Thread: The Camaro
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Camaro

ORIGINAL: Yankee

I honestly can't really tell any difference... but it's not uncommon for prototypes to be a little different than an actual production version.

My thoughts on the new Camaro are thus:

I really like the exterior, although I wonder if the designer (a Korean, by the way) was staring at a 68-70 Dodge Charger when he designed the quarter panels and gas cap location - notice how the 2 are similar? The biggest thing I don't like about the new Camaro is its dashboard - my god that dash is hideous. Naturally those who bow to the alter of all that is GM will love it (hell, it could have the dashboard of a Yugo and they'd still love it), but there's not one thing I like about it. I don't like the console gauges - I know they're copying the 69 model that had those, but that was a bad idea back then too. Plus the speedo and tach look like something out of a 1950's Buick, and those HVAC controls... yuck. [:'(]

The Challenger's interior, on the other hand, is a work of art by comparison. I definitely hope they keep that telemetry gauge (or whatever it's called) - everything else is spot on in my book.

OK, rant over.
Although I disagree about the exterior appearance with you, I must agree with your critic of the interior analysis. The dash is hideous and those gauges are what offend me the most. I think someone needs to explain this to GM and Ford, retro gauges are a bad idea. If old gauges were so great, you guys would have never changed them. Exterior retro looks good, interior retro (especially in the gauge department) looks terrible.

The photo links that Paladin posted look absolutely nothing like the production model. Those must have been earlier concept ideas that were unfortuneatly not implemented.

As far as the pointedness of the photos, it probably depends on the angel it was shot from. The pictures that look pointier are positioned to emphasize the front end's pointy design, the other photos are taken looking directly at the front end; therefore, the pointiness is not as obvious.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts