was: With three women, how could you afford a new Challenger?

After work Friday, I checked the board. The thread was missing. I assumed this to be some sort of glitch.

Today (from my standpoint, Saturday night, although it's 3:28 a.m. Sunday -- one of the joys of working nights is that till you go to sleep, a day doesn't end), the thread is still missing.

Obviously it's been deleted.

Excuse me, but isn't this the "Off Topic" section? That's where the questioner's original thread was posted. In this very section, there are numerous threads about religion and politics, which -- apparently no matter how extreme -- are acceptable. However, the question about dating young Ms. Hotty gets deleted. Why? I don't see any prohibitions against particular topics on the listing for the section. Is it because someone is imposing his or her own view of morality?

----------

Normally, I don't believe in discussing religion or politics in public -- which is why I virtually never contribute to any of these threads. But since we're on the topic, I'll go ahead and give you my views.

Religion: It's my view that NO ONE can possibly know FOR SURE what comes after death until he or she dies, so why spend a lot of time worrying about it? However, if you want to believe the Christian God, Muslim Allah or a Fossilized Tree Stump is the power behind all creation, it's your right to do so.

Politics: The last time I voted was in 1984, which was the second time I voted for Ronald Reagan. Since then, I haven't considered anyone who has run for president worth wasting my time going to vote for. However, I encourage all of you as Americans to exercise your right to vote -- as each of you sees fit.

The war in Iraq: Do I support our troops? Of course. Do I support the war? No -- I believe it's Vietnam all over again and I fear countless American lives are being wasted. I especially feel sorry for the GIs who post here who, hopefully, will be able to get home eventually and buy Challengers.