View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Cuda340

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rumors- Who to Believe?

Just saw this posted on another site from someone who appears to be "well-connected":

"Just received word that the SRT team will be updating the 6.1L SRT8 engine with MDS!! This is a feature that seemed like it would not make it to the SRT engines due to some technical stumbling blocks, but it looks like that has been overcome. I am not sure if the 6.1 MDS will make it to some of the 2008 models or if it will be held off until model year 2009. There is some indication that it is coming sooner than later...

In other engine news, there will be another new 6.1 variant that from what I saw is spec'd for the Challenger only. Neither MDS nor VCT was listed so I am not sure exactly what this is..."

It was also reported that the horsepower of the 6.1 will be increase from 425 to 435 hp, probably due to exhaust changes.

If this is correct, we may be able to avoid the $2,100 gas guzzler tax on this engine and the Challenger may become more affordable. I wonder if this means that the 2009 Challenger RT will be a 6.1 MDS and the SRT a 6.4 Hemi?