View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Auto Emissions

I think it is time to clean house of some of the politicans who supported this and definitely clean house of the ones who supported the more extreme measure. How on earth are the automanufactures suppost to meet those demands? Last time I checked there are no conventional gasoline engines in mid-sized cars that can get 35 mpg on the market from any manufacturer. The best of I4 offerings only get 34 in mid-sized cars. It's called a ceiling of capabilities. A internal combustion engine can only be so efficient. I agree that the hybrids are a fad. The fact is they get nowhere close to their fuel economy ratings at all let alone ever making up the cost difference.

50% of vehicles running on E85? Are they refering to having the capability of running on this or actually using it? This is impossible on the second part. We don't have the supply of crops to do this let alone dedicate production of crops for both. This is just plain stupid.

I am getting very sick of a lot of these politicans that they want us to live like a third world country. They whine about purchasing oil from the middle-east yet they whine about any drilling we want to do here. They whine about needing new fuel sources, yet they whine about the fact that none of it is truthfully cost effective. They whine about how we can't produce enough of these newer fuels but they whine when we suggest getting these other fuels from other countries to help meet our demand. I could give you tons of examples. The problem is they need to learn how to shut the heck up and go away because their a bunch of over grown babies who are full blown hypocrites. [sm=rant.gif]

I have a better solution to this problem if the solution is to use the government. If I were going to use the government to solve this problem (which I personally don't) I would do the following.

Require that each vehicle in production has a diesel option that must get 10% better fuel economy than the most efficient gas engine (waving that rule if necessary in heavy duty trucks) and wave the emission regulations that ban them in particular states. Every non-luxury/ non-exotic performance division is required to have at least one economy car model that gets at least 40 mpg on gas with either auto or manual with at least one powetrain offering. Require that all current oil refineries be replaced by 2020 with brand new higher capacity refiners along with a 50% or more increase requirement of more refiners spread throughout the country espically in areas that are not as badly effected by weather conditions. A requirement that all available oil findings that are economically feasable must be pursued when there are any supply issues and no environmental impact may prevent this from happening. All hybrid production shall cease by 2010 as they are a potential safety hazard. Importing biofuels from any nation that is a lower threat than the middle-east is perfectly acceptable. No new ethanol subsidies will be made and will be replaced with Butanol subsidies. The average fuel economy standards must increase to 30 miles per gallon on car models and 23 mpg on truck models. But most of all this one is the most important. All models are required to have a least one performance focused model with a manual transmission choice. This what is a performance model will be determined by having at least 50% more horsepower and 25% more ft-lbs of torque than the average engine output for its class. The fuel economy rules on these will be waved. Muscle cars and sports cars being defined strictly as having two doors, are waved from the normal fuel economy rules as well under certain conditions. Each model must get at least 22mpg to avoid being included in the average fuel economy for the division. Supercars are exempted from this rule. The gas guzzler tax does not apply to muscle cars. What do you think about this proposal?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts