View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 AM
HalletheChally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery cooling problem

I've been having problems with my 1973 Challenger with a 318 overheating. Its fine when it sits at idle but when I start to drive it she gets so hot that steam starts billowing out from the radiator overflow valve. There was a big steam cloud coming off of it at a stoplight it was overheating so bad. I know its not a coolant level problem because I have driven it when the coolant was low and when it was full, I flushed the radiator about 2 years ago. I just did an oil change and put enough oil in so that shouldn't be the problem either. I recently changed the temperature sensor in the radiator and that didn't do anything. There isn't any coolant leaking from the engine so its not a blown head gasket. The heater doesn't really work, the controls don't do anything and the vent is open but I don't think that would make the engine overheat that bad. The radiator itself is small, only about 19" wide by 26" tall and there is no fan shroud. Maybe it needs a new radiator or new heater core and a vent fan? Any help is much appreciated as I miss driving around my beautiful Challenger. I am going to be out of work soon so I have limited money for this problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/930/B0E299B91716456381257DA75A3D3FA8.jpg[/IMG]