View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
GTO JUDGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rumors- Who to Believe?

Being a former Dana/Mack Truck employee I can tell you final decisions and changes coming from engineering often are last minute and then the rush to to the production areas is like a mad dash to the finish line. I have seen it for over 20 years. It is never a smooth go, never. No matter how well planned something is there is always glitches in the system. It's just the way it is. Why? Hell if I know.

Meetings, constant changes, decisions that were made and then changed is a way of life in the processes. Before anything flies blue prints have to be finalized. Once they are finalized there are revisions. Then there are revisions to the revisions. I can tell you revisions can take a long time to be corrected. I have seen simple revisions take months to be corrected in print. As far off as this car was planned changes will be made until that car hits the production lines.

Assemblers build to what is called build sheets. These build sheets detail every part and the area of the car those parts go on. These parts are shown on the blue prints. Many times assemblers find errors between the two. Most of the time hold ups are in the Engineering aspects of the build.

I would bet final decisions will be last minute. I have seen it all too often. I can believe stampings and such are not forthcoming because final engineering decisions have not been made. You have to experience this to understand how the system works. An easy fix is often difficult to correct. So I would expect helter skelter on this car until the car is ready for assembly, even as the cars are being built they will be correcting glitches.